Will Coronavirus shut football down again?

ziggyram59

25 minutes ago, 1967RAMS said:

It may get to the stage where it becomes very disjointed, games getting called off with increased  frequency. This may extend the season too much. Unlike last summer there won’t be the option to extend as the Euros takes place. I don’t think the positions will stand if it’s called off in January, with more than half of the games remaining unplayed but you can imagine the hierarchy at the EFL creaming themselves at the prospect 

Dont see the Euros taking place next year

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I agree, there are no clubs in a position of certainty based on their current league position.  There is always the option to postpone the euros in much the same way as the olympics

It's already postponed. Should have been Euro 2020 across many countries in Europe. Cant really postpone to 2022 because it is world cup year in Qatar. This being said, that is happening in November, so in theory June 22 could be an option, but I can't see it. I think  they will rejig it to be in one country  behind closed doors. What might well happen is the big clubs, who supply most of international kick off, and dont release them especially if CL is delayed. Leave it to Boris and UEFA they 'll sort it on 31st May.

4 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

First of all I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. Do you think we will get through the season without a shut down again? Because this Coronavirus seems to be getting worse and I have seen colleagues from work/friends suffer from it. Interested in anyone's thought's. 

Merry Christmas to you do buddy. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we did see another football shut down sadly.

2 hours ago, 1967RAMS said:

I would call them off just to see the reaction of the Scottish fans. Qualified for a major tournament for the first time in 425 years then it gets binned off???

You had to plant that thought in my head on Christmas Day ,,,,, jeez it’s hard being a Scottish Derby fan

1 hour ago, Chellaston Ram said:

Surely the way for football to continue is for all professionals to have the vaccine 

although this is not the correct thread, I have not read that the vaccine does not stop people being asymptomatic, meaning you could still catch cv from someone has been vaccinated.  This maybe why they are treating the old first.  This is a statement of my 'unexpert' understanding and not for one that I will debate on this thread

7 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

First of all I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. Do you think we will get through the season without a shut down again? Because this Coronavirus seems to be getting worse and I have seen colleagues from work/friends suffer from it. Interested in anyone's thought's. 

Well it should do if players squads and staff are going up and down the country every 3-4 days and only being tested on rare occasions especially the clubs in the EFL 

10 minutes ago, CROSSWORD said:

Go to the head of the line because they play football........hmmmmmmm.

The Euros are in summer you would hope by then all the priority people would have been vaccinated. Regarding our League the Government has said in the past how important football is to keep the population happy during these times, so I’m sure once vaccines are widely available then this could happen.

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

although this is not the correct thread, I have not read that the vaccine does not stop people being asymptomatic, meaning you could still catch cv from someone has been vaccinated.  This maybe why they are treating the old first.  This is a statement of my 'unexpert' understanding and not for one that I will debate on this thread

The effects of the vaccine on transmission aren't yet known but as asymptomatic people on average infect far fewer people than symptomatic people there's good reason to be optimistic about the vaccine reducing transmission too??

No I don’t think it will.

Sport can be played behind a bubble and it’s desperately needed for the mental health of people in this country.

I couldn’t (ok I won’t be jumping off a bridge) go through those three months again when there was nothing. 

There will of course be breakouts and it’s just having the appropriate controls in place when it happens. 

Treat it as players being out injured. I know it’s not the same but that’s how I look at it.

The next month may suck a little numbers wise but it will get better.

4 hours ago, Rampage said:

If it closes down, do not get caught in bottom three. On overall form we would have been awarded less than a poi t for Rotherham game if not played.

I don’t think the season it at imminent risk of being ended but, if it was, my guess is that we’re not far enough into the season and it would be abandoned and declared null and void at this moment in time rather than final points/positions being based on points per game achieved so far.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t think the season it at imminent risk of being ended but, if it was, my guess is that we’re not far enough into the season and it would be abandoned and declared null and void at this moment in time rather than final points/positions being based on points per game achieved so far.

Unfortunately, I understand that the EFL meeting earlier this year discussed this eventuality and decided on a points per game finish as per league 1 and 2 from last season. On this basis we urgently need to pick up some points, as even Sheff Wed are closer than you think, when you take their 6 point penalty into account.

BTW, Tammy, were you the Rams fan that I exchanged pleasantries with on Tuesday, close to Tamworth Castle?

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Thanks, Tanworthram

Archived