Will Coronavirus shut football down again?

ziggyram59

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Football can’t survive without all the supporters to have the vaccine - and regularly because it’s not a one off event 

We don’t know that. For instance T Cell immunity is leading to circa 70-80% never catching this virus because these people had similar colds when they were a lot younger.

Vaccine could prompt the same behaviour.

I believe normal will return ... otherwise life will be pretty awful full stop.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Unfortunately, I understand that the EFL meeting earlier this year discussed this eventuality and decided on a points per game finish as per league 1 and 2 from last season. On this basis we urgently need to pick up some points, as even Sheff Wed are closer than you think, when you take their 6 point penalty into account.

BTW, Tammy, were you the Rams fan that I exchanged pleasantries with on Tuesday, close to Tamworth Castle?

You can see the argument already. Points per game before a points penalty or points per game after the penalty. I bet that isn’t covered in the rules anywhere.

9 hours ago, ram59 said:

Unfortunately, I understand that the EFL meeting earlier this year discussed this eventuality and decided on a points per game finish as per league 1 and 2 from last season. On this basis we urgently need to pick up some points, as even Sheff Wed are closer than you think, when you take their 6 point penalty into account.

BTW, Tammy, were you the Rams fan that I exchanged pleasantries with on Tuesday, close to Tamworth Castle?

Hi there. No, it wasn’t me. 

I hadn’t seen that outcome from the EFL meeting. I would have thought the season would have to have reached a certain stage before it was decided on points per game. Anywhere near half the season still to play sounds way too early.

Last season, teams in league one only had about ten games remaining when the season was ended. 

I am not convinced covid will ever shut down football again because it's a small entertainment industry (almost a large bubble within players/staff) with very high precautions taken compared to other industrys and the ability for regular testing.

What should stop is international football as that is other bubbles mixing and players from several different clubs/countries mixing.

There is no evidence that football is infested with coronavirus, or ever has been because they take it seriously. 

18 minutes ago, harwich ram said:

As much as I love football  I personally  think  that with this virus  it shouldn't  have  even started  

can i ask why? there is no crowds so it isnt increasing the spread, there have been zero covid related deaths in british football. you can't just shut industry's down for no real reason.

16 minutes ago, harwich ram said:

As much as I love football  I personally  think  that with this virus  it shouldn't  have  even started  

A perfectly valid opinion however, whilst sport is nowhere near as important as life and death, it is important distraction for many people. Provided it’s undertaken safely, as it appears to have been so far, then I think it was the right thing to do. Unfortunately, other forms of entertainment (theatres, cinemas, holidays etc) were never going to fare so well. 

5 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Hi there. No, it wasn’t me. 

I hadn’t seen that outcome from the EFL meeting. I would have thought the season would have to have reached a certain stage before it was decided on points per game. Anywhere near half the season still to play sounds way too early.

Last season, teams in league one only had about ten games remaining when the season was ended. 

Yes, I agree that a certain stage of the season must be met, but after being totally unprepared for the events of last season, it would have been foolish for the EFL not to have made provisions for all eventualities in coming seasons, at the last meeting of the league clubs.

32 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Yes, I agree that a certain stage of the season must be met, but after being totally unprepared for the events of last season, it would have been foolish for the EFL not to have made provisions for all eventualities in coming seasons, at the last meeting of the league clubs.

what do you know/believe was actually agreed? 

I agree with you that they should have made provisions for all eventualities but, I would have thought that it might be something along the lines of: If the season is ended after a certain numbers had been completed then a points per game approach would be adopted for any remaining games. However, if the season is ended before a certain number of games had been completed then the season would be deemed null and void.

1 minute ago, Mick Brolly said:

Everton vs Manchester City just called off due to numerous positive tests.

Having read all the conspiracy theories about our game with Rotherham, i wonder what Man Citys real reason for calling the game off is? ?

On 25/12/2020 at 22:59, rammieib said:

You can see the argument already. Points per game before a points penalty or points per game after the penalty. I bet that isn’t covered in the rules anywhere.

It would be quite a simple calculation in reality, they started the season with minutes 6 points, you average the amount of points gained since then, then take off the 6 divided by 46, simples.

12 minutes ago, ram59 said:

It would be quite a simple calculation in reality, they started the season with minutes 6 points, you average the amount of points gained since then, then take off the 6 divided by 46, simples.

Simple if it’s written in the rules that’s how you do it....

Archived