v Birmingham (A) - Matchday Thread

Comrade 86

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Watch the video again - he doesn't look vaguely 'fired up'. Not a rush of blood, just a bloody awful attempt at a tackle.

Tbf it's a mis-timed strikers tackle with his weaker foot that looks worse the more you see it. You could see by his reaction that he was upset at the realisation he'd let his team mates down. 

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Because he chose to join Barcelona and Milan where he will struggle to get a game. 

Makes you wonder why he would he choose to go to clubs were he's always out on loan? Also, an attacking midfield player that averages one goal a season? 

Barcelona released him on a free transfer. Milan then immediately sent out on loan to Standard Liege who had an option to buy but instead his loan was cancelled.  Hamburg and Las Palmas also had options to buy but didn't exercise them. Milan then terminated his contract by mutual consent (all according to Wikipedia). 

He may turn out to be a hidden gem but his CV doesn't look great. A 24 year old free agent doesn't really sound so good either. As I say though, I've never heard of him or seen him play. 

Genuine question, have you seen him play much/at all?

I expect we'll have insufficient energy after playing with 10 men from the 20th minute and failing to make any subs (until one in the 85th minute). Because of that a lacklustre performance likely beckons here. I really hope I'm wrong but this Covid season more than any other is about managing energy levels across the fixtures. You can't expect the same 11 players to perform with really high intensity for 98 minutes every 3 days. It's not physically possible. If they somehow manage it here, they won't the game after.

Alternatively, Rooney's poor choices against Preston may now force him to disrupt the team with a lot of changes. I would rather we played a settled 11 starters with 5 finishers to come on in a planned manner through the match. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Makes you wonder why he would he choose to go to clubs were he's always out on loan? Also, an attacking midfield player that averages one goal a season? 

Barcelona released him on a free transfer. Milan then immediately sent out on loan to Standard Liege who had an option to buy but instead his loan was cancelled.  Hamburg and Las Palmas also had options to buy but didn't exercise them. Milan then terminated his contract by mutual consent (all according to Wikipedia). 

He may turn out to be a hidden gem but his CV doesn't look great. A 24 year old free agent doesn't really sound so good either. As I say though, I've never heard of him or seen him play. 

Genuine question, have you seen him play much/at all?

I have followed him ever since he was at Dinamo Zagreb where he was very highly rated. Sometimes these very precocious young players are too individualistic, too maverick to fit into a team. Sometimes they struggle to transition to playing alongside senior pros. They can also be ruined by wealthy clubs making them millionaires when they are too young to handle it all. 

but he’s got to be worth a gamble.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I have followed him ever since he was at Dinamo Zagreb where he was very highly rated. Sometimes these very precocious young players are too individualistic, too maverick to fit into a team. Sometimes they struggle to transition to playing alongside senior pros. They can also be ruined by wealthy clubs making them millionaires when they are too young to handle it all. 

but he’s got to be worth a gamble.

Even though he might be precocious, individualistic and too maverick to fit into a team? 

Sorry, didn't mean to pick on you it just seems like if he was any good his CV would look a bit better and at 24 he should have matured a bit more now. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Even though he might be precocious, individualistic and too maverick to fit into a team? 

Sorry, didn't mean to pick on you it just seems like if he was any good his CV would look a bit better and at 24 he should have matured a bit more now. 

If he’d just stayed at Zagreb he would probably be rated similar to kovacic now. 
he’ll get there. 

I would consider a slight change in formation I would go with 352 formation here is way. I put extra a body in midfield were perhaps we can streat Birmingham city were ex boro manager he often likes to play tight midfield not far from there defenders looking to sit deep trying counter us 

In attack I would consider Richard's with rather stracttion lad or joshwick upfront with him and have selby or Lawrence in midfield looking to join the attack.

On 27/12/2020 at 05:56, 86 Hair Islands said:

Some tough calls for Rooney to make. What I really do want to see is some effective use of the 5 subs rule in this game, but it's a fine line as a loss would see recent progress derailed and pressure mount, yet overplaying the likes of Bielik and Kazim could have far longer-lasting ramifications should either pick up an injury. Neither has played much football recently and we simply can't risk burning them out either, with so many games still to play.

The other quandary for me is Andre Wisdom. He's such a bull of a man that I think it's rather too easy to underplay the seriousness of what happened to him. Prior to what must have been a pretty harrowing attack, he was back in prime form and playing his best football since his initial loan. Most recently he has looked to be re-finding some form, but he has developed a tendency to switch off at critical moments which whilst understandable, is costing us dear. With Curtis out though, our options all beg questions; George Evans is himself very short of game-time, Fozzy has never looked a natural at CB and Solomon who while highly promising, lacks experience. Not ideal against a side with Hogan and Jutkiewicz available for the striking role, but I'd be resting Andre and drafting in Evans who has played well at times against the kind of aerial bombardment we may well see against Birmingham.

I think it's also a 'now or never' moment for Jordon Ibe - he must surely be fit enough to start a game and I'd rather risk him being shy of match fitness, than pitch in with Lawrence from the start who has looked woefully out of sorts since the first lockdown. Perhaps Jordon can get 50-60 minutes under his belt with Tom given a chance against tired legs in the final 30. Jozwiak has certainly earned a rest but JHI is not showing anywhere near enough for me right now and with reluctance and in the hope we are leading at the time, I'd be looking to get another 60-70 minutes from the Jozzy before giving him a well-earned rest. Stretton seems the obvious replacement for the ever hard-working Kazim, with Bird and Sibley as possible replacements for Bielik and Shinnie.

I think I'd line up as follows, with the subs to get at least 20-30 minutes:

image.png.b62e2236857194d81919229c198c449d.png

I think this is a tough game coming so soon after a hard shift against a very physical Preston side, but if we can start fast and take our chances, I can see us grafting a hard-fought 2-1 win with Colin and Jozzy getting the goals.

COYR

I would go for that side also.

I actually really liked the balance of the side in the second half even with 10 and it has me thinking that we could make a diamond work. Especially with Waghorn out and likely Ibe or Lawrence not quite right to start I'd be tempted to go with something like:

Marshall

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan

Bielik

Knight      Shinnie

Sibley

CKR    Jozwiak

What I actually think we will do is name a 4231 with Sibley shoe-horned in on the wing.

2 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

Anyone in the St Andrew’s area reckon the game could be postponed due to the weather?

Live just outside Birmingham, we had a lot of snow overnight but currently it’s only a light sheet, nothing too difficult to clear away. If it snows heavily tonight though, which apparently might happen, then we’ll have to see what the weather looks like in the morning. 

1 hour ago, RhylRam said:

So is this available to watch on Rams Tv for season ticket holders Sure I read article on website yesterday  saying was available for us Now just seen latest on website saying not available confused ! ?

No, it appears the EFL have re-classified it at the eleventh hour as a bank holiday fixture rather than a midweek fixture, even though

a) it isn't a bank holiday

b) it is in midweek.

Archived