v Birmingham (A) - Matchday Thread

Comrade 86

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

We are nearly top 6 on current form and improving at a rate of knots. 

image.thumb.png.3fec732a3c36eae900b5402a6cd84717.png

yeah that PNE sucker punch cost us....but that happens.....

in my own mind I knew we were going to give someone a hiding soon........we have 4/5 winnables coming up also

We look like a team now......with Kaz, Belik, et al

8 hours ago, Rev said:

We all know where this is going, and look forward to @jono's puppy pics in the animals thread.

As you say, the best he can hope for is new P&S rules, but in this case, it's pooping and scooping, not profit and sustainability.

This is how I feel this morning ?

4E13CCBD-6CAA-4FAA-91B4-5A44F415779D.jpeg

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Who mentioned Roos?

I don’t mind the fact that some came to us late in the day. That shows smarter recruitment. we’re not spending silly money on them. If they develop in the u23s that still reflects well on the people whose job is to produce players for the first team squad.

watson and Gordon were a bit of a surprise though. I would have thought a few others would be ahead of them. 

I added Roos as he falls I to the same group - I've seen others include him from time to time.

Gordon currently has Jozwiak, Lawrence, Waghorn, Ibe, Whittaker, Shonibare and Wilson as competition for a winger spot. JML could be added to that list once his loan ends I January, Knight, Holmes, Sibley are also options on the wing. As Lawrence, Waghorn and Ibe were all out, you can see why Gordon was named on the bench, especially after his recent form. When 4 up in the 88th minute, that's exactly the time you'd expect to see him coming on.

Watson confuses me as I would only have him on the bench at U23 level! I can only assume he's an excellent trainer and the coaches see something I'm yet to see.

I'm also holding on to the belief Trialist is in the squad to help him earn a loan move in January. Stretton should be ahead of him by now based on performances this season.

I didn't think that was our best game, but it was our best finishing. the pitch was awful which probably affected the game. Only one team tried to pass the ball and we made sure we won the right to play first. I slept well last night 4-0 Derby won 4-0 Derby won 4-0.

The 4 of Sibs, Knight, Shinniesta and Bielik hunt as a pack of wolves to win the ball and get forward, its good to have a wolf pack

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Watson confuses me as I would only have him on the bench at U23 level! I can only assume he's an excellent trainer and the coaches see something I'm yet to see.

I'm also holding on to the belief Trialist is in the squad to help him earn a loan move in January. Stretton should be ahead of him by now based on performances this season.

I know you follow the youngsters closely and it’s always interesting to get your view.

I think Watson has played well for the u23s but Hutchinson has been even better. I also like Wilson although his position seems to vary. if fit I would have him ahead of Gordon. Maybe we are trying to convince the latter not to go to Man Utd?

The youngsters don’t look out of place and I’m pleased that we are sheep dipping quite a few. I suspect we will see Hutchinson and maybe shonibare as well before too long. 

I am praying that we commit to Sibley and knight together. These are the best two and they just fill me with positivity.
Maybe if Ibe had turned up for training, Sibley would not have played. Who knows? I’ll be disappointed if Louie drops out when waggers and Lawrence are available again, but I won’t be surprised. That seems to be the pattern.

I agree that stretton looks the best long term option up front. Pity we lost Delap.
Jayden brown may suffer as a result of the many other options available in midfield. I assume that’s why he turned up in central defence the other day. 
I was sceptical of the cost and benefit of the academy in the past but it’s certainly producing the goods now.
We almost have too many coming through at once and we will eventually be forced to make some tough choices. They can’t all play but it’s great to see us producing players like Ipswich did in the past. 

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

I know you follow the youngsters closely and it’s always interesting to get your view.

I think Watson has played well for the u23s but Hutchinson has been even better. I also like Wilson although his position seems to vary. if fit I would have him ahead of Gordon. Maybe we are trying to convince the latter not to go to Man Utd?

The youngsters don’t look out of place and I’m pleased that we are sheep dipping quite a few. I suspect we will see Hutchinson and maybe shonibare as well before too long. 

I am praying that we commit to Sibley and knight together. These are the best two and they just fill me with positivity.
Maybe if Ibe had turned up for training, Sibley would not have played. Who knows? I’ll be disappointed if Louie drops out when waggers and Lawrence are available again, but I won’t be surprised. That seems to be the pattern.

I agree that stretton looks the best long term option up front. Pity we lost Delap.
Jayden brown may suffer as a result of the many other options available in midfield. I assume that’s why he turned up in central defence the other day. 
I was sceptical of the cost and benefit of the academy in the past but it’s certainly producing the goods now.
We almost have too many coming through at once and we will eventually be forced to make some tough choices. They can’t all play but it’s great to see us producing players like Ipswich did in the past. 

How many of these youngsters are eligible to play against Chorley in the cup, anyone know?  

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

I don't think it's a case of Watson OR Gordon, as the former is a CM/AM, whereas the latter is a forward who can play anywhere across the 4 attacking positions.

I've said for a while Sibley should be used on the wing, especially as Knight has nailed down the AM spot. In time, I imagine Sibley will move Central to partner Knight in a proper 433 - the passing side of his game needs to improve. His accuracy is fine, but opts to pass nowhere near enough. It's down to Sibley to keep his spot now. It would send out the wrong message to the rest of the squad if he's dropped for the Lawrence/Waggy when they return.

Jordan Brown is a DM, whereas the other youngsters pushing for a chance in the first team play further forward. Training him as a CB to play there for the first team did cross my mind,  but I think he's been playing there more out of necessity than choice.

Setting the youngsters up with decent loam moves will be the next step... something we've struggled with in the past. But I wouldn't expect much movement this January as our U23 and U18 squads are tiny.

53 minutes ago, RamNut said:

No, I meant Wilson ahead of Gordon.

Sorry, I misread what you put. 

Wilson had a good return last season with 6 goals and 6 assists in 17 games (all competitions), but seems to be struggling a bit now he's playing against stronger, quicker defenders in the U23s. I think he needs another season at that level before being ready to play against seasoned pros.

With the way Gordon plays, size doesn't seem to matter so making the step up each level is a smooth transition. I think the same will apply with him playing in the first team. However, his integration needs to be slow due to his age.

However, Wilson prefers the left, Gordon prefers the right. 

19 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

Wow 

I know why you say that but I just listened to WR's post match press and he seems to have said the same thing, ie that we were even better against Preston than B'ham   Fact is he values character in a team more than anything else - he is from the Ferguson school - and the display of character against Preston was awesome.  

5 hours ago, Srg said:

All of them? Why wouldn’t they be eligible?

I was curious so I looked at the rules. There are reams of eligibility criteria for players, mostly unintelligible but basically they seem to say: if you can play in the league you can play in the cup. Hooray    Hope WR will use early cup games to give game time to the youngsters.  

Archived