Mason Bennett

oomarkwright

22 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Good goal by Bennett tonight. 

Cracking goal. 

Despite all his issues, there's a player there somewhere. His performance in the play off second leg at Leeds was exceptional.

I remember him playing as a 15 year old v Tranmere in a cup match at Pride Park, he was superb alongside Hughsey and I was convinced he'd be a star.

• 1 month later...

Millwall fan here; signed up after we signed Mason. Bored during lockdown hence the post. 

Mason is a bang average Championship player and nothing more than a rotation option at this stage; we'd probably be stronger if we spent his wages elsewhere. Heard that he's only completed 90 minutes twice in his career which is an outstandingly shocking statistic. Can see why Derby were happy to get rid of him. 

The other two players we've taken from you;

Scott Malone - had a solid season, one of our better players this season, and very consistent. Scored some important goals and not looked out of place in any games. A decent Championship player. 

George Evans - Class, pure class. What a signing he's turning out to be. Not sure how he was rated at Derby, or why he has been let go. To be honest, I had never heard of him before we signed him. Some of his passing from the back is a joy to watch and hasn't looked out of place when it comes to the defending side either, got man of the match today all be it against a terrible Wycombe team. One of the first names on the team sheet and he's only been here for a month. 

My prediction of Derby making the play-offs didn't come true.... Maybe next season, why hasn't Sibley kicked on though? He looked like a wonderkid against us last year when you beat us 3-2. 

Edited by Allovertheplace

3 minutes ago, Allovertheplace said:

Millwall fan here; signed up after we signed Mason. Bored during lockdown hence the post. 

Mason is a bang average Championship player and nothing more than a rotation option at this stage; we'd probably be stronger if we spent his wages elsewhere. Heard that he's only completed 90 minutes twice in his career which is an outstandingly shocking statistic. Can see why Derby were happy to get rid of him. 

Scott Malone - had a solid season, one of our better players this season, and very consistent. Scored some important goals and not looked out of place in any games. A decent Championship player. 

George Evans - Class, pure class. What a signing he's turning out to be. Not sure how he was rated at Derby, or why he has been let go. To be honest, I had never heard of him before we signed him. Some of his passing from the back is a joy to watch and hasn't looked out of place when it comes to the defending side either, got man of the match today all be it against a terrible Wycombe team. One of the first names on the team sheet and he's only been here for a month. 

My prediction of Derby making the play-offs didn't come true.... Maybe next season, why hasn't Sibley kicked on though? He looked like a wonderkid against us last year when you beat us 3-2. 

Evans is a very tidy player but has real issues with injury.  Think that's why we got him from Reading for a similar price to the one you paid. In the old days he's what you'd refer to as a utility player. He also has a habit of a run of form for a few games then has a bit of a non entity spell..

Malone never seemed to be a winger or full back to me . He was OK at both - not brill at either.  Think he played for you before didn't he he and the reaction when he went back was marmite like the opinion on him here.

Bennett is totally pants and seems to have two brain cells.  I can't say anymore though a few disagree at least on his footballing attributes.

Sibley gives away a lot of free kicks and this puts us under pressure in tight games as were not to proficient in front of goal .  Rooney seems to have made the decision what he costs in giving chances to opponents outweighs attacking threat at the other end. I would like to see him get more game time but there we go.

35 minutes ago, Allovertheplace said:

Bennett is a plank, a rubbish footballer and an even worse person. You would do well to get shut of him as soon as an offer from some non league team comes in for him. 
the other two are decent players, particularly Evans and I’m sure they will do well for You. 
good luck for the rest of the season, have to say I really like your club, best away trip in the league too. 

42 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Bennett is a plank, a rubbish footballer and an even worse person. You would do well to get shut of him as soon as an offer from some non league team comes in for him. 
the other two are decent players, particularly Evans and I’m sure they will do well for You. 
good luck for the rest of the season, have to say I really like your club, best away trip in the league too. 

Shame if Evans becomes injury prone; hopefully he's over any problems as he was different class today to everyone else on the pitch. Was picking passes out all over the place from the back, one pass was on the half volley, pinged it out to our right winger. It was against a poor Wycombe side though, but he played well in previous games as well. Millwall fans rightly lavishing him with praise after today. 

Agree with Bennett; I think he's done well for himself in life given his lack of quality. I think we'll be his last Championship contract, he's an okay Championship player when he's at his best, wouldn't mind him if his salary was one of the lowest in the squad but I suspect that isn't true.

Malone has been steady. Decent Championship player, nothing special, nothing atrocious, been a good addition for ourselves this season, and gives a 7/10 performance every game at least. A completely different player compared to when we had him when he was 21/22 though. (His goal against Sheffield Wednesday was Gascoigne esque

I'll  be moving to East Midlands in September to one of your neighbouring cities so happy to see Derby stay up for an away day (if we're allowed back in the grounds). A lot of teams to visit around that area as well so hoping Rotherham/Huddersfield get releated, although I think Sheff Wed/Rotherham will drop with Wycombe.

Edited by Allovertheplace

Evans is the best of the three. Has plenty of ability but became a bit of a scapegoat for the majority of Fans - especially on here. He is tidy as a holding midfielder and as a central defender, although I think he is learning that role and needs to play alongside an experienced centre half. Something we haven’t had since keogh was sacked.

malone is a player I couldn’t stand. He was our third or fourth best left back. Maybe he has knuckled down a bit. Pictures of him passed out at the mason bennett pish up were the last straw. 

bennett has hamstring problems. Frank seemed to like him and we went into the play off semi and final with him at centre forward in preference to Waghorn and Marriott. Frank was in a minority of one in favouring bennett over the others. He doesn’t seem to have the attributes to make any position his own, nor the fitness, but could be useful cover. Although fans are very supportive and loyal to our academy products, no-one was fussed about losing Bennett. He should have been sacked. 

On 20/02/2021 at 18:21, Allovertheplace said:

IMO, Evans was completely anonymous whenever he played in midfield for us. Did a decent job at the back, but not sure whether he’s a promotion-level defender.

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

IMO, Evans was completely anonymous whenever he played in midfield for us. Did a decent job at the back, but not sure whether he’s a promotion-level defender.

Anonymous midfielders are what you want. The best ones go unnoticed until they’re missed or make mistakes. 

23 hours ago, tinman said:

Or Hughes. Or Bryson. Or Sibley. Or any midfielder. You want them to be noticed. 

in no way at all do the best midfielders go unnoticed. 

Midfielder is quite a broad term that can mean many things. I think it's certainly true that some more defensive minded midfielders end up going unnoticed or certainly get underrated. Look at John Eustace a few years ago, or Lee Carsley back in the 90's.

On 23/02/2021 at 17:06, Anon said:

Midfielder is quite a broad term that can mean many things. I think it's certainly true that some more defensive minded midfielders end up going unnoticed or certainly get underrated. Look at John Eustace a few years ago, or Lee Carsley back in the 90's.

Eustace and Carsley were both very noticed players - They had the same sort of love from the fans that Kazim has now and Bucko used to have

I think maybe the 'unnoticed' thing is more about the disciplined work they do - The ability to hold position in that role is a shockingly difficult one when players are minded to chase off after the ball or move across too far to make a tackle or rush out to make a block to high up or even (shock horror) try to join an attack

That ability to hold position until the right moment is something most DMs spend years developing - It's why players like Carsley and (tearing up) Thorne were so incredible - Young players who already know when to hold, keep disciplined but also know the moments they're 'safe' to move further forward

Oh and Bennett is a perfectly average player and I'm not really worried we let him go - Just to make sure I've said something vaguely on topic