Surnames, such strange things

jono

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

My Auntie Ann married a guy called Glyn Teek and became Ann Teek! 

At least she had her marriage as a defence!  But some parents just don't think, when compiling given names...

Officially, Dad was Alfred Leslie, but was always known as "Les", as was his dad before him.

But officially... it was Alf Hart!   

??

EDIT:

We're commoners... we drop the "H", when saying it out loud!

1 hour ago, JG400 said:

Company I use to work for  (like many ) used the email  structure  first name initial + surname@company.com

so fbloggs@company.com

oh how we laughed when we discovered a colleague with the name of Rosa Sole

A manager at my work had the same issue. His name was T Watts. 

I new someone who got married once and became Claire Clare. And another one who became Jayne Wayne. 

but I also know some parents who called their kid Holly. Didn’t tell anyone, wanted it to be a surprise. When they had filled in the paperwork, the first person they told pointed out that their surname is Day. And they genuinely hadn’t realised the issue with that. 

I had a girlfriend years ago. Her name was Jacklyn. Her ex’s surname was Hyde .. she said She’d never have married him for obvious reasons ! 

I’ve also got a mate with a very ordinary surname but because he went through the mill as a child, adoptions and all sorts he’s never been fond of his family name. His now wife suggested they use her family name ... Nutter. He’s not too sure about it ?

He is now deciding that he may change by deed poll to .. Santa Cruz ....  I suppose him being from Burnley might explain that particular train of thought. 

Had two blokes in the warehouse years ago named Alistair Pratt and Alex Watt. The stock take sheets had to be double signed every Friday night shift and I had to check and correct any stock imbalances on a Monday with finance dept.

The stock sheets were signed without fail like this, A Watt A Pratt, much to the hilarity of all concerned.

oops, forgot about the time a young lady joined the workforce on evening shift by the name of Emma Dale....another case of parental neglect.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

You are such a show off!   

Nowadays I  make do with model railways and stamp collecting, Mrs Jono says it’s more healthy than lose women who will only want me for my body or programme collection. Besides castration is painful so she tells me. 

• 2 weeks later...

My mate who was in a band called both of his daughters Anna as he was pished when he went to the registrars the second time.

Luckily he was reminded which one was which everytime he started a song.

Anna 1

Anna 2

9 minutes ago, sage said:

My mate who was in a band called both of his daughters Anna as he was pished when he went to the registrars the second time.

Luckily he was reminded which one was which everytime he started a song.

Anna 1

Anna 2

Hilarious jocularity is all well and good sir, but I can't help thinking a post about first names in a thread discussing surnames is highly inappropriate.

This is not the way to get a New Year off to a good start.

I propose a 3 hour forum ban, to give you time to go and take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror.  Shameful!  

I'll wish you a happy New Year later... when you have seen the error of your ways!   ?

??

4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Hilarious jocularity is all well and good sir, but I can't help thinking a post about first names in a thread discussing surnames is highly inappropriate.

This is not the way to get a New Year off to a good start.

I propose a 3 hour forum ban, to give you time to go and take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror.  Shameful!  

I'll wish you a happy New Year later... when you have seen the error of your ways!   ?

??

I did wonder if I should offer a caveat but then I thought only argumentative pedants with nothing better to do would point this out.

Not sure why I thought I'd get away with it on this forum.

?

Worked with someone who had same christian and surname as me. Became good mates...into footie and rock music. Oh how we laughed (not) when someone rang up thinking they were speaking to the 'other one'. 'Sorry, can I stop you there....' became our catch phrase.

Archived