Mason Bennett

oomarkwright

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

So?

I agree,  he was given a massive opportunity by Derby and he treated them with disrespect.

no desire to see him fail but will never look and think we made a mistake letting him go.

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

So?

He's our youngest ever player and our youngest ever goalscorer. Yes it didn't work out, but I'm interested in hearing how he does at the same level we're playing at. That sort of thing is surely what this section is for?

For those interested here's his goal, plus a decent headed attempt and a chance not taken to equalize again near the end:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/12230869/barnsley-2-1-millwall

3 hours ago, Sith Happens said:

I agree,  he was given a massive opportunity by Derby and he treated them with disrespect.

no desire to see him fail but will never look and think we made a mistake letting him go.

Saw something that made me chuckle the other day . Andre Wisdom is now only 3 behind Mason Bennett now in the all time goals list .  That tells me all I need to know really.

17 hours ago, RamNut said:

So?

You ask this in the Ex Rams section? I imagine the answer to your question is something along the lines of; "He is an Ex Ram and this is where we discuss what has been happening to Ex Rams. If you aren't interested in what Ex Ram Mason Bennett has been doing, then you have the option of not opening the thread and reading another part of the forum instead".  That's what I'd imagine anyway.

5 hours ago, LazloW said:

You ask this in the Ex Rams section?

surely we’re not pretending that we are missing Mason Bennett?

I visit this section of the forum expecting to learn that he has just chundered over Gary Rowett or driven into Scott Malone. 

I don’t miss Lee Camp, Nigel Pearson or Dexter Blackstock, but they are ex Rams and others may wish to follow what they are doing with their careers.

I heard a while back that all young players leaving would not go without some form of sell on fee, whether that has changed I don’t know, but Bennett doing well could well be in our best interests. Like the guy or not.

2 hours ago, David said:

I don’t miss Lee Camp, Nigel Pearson or Dexter Blackstock, but they are ex Rams and others may wish to follow what they are doing with their careers.

I heard a while back that all young players leaving would not go without some form of sell on fee, whether that has changed I don’t know, but Bennett doing well could well be in our best interests. Like the guy or not.

Totally agree and for the record he seems to be doing as well in the championship as all our wide players are doing for a fraction of the price.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not the goals that surprise me, it's the minutes. I always thought there was a decent championship player there, but I was resigned to Bennett never stringing more than a few months together without an injury.

• 3 weeks later...

5 goals in 12 games as an out and out striker for us, not a bad return. He seems to be getting in the right places at the right time, also has a good leap on him for a smaller striker. Would be happy to see Bennett and Wallace up front for us going into next season. If Bennett can stay fit, then reckon that would be a partnership to knock on the play-offs. 

Still not completed a full match though, although he was taken off on the 92nd minute in one match so we could time waste, so you could give him that one. 

Do you have any more players you want to offload to us on the cheap? 

Edited by Allovertheplace

1 hour ago, Allovertheplace said:

5 goals in 12 games as an out and out striker for us, not a bad return. He seems to be getting in the right places at the right time, also has a good leap on him for a smaller striker. Would be happy to see Bennett and Wallace up front for us going into next season. If Bennett can stay fit, then reckon that would be a partnership to knock on the play-offs. 

Still not completed a full match though, although he was taken off on the 92nd minute in one match so we could time waste, so you could give him that one. 

Do you have any more players you want to offload to us on the cheap? 

He has 6 now I believe - more than Marriott Waghorn and Lawrence put together - a lot cheaper as well 

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

He has 6 now I believe - more than Marriott Waghorn and Lawrence put together - a lot cheaper as well 

6 over the course of the season, but he was put out wide as a left winger for the beginning of the season. He's now playing up top as a number 9 so to speak, hence the recent spurt in goals being scored. 

Due to our other strikers being League Two standard, and Zohore being crocked (also not very good). Rowett has decided to play Jed Wallace and Mason Bennett up top in a 3-5-2 formation, leading to him scoring 5 goals in 12 matches. They've struck up a decent partnership, and who knew that Bennett was actually a good poacher in and around the 6 yard box. If we carry onto next season with Wallace and Bennett up front, and he stays fit, then I'd expect him to get 12-15 goals if he continues at the current rate, which would be unthinkable for a Millwall striker in the Championship. Not sure that has happened since Steve Claridge in 01/02. 

Talk of Malone being our player of the season as well, the system definitely suits his skillset. 

We've done well out of Derby County over the last 2/3 years in terms of value for money (although Alex Pearce is long past his best at this level now). 

Edited by Allovertheplace