I'm a grassroots referee... Ask me anything.

Wazztie16

2 hours ago, Wazztie16 said:

Current grassroots referee.

I do Saturday afternoon Open Age (middles and run lines), and Sunday morning youth middles (usually u15-u18). 

I also run women's low level FA cup lines, Derby County academy lines. 

Ask me anything! 

Do you also play football?

If not, when did you stop and what level did you get to?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, sage said:

Do you also play football?

If not, when did you stop and what level did you get to?

I only play 5-11 a side non competitive. 

I played 11 a side up until the age of about 12, played with mates after that then back into 11 a side for 1 season at about 22 years old, 5 a side after that at Powerleague for a few years until that team folded, took up refereeing a couple of years ago. 

Never got to any decent level in my playing days, I started out as a goalkeeper and really wish I'd stuck with that, but I'm accident prone at the best of times so too many broken fingers and injured arms put a stop to those days. 

1 minute ago, Wazztie16 said:

I only play 5-11 a side non competitive. 

I played 11 a side up until the age of about 12, played with mates after that then back into 11 a side for 1 season at about 22 years old, 5 a side after that at Powerleague for a few years until that team folded, took up refereeing a couple of years ago. 

Never got to any decent level in my playing days, I started out as a goalkeeper and really wish I'd stuck with that, but I'm accident prone at the best of times so too many broken fingers and injured arms put a stop to those days. 

What is the worst decision and worst refereeing performance you have seen in a Derby game? 

25 minutes ago, Wazztie16 said:

I see what you're saying, and looking at it from that point of view, you give a good argument. 

The other option is 'in the opinion of the referee', but again, that brings issues in itself. 

Yeah, when referees start having different opinions, everyone starts bemoaning the 'lack of consistency. You can't win. There is no perfect solution it seems.

A few questions that you have probably get tired of answering.....

Q. What gives you the greatest pleasure - is it awarding a penalty or sending someone off? 

Q. how long into the game is it before you decide who is going to win?

Q. Do you agree that referees should be armed with tasers? 

37 minutes ago, sage said:

What is the worst decision and worst refereeing performance you have seen in a Derby game? 

35 minutes ago, Wazztie16 said:

I'll have to get back to you on that one ?

I wanted to ask that but was struggling to type it without using the words Bobby and Madeley ?

Why are most grassroots refs unapproachable ? 

One thing I preach as both a manager and a parent is to take the refs decision during play no matter what, however most grassroots refs will not take any feedback at the end of the game. I don't mean about decisions made during the game, often this is about opinions, but when it comes to the general feedback we are often told to go through the official channels. 

1 minute ago, BIllyD said:

One thing I preach as both a manager and a parent is to take the refs decision during play no matter what, however most grassroots refs will not take any feedback at the end of the game. I don't mean about decisions made during the game, often this is about opinions, but when it comes to the general feedback we are often told to go through the official channels. 

I think if it’s kids football - they do need to go through official channels. It’s just for their own protection. More often than not the league/FA representatives are down at the park as well. I believe there’s also a scoring system of 100 for each coach to sign

3 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

I can only answer that based on my own observations, I would say a lot of it is down to possibly previous teams /managers not being respectful, I think as a referee and a person of responsibility a lot of referees try not to engage in after match discussion, it's just one of those things, I'm not really sure why as myself, I'm quite happy to chat to managers after the game if needed.

I suppose some of it could also be that referees don't want to be seen engaging in long conversation with 1 manager and not the other for example, it could be construed as that referee being 'pally' with the team, from the opponent pov. 

4 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I think if it’s kids football - they do need to go through official channels. It’s just for their own protection. More often than not the league/FA representatives are down at the park as well. I believe there’s also a scoring system of 100 for each coach to sign

I get the official channels if it's a complaint, however there are some that are quite happy to come over and ask if there is anything they could improve on. This could be, something as small as explaining decisions to the kids a bit more for example.

My own personal view is that it's the worst job in football, I have to do it on a rota myself for Friday games as the league does require qualified refs as opposed to Sunday. However as in everything I do, I always welcome feedback, can be good as well as areas for improvements. 

Last week our ref clearly only did it for the money, didn't take any interest in the game, didn't address any of the players, yet we had one the  week before who was superb, guess which one was happy to take the feedback....

10 minutes ago, Wazztie16 said:

I can only answer that based on my own observations, I would say a lot of it is down to possibly previous teams /managers not being respectful, I think as a referee and a person of responsibility a lot of referees try not to engage in after match discussion, it's just one of those things, I'm not really sure why as myself, I'm quite happy to chat to managers after the game if needed.

I suppose some of it could also be that referees don't want to be seen engaging in long conversation with 1 manager and not the other for example, it could be construed as that referee being 'pally' with the team, from the opponent pov. 

Some managers can be disrespectful, parents are worse. The academy's and development squads have it right, they get you to sign a code of conduct, in it the parent of the child is encouraged not to be vocal during a game. Works a treat in games when I'm watching, so much more enjoyable.

9 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

I get the official channels if it's a complaint, however there are some that are quite happy to come over and ask if there is anything they could improve on. This could be, something as small as explaining decisions to the kids a bit more for example.

My own personal view is that it's the worst job in football, I have to do it on a rota myself for Friday games as the league does require qualified refs as opposed to Sunday. However as in everything I do, I always welcome feedback, can be good as well as areas for improvements. 

Last week our ref clearly only did it for the money, didn't take any interest in the game, didn't address any of the players, yet we had one the  week before who was superb, guess which one was happy to take the feedback....

I was happy to take feedback etc, but sometimes I wanted to get out the place as quickly as I could. You get a feel during the game whether you want to be hanging around or not.

I will also say I’ll agree from observation in kids games, there’s some who’ll be there just for the cash. The way I see it - the refs at kids level need to be the loudest on the pitch, kids need to know what’s going on, they are still developing and need coaching through a match. Strong hand signals and using the whistle appropriately helps. I do see a few who can be a bit wishy washy etc. However the majority are pretty good in Derby Junior League and the YEL 

My question is this @Wazztie16.

I was running the line during an under 13's game, despite being a parent of one of the kids.

My lads team were being battered, something like 7 or 8 down midway through the second half.

A ball was slung into the box my side of the pitch, and I watched one of our lads make a lung bursting run to close down the lad who'd kept it in, meet the opponent cleanly in a 50/50 and clear it for a corner.

The ref, who was only a couple of years older than the players, gave a penalty from 40 yds away through a crowded box, when he couldn't possibly have seen it clearly.

I held the flag across my chest, to indicate I'd like a word (as I believe the protocol was), and told him it was a clean tackle, and a corner was the correct decision.

He intimated that legs had been swept away, I argued very politely, honest to god, that he was wrong, then he ordered me to approach him and hand over the flag, while brandishing a red card!

I did throw down the flag on the touchline, and tell him to get it himself if he wanted it, which wasn't mature I admit.

This was on public pitches in Edwalton, Nottingham, so I walked off in bemusement, but not far enough for the refs liking.

He sent the opposition manager over, to explain the game couldn't recommence until I'd left the premises, so I went and sat in the car, parked on a public road some 200yds from the pitch, when the same manager approached me again.

The ref wouldn't restart the game while I was in view of the pitch, and would I mind driving around until the game was finished!

According to our teams manager, the paperwork was quite a headache.

4 hours ago, BIllyD said:

I've had one ref that wouldn't speak to anyone, during the game never mind after, and wouldn't allow you to speak to him. Wouldn't explain why he had given the decision, threatened to book players if they asked what was the free kick given for. It was the most frustrating match I'd ever played in. 

4 minutes ago, Rev said:

My question is this @Wazztie16.

I was running the line during an under 13's game, despite being a parent of one of the kids.

My lads team were being battered, something like 7 or 8 down midway through the second half.

A ball was slung into the box my side of the pitch, and I watched one of our lads make a lung bursting run to close down the lad who'd kept it in, meet the opponent cleanly in a 50/50 and clear it for a corner.

The ref, who was only a couple of years older than the players, gave a penalty from 40 yds away through a crowded box, when he couldn't possibly have seen it clearly.

I held the flag across my chest, to indicate I'd like a word (as I believe the protocol was), and told him it was a clean tackle, and a corner was the correct decision.

He intimated that legs had been swept away, I argued very politely, honest to god, that he was wrong, then he ordered me to approach him and hand over the flag, while brandishing a red card!

I did throw down the flag on the touchline, and tell him to get it himself if he wanted it, which wasn't mature I admit.

This was on public pitches in Edwalton, Nottingham, so I walked off in bemusement, but not far enough for the refs liking.

He sent the opposition manager over, to explain the game couldn't recommence until I'd left the premises, so I went and sat in the car, parked on a public road some 200yds from the pitch, when the same manager approached me again.

The ref wouldn't restart the game while I was in view of the pitch, and would I mind driving around until the game was finished!

According to our teams manager, the paperwork was quite a headache.

Would you like 5 minutes minimum added time for the question? ?

Just now, Wazztie16 said:

Would you like 5 minutes minimum added time for the question? ?

Should I have been sent off? 

Absolutely no foul language used, just questioning how good the refs view was compared to my unobstructed view?

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

Should I have been sent off? 

Absolutely no foul language used, just questioning how good the refs view was compared to my unobstructed view?

Personally, and based on what you've written, it was very harsh imo. 

That sort of thing would've been covered in my very brief pre match to the assistants (offsides, ball in and out of play, don't worry about fouls - too many issues there, and I may overrule you, its not personal, I just might feel I've got a better angle).

That's all at the age I am anyway, no idea as a teenager as I started reffing in my late 20's.

In your situation, the referee would've been better asking for a change of assistant, and asking you to go away from the game to avoid any more conflict. 

I presume you don't know how experienced this referee was? If only about 15, not likely to be very experienced as you can't start until you're 14.

7 hours ago, Wazztie16 said:

Current grassroots referee.

I do Saturday afternoon Open Age (middles and run lines), and Sunday morning youth middles (usually u15-u18). 

I also run women's low level FA cup lines, Derby County academy lines. 

Ask me anything! 

Have you ran into Ed Dawes. Does he think he's the dogs gonads at refereeing as well as radio presenting ? . In truth is he as entirely annoying and constantly lacking in any quality input as he is at radio presenting? .

Archived