I'm a grassroots referee... Ask me anything.

Wazztie16

10 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Have you ran into Ed Dawes. Does he think he's the dogs gonads at refereeing as well as radio presenting ? . In truth is he as entirely annoying and constantly lacking in any quality input as he is at radio presenting? .

I actually have run into Ed Dawes, just the once, and quite recently. Not reffing though. 

I played football with him, I think it was 7 or 9 aside. 

On his team. 

I don't remember much about him, except he missed an absolute sitter quite far into the game. 

It made me feel much better about my shooting, that's for sure! 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Wazztie16 said:

I actually have run into Ed Dawes, just the once, and quite recently. Not reffing though. 

I played football with him, I think it was 7 or 9 aside. 

On his team. 

I don't remember much about him, except he missed an absolute sitter quite far into the game. 

It made me feel much better about my shooting, that's for sure! 

That's odd.  Seems to think he's Pele on the radio. ?

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

A few questions that you have probably get tired of answering.....

Q. What gives you the greatest pleasure - is it awarding a penalty or sending someone off? 

Q. how long into the game is it before you decide who is going to win?

Q. Do you agree that referees should be armed with tasers? 

Apologies, I missed this post. 

If it's not a joke question, I would say a deserved red card, or a great spot on a tackle for a penalty are the greatest pleasures, I couldn't pick one. 

Those aside, an advantage for a foul, that leads to a goal trumps both of them. 

I do think we should be armed with tasers, it would be a hell of a lot easier. 

Understand the level you are officiating is not affected, but out of interest, what do you think of VAR ? 

Just in case you 've the chance to discuss with other refs, what do they think ?

Refs are an integral part of the game, they make mistakes just like players, managers, owners. It's ruining the game, no need for it. That's what i think.

35 minutes ago, Wazztie16 said:

Personally, and based on what you've written, it was very harsh imo. 

That sort of thing would've been covered in my very brief pre match to the assistants (offsides, ball in and out of play, don't worry about fouls - too many issues there, and I may overrule you, its not personal, I just might feel I've got a better angle).

That's all at the age I am anyway, no idea as a teenager as I started reffing in my late 20's.

In your situation, the referee would've been better asking for a change of assistant, and asking you to go away from the game to avoid any more conflict. 

I presume you don't know how experienced this referee was? If only about 15, not likely to be very experienced as you can't start until you're 14.

I don't know his exact age, but he was young. 

He seemed to be their ref for every home game from what we'd heard.

Not unusual at that level, every home game we had the same ref Andrew, who was possibly the most unfit man I've ever seen, so frequently got pelters from the opposition.

15 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Understand the level you are officiating is not affected, but out of interest, what do you think of VAR ? 

Just in case you 've the chance to discuss with other refs, what do they think ?

Refs are an integral part of the game, they make mistakes just like players, managers, owners. It's ruining the game, no need for it. That's what i think.

VAR should never have been implemented in my opinion, but I can see why it has been. Too many managers and fans moaning about referees making mistakes. 

It's here to stay, with the cost involved in setting it up in each stadium, so we need to get used to it.

I've not really discussed it much with other refs to be brutally honest, from what I have discussed, the majority aren't keen on it either, with the odd exception. 

For me, football needs the luck of the referee on field decision, if a decision takes 3 goes and 4 minutes to work out through VAR then VAR isn't doing the job it should be. 

I think there should be a 30 second time limit for VAR decisions, and if it can't be cleared up in that time, the original on field decision stands. 

I can't see that happening though. 

10 minutes ago, Rev said:

I don't know his exact age, but he was young. 

He seemed to be their ref for every home game from what we'd heard.

Not unusual at that level, every home game we had the same ref Andrew, who was possibly the most unfit man I've ever seen, so frequently got pelters from the opposition.

Some teams do have the same ref for their home games, they put them through the course on the basis they'll have a ref every game.

11 hours ago, Wazztie16 said:

Current grassroots referee.

I do Saturday afternoon Open Age (middles and run lines), and Sunday morning youth middles (usually u15-u18). 

I also run women's low level FA cup lines, Derby County academy lines. 

Ask me anything! 

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Surely good omens answered this one - angels can't dance. 

Tsk, tsk Gboro - my answer was a quantum gravity treatment of the Angel Density Problem. Mr Pratchett was doubtlessly speaking in more literal terms, though I'd dispute his findings as I've seen a good few angels dance myself ? 

24 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Tsk, tsk Gboro - my answer was a quantum gravity treatment of the Angel Density Problem. Mr Pratchett was doubtlessly speaking in more literal terms, though I'd dispute his findings as I've seen a good few angels dance myself ? 

Narrator : Over the years, a huge number of theological man-hours have been spent debating the question: "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" To answer it, we need information. Firstly, angels don't dance. It's one of the distinguishing characteristics that marks an angel. So, none.

[the scene shows Aziraphale dancing the gavotte with a group of men, wearing the goofiest smile possible to man or humanoid] 

Narrator : At least, nearly none. Aziraphale had learned a dance called the "gavotte" in a discreet gentlemen's club in Portland Place in the late 1880s. After a while, he had become fairly good at it, and was quite put out when, some decades later, the gavotte went out of style for good.

5 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Narrator : At least, nearly none. Aziraphale had learned a dance called the "gavotte" in a discreet gentlemen's club in Portland Place in the late 1880s. After a while, he had become fairly good at it, and was quite put out when, some decades later, the gavotte went out of style for good.

I'll leave it there shall I... ?

What level do you have to referee at to get the top secret masonic indoctrination?

Is it true the "officiating breifing on clubs to be dicked over this round of matches" always has a Nottingham post mark?

Is the power a thirll?

Do you particually enjoy sending certain bamford players off when they ligit deserve it?

How often do linsemen bung up the offside flag because they think they messed up?

Do refereees ever change their minds when players go "oh but ref...!"

Sadly - this is what I thought would happen to this thread, i think most just don’t want to understand and leave the rose tinted glasses on...... fair play to the OP - I’m not bothering anymore with any reffing stuff on here.

Enjoy your echo chambers ??

Archived