v Birmingham (A) - Matchday Thread

19 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

But dreaming of what might be is what it's all about! 

You know mate I never understood this until a few years back. It is a life lesson. I grew up supporting another team who won a lot, where expectations were forever high, the entitlement was in the DNA. They weren’t wrong as such. I never understood what it meant, what mental process the struggle really meant. All those cliches about triumph and disaster mean less if you haven’t suffered years of hurt with little respite. If you have then any joy is multiplied many fold if you are outside the elite. Last nights result was like a champions league semi - The team and Rooney showed they don’t want to be statistical fodder in an appendix. 

it was the 4th that did it for me. Joz, kicked to death all night delivers a dream for Knight who saw and timed what he had to do  .. boys being men, turned a thrashing into a rout  ..Every bit as heart warming as Cantona puffing out his chest after a moment of genius  .. These are the guys who do it right and do it for us. ... I can’t tell you how I’ll feel if do a good job and beat Wednesday but it will be so sweet and fulfilling. 

PS .. I am a drama queen 🤣

20 hours ago, angieram said:

Nerves. Has scored enough crackers to know he can do it. When one goes in more will follow.

Actually most of his shots were pretty much on target - he was kept out be good saves by their keeper, he put a couple wide, and would have scored our 3rd of Colin hadn't gate crashed the party. He got a Will Hughes back-heel flick on it and it was heading in, but Colin, as all strikers should, made sure.

What I like about Sibley is that the first thing on his mind is "ATTACK", and he never gives up. So although he had several shots last night, not scoring isn't an issue because what he does is puts a defence into shell-shock, and scoring chances will always follow as a result.

His being in the starting line up last night was a delight. Its about time!

Edited by DavesaRam
42 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Actually most of his shots were pretty much on target - he was kept out be good saves by their keeper, he put a couple wide, and would have scored our 3rd of Colin hadn't gate crashed the party. He got a Will Hughes back-heel flick on it and it was heading in, but Colin, as all strikers should, made sure.

What I like about Sibley is that the first thing on his mind is "ATTACK", and he never gives up. So although he had several shots last night, not scoring isn't an issue because what he does is puts a defence into shell-shock, and scoring chances will always follow as a result.

His being in the starting line up last night was a delight. Its about time!

Yep sibley shoots - which I like 

So my son offered me his Sky Go, so I set about watching the footy with my daughter, all csy and fed ready for the 7.45 kick-off ass usual. Only to see  a Whatsapp from my son "Nice start!"   WWWHHHAAATTTTT??????????????

Yep - We'd missed the first 20 minutes, clocking in a few minutes before goal 3! And we got a penalty. So that's a good ref and now a penalty in the same season! Terrific!

Most of you will have seen me ranting on here every month or two about the need for us to play a high pressing, quick passing game with the emphasis on switching to attack as soon as. And that we have done it in the past, and it has worked, only for us to revert to type, and this has been happening for several years.

Last night it is exactly what we did, and it worked! And for the first time, probably ever, we proved to be fit enough to play that way for the entire 90 minutes plus, so we were still pressing forwards at the end, and CKR was still chasing back nearly at 80 minutes, getting a thundering tackle by the right back corner flag!

We have balance, we have bite and tenacity, we have a team playing as a unit, and the ability is shining through. Brilliant! And no, the one good ref I mentioned wasn't last night's. although he as better than some. But he still gave Birmingham nearly everything they wanted free-kick wise, whilst offering no protection to Joswiack and Sibley as they were kicked to kingdom come and back. Sibley even had the temerity to ask the ref "how many fouls before you do something about it?" Maybe that is why the ref nobbled Sibley for probably his first foul, as noted by Ramnut.

We seem to be heading back to the days of expecting to win no matter who the opposition is!

I stayed on Sky Go and watched the Forest-Stoke match - counselling has been arranged! It wasn't good, not at all. Forest will claim to have been the better side in the second half, but that is not much of an achievement. They were disjointed and lacking in confidence. There is nohting for us to worry about on last night's showing.

If only Cocu had known what he had got available to him, and how to use it!

And well done Wayne and Steve, and Mel!

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sorry, I misread what you put. 

Wilson had a good return last season with 6 goals and 6 assists in 17 games (all competitions), but seems to be struggling a bit now he's playing against stronger, quicker defenders in the U23s. I think he needs another season at that level before being ready to play against seasoned pros.

With the way Gordon plays, size doesn't seem to matter so making the step up each level is a smooth transition. I think the same will apply with him playing in the first team. However, his integration needs to be slow due to his age.

However, Wilson prefers the left, Gordon prefers the right. 

Both left footers though. As you say - no hurry. Let’s get Sibley in there first.

On 30/12/2020 at 01:33, RamNut said:

watson and Gordon were a bit of a surprise though. I would have thought a few others would be ahead of them. 

Agree with this. I made the observation earlier in the thread. Seemed strange to me.

Watson I don’t really get and Gordon is a clear message to either get him to put pen to paper or to bump up his value.

Poor second half but I enjoy watching Derby again. Same old in terms of finishing but at least we create multiple chances.  We win second balls and individual battles (first half) and mix it up with direct and short balls at times. We even look more dangerous from set pieces these days. Shame about the result because we were overall the better team but a lot of positives, at least from the first half of the match. 

On 30/12/2020 at 10:19, RamNut said:

I know you follow the youngsters closely and it’s always interesting to get your view.

I think Watson has played well for the u23s but Hutchinson has been even better.  

The youngsters don’t look out of place and I’m pleased that we are sheep dipping quite a few. I suspect we will see Hutchinson and maybe shonibare as well before too long. 

I’m not sure we’ll see Hutchinson anytime soon before the take over. Given that Watson has already made an appearance ahead of him, I can only assume there are some financial implications to pay Southend linked to his appearances for us.

On 30/12/2020 at 18:43, jono said:

You know mate I never understood this until a few years back. It is a life lesson. I grew up supporting another team who won a lot, where expectations were forever high, the entitlement was in the DNA. They weren’t wrong as such. I never understood what it meant, what mental process the struggle really meant. All those cliches about triumph and disaster mean less if you haven’t suffered years of hurt with little respite. If you have then any joy is multiplied many fold if you are outside the elite. Last nights result was like a champions league semi - The team and Rooney showed they don’t want to be statistical fodder in an appendix. 

it was the 4th that did it for me. Joz, kicked to death all night delivers a dream for Knight who saw and timed what he had to do  .. boys being men, turned a thrashing into a rout  ..Every bit as heart warming as Cantona puffing out his chest after a moment of genius  .. These are the guys who do it right and do it for us. ... I can’t tell you how I’ll feel if do a good job and beat Wednesday but it will be so sweet and fulfilling. 

PS .. I am a drama queen 🤣

life lesson.......sweet and fullfilling.......drama queen.............Derby County.........Chorley next!

Edited by Inverurie Ram