Will Coronavirus shut football down again?

ziggyram59

First of all I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. Do you think we will get through the season without a shut down again? Because this Coronavirus seems to be getting worse and I have seen colleagues from work/friends suffer from it. Interested in anyone's thought's. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ziggyram59 said:

First of all I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. Do you think we will get through the season without a shut down again? Because this Coronavirus seems to be getting worse and I have seen colleagues from work/friends suffer from it. Interested in anyone's thought's. 

I think if things continue to worsen it's inevitable that sports will stop. 

Players are getting the virus more often and some, like the Newcastle players, are getting the longer version. 

23 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think if things continue to worsen it's inevitable that sports will stop. 

Players are getting the virus more often and some, like the Newcastle players, are getting the longer version. 

Have to agree with you there AnagRam. Merry Christmas to you. 

Hopefully we get out the bottom 3 soon. Last season, there was the talk of ending the season prematurely with clubs relegated/promoted according to their current positions. If the virus shuts down football for a sustained period, that option may be discussed again.

Cheery news for Christmas morning. If the EFL doesn’t make testing mandatory then it will do. You only have to look at the number of outbreaks spreading in lower league clubs. There doesn’t seem to be as much of an issue in the Prem where they test twice a week I think, cases tend to be isolated which can be dealt with. 

13 minutes ago, Loftyhites said:

Hopefully we get out the bottom 3 soon. Last season, there was the talk of ending the season prematurely with clubs relegated/promoted according to their current positions. If the virus shuts down football for a sustained period, that option may be discussed again.

Thanks for you input. Merry Christmas Loftyhites. 

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Cheery news for Christmas morning. If the EFL doesn’t make testing mandatory then it will do. You only have to look at the number of outbreaks spreading in lower league clubs. There doesn’t seem to be as much of an issue in the Prem where they test twice a week I think, cases tend to be isolated which can be dealt with. 

Just thought it was a relevant topic. Merry Christmas Millenniumram. 

5 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Short term, yes as It seems to be spreading so fast at the moment. I keep an eye every week of various towns where i know people, and some places like London went from 200 per 100k to 600 in 2 weeks. Longer term, the virus is hopefully the magic wand. Joyeux Merry Xmas to all.

Merry Christmas to you. 

2 minutes ago, YoxallRam said:

I’d be surprised. The government know how important it is to keep sport going during this time.

The premier league has it rigorous testing system in place, if the EFL (at least the championship) copy that then I don’t see why it couldn’t continue.

Because the EFL are incompetent and couldnt run a piss up in a brewery?

It may get to the stage where it becomes very disjointed, games getting called off with increased  frequency. This may extend the season too much. Unlike last summer there won’t be the option to extend as the Euros takes place. I don’t think the positions will stand if it’s called off in January, with more than half of the games remaining unplayed but you can imagine the hierarchy at the EFL creaming themselves at the prospect 

23 minutes ago, YoxallRam said:

I’d be surprised. The government know how important it is to keep sport going during this time.

The premier league has it rigorous testing system in place, if the EFL (at least the championship) copy that then I don’t see why it couldn’t continue.

Positive rests resulting in squad isolation will postpone so many matches that the already compressed schedule will become unworkable.  I think the season will be extended.

1 minute ago, 1967RAMS said:

It may get to the stage where it becomes very disjointed, games getting called off with increased  frequency. This may extend the season too much. Unlike last summer there won’t be the option to extend as the Euros takes place. I don’t think the positions will stand if it’s called off in January, with more than half of the games remaining unplayed but you can imagine the hierarchy at the EFL creaming themselves at the prospect 

I agree, there are no clubs in a position of certainty based on their current league position.  There is always the option to postpone the euros in much the same way as the olympics

Archived