I'm a grassroots referee... Ask me anything.

Wazztie16

On 27/12/2020 at 22:22, Rev said:

This was on public pitches in Edwalton, Nottingham, so I walked off in bemusement, but not far enough for the refs liking.

My old home ground! Good old Alford Road - has been smartened up a little with a fence around nowadays.

Meanwhile, great thread @Wazztie16. Really appreciate it. My biggest bugbear doesn't seem to happen to you by the sound of it (which is great), and is players surrounding and trying to influence/intimidate the ref. I don't see why it's allowed at all at the higher levels. At the start of a new season all top-level refs would need to be consistent and hold the line, but if they could only let the captain speak and book everyone else who tries it, it would soon be eradicated.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 18/01/2021 at 13:16, Carl Sagan said:

My old home ground! Good old Alford Road - has been smartened up a little with a fence around nowadays.

Meanwhile, great thread @Wazztie16. Really appreciate it. My biggest bugbear doesn't seem to happen to you by the sound of it (which is great), and is players surrounding and trying to influence/intimidate the ref. I don't see why it's allowed at all at the higher levels. At the start of a new season all top-level refs would need to be consistent and hold the line, but if they could only let the captain speak and book everyone else who tries it, it would soon be eradicated.

Thank you, I'm enjoying the thread. Giving people an insight into the world of amateur refereeing. 

Yes, I can't genuinely recall an occasion when I've been surrounded by players, it honestly doesn't happen to me. That might be because teams see I'm more than happy to use cards or give someone a public dressing down early on in the game, if needed. 

An early card can help to settle teams if used correctly, it's all about timing and justification. 

I think if I did have a team surrounding me in a game, it would only be happening the once with some stern words to follow to the captain and anyone that stands out that was involved. 

After that, cards would likely be coming out the pocket. 

Hi Wazztie.

I am a huge advocate of a game clock being trialled in football as I believe it would immediately end timewasting. I would like to see the clock stopped every time the ball is not in play, for example:

* goal kicks (including when the ball is in the keeper's hands)

* corner kicks, free kicks and throw-ins until the ball is played/thrown

* goals scored until the resulting kickoff

* substitutions until play restarts

My question is twofold.

Firstly, would you like to see a game clock trialled (lets say 30 minutes each half)?

Secondly, what in-game events are supposed to be totted up by referees to be added on at the end of a half? 

38 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Hi Wazztie.

I am a huge advocate of a game clock being trialled in football as I believe it would immediately end timewasting. I would like to see the clock stopped every time the ball is not in play, for example:

* goal kicks (including when the ball is in the keeper's hands)

* corner kicks, free kicks and throw-ins until the ball is played/thrown

* goals scored until the resulting kickoff

* substitutions until play restarts

My question is twofold.

Firstly, would you like to see a game clock trialled (lets say 30 minutes each half)?

Secondly, what in-game events are supposed to be totted up by referees to be added on at the end of a half? 

Hi Rampant, thanks for the post. 

I'm not sure I'd like to see a game clock trialled, I think more so because I'm a bit old fashioned in a way and I think football has been played the way it has for years, it's been as popular as it has for years, why change it if it doesn't REALLY need it? 

I do understand that technology advances, times do change, but too much change can be a bad thing. 

Maybe it could work at the top level, it's not something I've really thought about. At grassroots I'm not so sure it's a good idea, it's another thing for the referee to worry about /consider, and it's hard enough getting refs into the amateur game with the way things are at the moment, then to add something else, in my opinion, it's better left out. 

In game events, as far as I'm aware, are subs (generally 30 seconds each time unless a multi sub or taking longer than it should), any prolonged stoppage (injury, weather etc), and obvious time wasting (in the opinion of the referee). 

General stoppages like goal kicks, free kicks etc aren't included in the added on time unless they're over the usual length for any reason (ball retrieval from trees / brook being a good one!) 

On 17/01/2021 at 09:11, Sith Happens said:

Yesterdays offside goal for rotherham.

The player who scored was clearly offside when the ball was played, but there was a lot of talk in the matchday thread, and by the commentary team that it hinged on if it touched wisdom on the way through.

From what i understand if it came off wisdom only matters if he was in control of the ball and misplaced a pass to the attacking player, that an attempted clearance or deflection does not automatically put the attacking player back onside.

Whats your view?

I've just watched it back a few times as I'd missed your post (apologies!), for what I can see, it all depends on if Wisdom DOES touch the ball or not. 

If he doesn't, then it's offside. 

If he does touch it, then it's whether the touch is a deliberate play for the ball. 

If so, the offside is reset from the deliberate touch and the goal would count, if not a deliberate play then the goal wouldn't count. 

It looked like a deliberate ATTEMPT to play the ball to be, but it also doesn't look like it touches Wisdom, so correct decision in the game. 

Edit - as an amateur referee that may not be FULLY correct, but it's how I understand the law. There may be a part of the law that mentions deliberate attempt, I'll have a look over the law in a bit and see what it says. 

7 minutes ago, Wazztie16 said:

I've just watched it back a few times as I'd missed your post (apologies!), for what I can see, it all depends on if Wisdom DOES touch the ball or not. 

If he doesn't, then it's offside. 

If he does touch it, then it's whether the touch is a deliberate play for the ball. 

If so, the offside is reset from the deliberate touch and the goal would count, if not a deliberate play then the goal wouldn't count. 

It looked like a deliberate ATTEMPT to play the ball to be, but it also doesn't look like it touches Wisdom, so correct decision in the game. 

Edit - as an amateur referee that may not be FULLY correct, but it's how I understand the law. There may be a part of the law that mentions deliberate attempt, I'll have a look over the law in a bit and see what it says. 

Thanks, what i saw when i looked into it is a deliberate play for the ball and a deliberate attempted clearance are two different things...so the way i saw it is if wisdom controlled it and passed it back to the keeper for example and the offside player intercepted then no offside, but if he attempts to clear it, touches and then it goes to the offside player the player is still offside.

1 minute ago, Sith Happens said:

Thanks, what i saw when i looked into it is a deliberate play for the ball and a deliberate attempted clearance are two different things...so the way i saw it is if wisdom controlled it and passed it back to the keeper for example and the offside player intercepted then no offside, but if he attempts to clear it, touches and then it goes to the offside player the player is still offside.

Yes, control of the ball resets the phase of play, if it makes sense, so the offside is reset. 

If he swings at it, it hits his foot then goes into the air and the attacker gets it then it would still be onside if I'm not mistaken, as its still a controlled attempt to play the ball. 

Let's say Wisdom was on the floor and getting up looking the wrong way when the ball was played and it hit him, that wouldn't be a deliberate play as he knew nothing about it. So that would be offside. 

If all that makes sense. 

I'll get back on the LotG in a bit anyway and see what the terminology is. 

20 minutes ago, Farmy army said:

Why don’t we see free kicks rather than penalties inside the area anymore? Loved watching defenders bricking it on the goal line as Alan Hinton ran up!

It depends on the offence. Its rare to have an indirect free kick offence against the defending team occur in the penalty area, hence not many free kicks to the attacking team. 

On 22/01/2021 at 20:28, Boycie said:

Would you rather have a massive whistle or a massive yellow and red card?

I'd imagine that the problem with having a massive whistle is that they could be rather cumbersome, and heavy.  They'll be swinging around a lot when in your hand.
Not such a bad thing once it's in your mouth, of course, which let's face it, is where it is intended to be.

I'm only guessing of course.  I don't have a massive whistle myself, nor am I a referee.

Do you think spitting should be banned, not just for cross infection prevention reasons, but generally it’s a filthy habit. There are some classics though. The Pep spitting through almost clenched teeth, the Carra nostril technique, to quote two.

Players tend to spit in frustration when missing a sitter, along with the cry of duck off. Get it banned.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

Question for @Wazztie16

When I used to play, somersault throws-in were forbidden. Has the rules changed? If so, it'll change the game massively.

I thought it was just about your positioning when you released the ball..both feet on the floor and so on. I would imagine most offences from something like this would come from players releasing the ball with their feet over the line or one not on the floor.

I just got visions of one of ours trying it....

49 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I thought it was just about your positioning when you released the ball..both feet on the floor and so on. I would imagine most offences from something like this would come from players releasing the ball with their feet over the line or one not on the floor.

I just got visions of one of ours trying it....

And ruling themselves out for the season as a result...

Archived