v Birmingham (A) - Matchday Thread

Comrade 86

The reason for optimism is because our last 8 games under Rooney  is W3 D4 L1 with 5 clean sheets, in that run we’ve had Stoke Brentford and Swansea all competing towards the top end of the league. We played Swansea off the park. 

A few weeks ago we couldn’t beat poor teams. Now we realise there are lots of teams in this league who are worst than us. We are in the position we’re in because of our disastrous start of the season, our current form over the past 8 games is completely different and would have us pushing the top 6. Yes we need to keep it going but I see no reason why we won’t. This run of 8 games had been no easier than the previous 8 games. Our improvement is not because we are playing poor teams, it is down to us improving - significantly.

We will be nowhere near relegation and comfortably mid table. But that will only be a “par” season, no one expects us to be in the bottom 3 and now we are showing why that’s the case.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

you're being ironic and of course it was an exhilarating score line.  But the reality is we were better against Preston (putting aside one tackle).  We're a top 6 team and for much of the second half today we looked no better than Birmingham.    

Wow 

Obviously the scoreline confirms our attacking threat but what struck me was how well they played as a cohesive unit. None of the disjointedness of much of the season, it just flowed & Birmingham had little answer.

Sibley's inclusion was a masterstroke & was delighted at how well he played on the left, particularly first half. He was the antithesis of everything we've been this season - direct, played with purpose, looked to commit defenders & got a shot off at every opportunity. He's struggled at various points this season playing up top/number 10 - think a spot out wide suits his skillset very well.

The highlight for me though was how often Sibley seemed to be playing off CKR's shoulder - a willing recipient of Kazim's knockdowns & clever little passes. With Jozwiak causing carnage right side & Knight offering a proper box to box threat, we all looked on the same wavelength & a real threat. If we keep that unit fit & on form, we'll be causing much better teams than Birmingham problems.

Also big congratulations to Kaide Gordon & Louie Watson - couldn't believe Kaide had been given a spot on the bench (not even played under 23's football yet!) but no doubt a fantastic experience for both.

Very pleased for Jason knight to get the sky bet MoM award.

He’s always great, never has a bad game, and is so mature. It was fantastic to see him get a goal at last but I think he has played even better than that. He was having a quiet game by his standards until he got pushed into sibley’s position. where he finds the energy from is a complete mystery.

having said that I think Sibley would have got MoM had he not been subbed. He was a constant menace.  I assume he was subbed because of the yellow card. I didn’t think it was a yellow in the context of a game where the ref let plenty go. It was almost ironic. Sibley got clattered and chopped on numerous occasions, with no obvious yellows dished out. Then he commits one foul and is immediately booked. Crackers.

but it was great to see him back, and especially good to see knight and Sibley on the pitch together.  

Those two players fill me with optimism. Buchanan is also very good. 

massive credit to the academy for now producing ten players who have appeared this season:

mcdonald, Buchanan, bird, knight, sibley, Whittaker, stretton, hector-Ingram, Watson, Gordon.

and what’s pleasing is that there are surely more to come - Wilson, brown a, Duncan, Hutchinson, ebosele, Solomon etc.

Well done Melvyn. ?

7 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Also big congratulations to Kaide Gordon & Louie Watson - couldn't believe Kaide had been given a spot on the bench (not even played under 23's football yet!) but no doubt a fantastic experience for both.

Footy Mum (can't remember her proper username) called it spot on. I think her lad must play for the club as every time I've seen her call something, she's been on the mark. The only true ITK on this forum! 

1 hour ago, Stockport Ram said:

Born in Acocks Green. Hated the smarmy, under achieiving, smug, knuckle dragging, intellectually challenged locals for half a century.

Time for a Christmas carol. methinks....

Good King Rooney’s lads ran out,

On a Tuesday evening,

When Bluenoses planned a rout,

But without believing,

Shinnie, Bielik, Jason Knight,

They all won their duels,

Comprehensive Derby might,

Nailed the Brummie Mules

The carol undermines the force of the wonderful first half of your post.

Great performance tonight. Work rate was impressive. Thought Sibley, Bielik and Knight fantastic and Clarke is at least getting his headers lower from corners- obviously been working on keeping them down. Byrne making good runs and Joswiak a constant threat. Kazim Richards a handful with really good work rate and attitude. I hope all our ‘fans’ complaining about this ‘terrible’ signing before he even kicked a ball will think twice judging players in the future before they have even played for us. 

46 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We'll turn, we usually do. 

Wasn't it earlier this season that we couldn't wait for Lawrence and Waggy to return as they were the experienced players and we weren't getting anywhere with the kids. 

Now we're glad they're both out so we can play more of the kids as they're the future..... ??

Keep your turning to yourselves...................

49 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

The reason for optimism is because our last 8 games under Rooney  is W3 D4 L1 with 5 clean sheets, in that run we’ve had Stoke Brentford and Swansea all competing towards the top end of the league. We played Swansea off the park. 

A few weeks ago we couldn’t beat poor teams. Now we realise there are lots of teams in this league who are worst than us. We are in the position we’re in because of our disastrous start of the season, our current form over the past 8 games is completely different and would have us pushing the top 6. Yes we need to keep it going but I see no reason why we won’t. This run of 8 games had been no easier than the previous 8 games. Our improvement is not because we are playing poor teams, it is down to us improving - significantly.

We will be nowhere near relegation and comfortably mid table. But that will only be a “par” season, no one expects us to be in the bottom 3 and now we are showing why that’s the case.

Totally. The contrast with our style under the previous permanent regime couldn’t be starker. Wazza has transformed us and looks every bit the man in charge. People talk about experience but experience is nothing if you don’t know what you’re doing - and it’s nothing if you do know what you’re doing. Get my drift? 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Nerves. Has scored enough crackers to know he can do it. When one goes in more will follow.

I used to suffer from pre match nerves, once the game is underway though they never came into it, unless it was a pen for example. It's completely different scoring crackers as you put it, compared to having composure when one on one or in the 18 yard box, which is why goal scorers are at a premium.

He is young and will get better but in my opinion he is going to much for power over placement, however that's very easy to say watching from the TV.

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

you're being ironic and of course it was an exhilarating score line.  But the reality is we were better against Preston (putting aside one tackle).  We're a top 6 team and for much of the second half today we looked no better than Birmingham.    

We're not a top 6 team, we are a bottom 6 one, last season we weren't a top 6 one either and the season before when we scraped in as one, we had an 3 top quality loan players and a couple of other good ones that have since left the club.

As for the second half today, we did what we needed to and saw the game out, the game is about 90 not 45 minutes.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Very pleased for Jason knight to get the sky bet MoM award.

He’s always great, never has a bad game, and is so mature. It was fantastic to see him get a goal at last but I think he has played even better than that. He was having a quiet game by his standards until he got pushed into sibley’s position. where he finds the energy from is a complete mystery.

having said that I think Sibley would have got MoM had he not been subbed. He was a constant menace.  I assume he was subbed because of the yellow card. I didn’t think it was a yellow in the context of a game where the ref let plenty go. It was almost ironic. Sibley got clattered and chopped on numerous occasions, with no obvious yellows dished out. Then he commits one foul and is immediately booked. Crackers.

but it was great to see him back, and especially good to see knight and Sibley on the pitch together.  

Those two players fill me with optimism. Buchanan is also very good. 

massive credit to the academy for now producing ten players who have appeared this season:

mcdonald, Buchanan, bird, knight, sibley, Whittaker, stretton, hector-Ingram, Watson, Gordon.

and what’s pleasing is that there are surely more to come - Wilson, brown a, Duncan, Hutchinson, ebosele, Solomon etc.

Well done Melvyn. ?

I don't think we can ever include signings such as Roos, Watson, Trialist, Duncan or Hutchinson as academy graduates (having joined aged 21, 19, 20, 19 and 20). The limit for me is those who join at 16, such as Ibrahim.

You also missed JBrown from your list of players to have played this season.

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Imagine that, a team who made 4 changes at half time after a 3-0 first half performance improving and the team 3 goals in front choosing to manage the game and not leave themselves open to any kind of a comeback. How strange. 

59 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't think we can ever include signings such as Roos, Watson, Trialist, Duncan or Hutchinson as academy graduates (having joined aged 21, 19, 20, 19 and 20). The limit for me is those who join at 16, such as Ibrahim.

You also missed JBrown from your list of players to have played this season.

Who mentioned Roos?

I don’t mind the fact that some came to us late in the day. That shows smarter recruitment. we’re not spending silly money on them. If they develop in the u23s that still reflects well on the people whose job is to produce players for the first team squad.

watson and Gordon were a bit of a surprise though. I would have thought a few others would be ahead of them. 

Archived