Surnames, such strange things

jono

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am helping the Court of Appeal in Nigeria with computerising court records. They love my surname which is Crooks. When I first met the President of the Court, he said “ah, Crooks. We have lots of you in Nigeria!”

Also for a time back in the 70s I worked as a benefit fraud officer and my colleague was named Swindells. What a team - Crooks and Swindells.

On 20/12/2020 at 07:24, jono said:

Just a random musing but names are interesting (if you’re a bit of an anorak like me ) 

North, Tall, Smith, Johnson, Fletcher, Cooper and many others all with simple derivations. Physical characteristics, trade, or family. You can see where they come from. Yet there are others that arouse curiosity ... I mean, Drinkwater ? How did that come about ? It is the same in Europe. I knew Italians with names like Bevaqua (Drinkwater ) and Biacofiore (white flower) I sometimes wonder what the conversation was in 8th century England when some fellow was crowned Sidebottom ? Or Arbuthnot ?  We’ve got a Lightfoot a Tranter and a Holyrake in our family history. Where did they start I sometimes wonder. 

?

I’ve always been fascinated by surnames. Bit of a geek on the subject.

Some Welsh names have an interesting origin. From “ap” or “ab” meaning “son” you get several condensed names such as Parry (ap Harry), Bowen (ab Owen), Pritchard (ap Richard), Pugh (ap Hugh), Price (ap Rhys), Powell (ap Hywell), Upjohn (ap John) etc

2 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

I’ve always been fascinated by surnames. Bit of a geek on the subject.

Some Welsh names have an interesting origin. From “ap” or “ab” meaning “son” you get several condensed names such as Parry (ap Harry), Bowen (ab Owen), Pritchard (ap Richard), Pugh (ap Hugh), Price (ap Rhys), Powell (ap Hywell), Upjohn (ap John) etc

I am an anorak about old stuff like that... thank you .. I just learned something ?

I’m an Owen but I had to laugh when going - for work - to a company in the valleys . Checked in a security, asked my name, gave it, expecting a kind of “your one of us” reaction ... No chance ? gate man says in lilting welsh voice “and how do you spell that then boyo ?” 

Archived