New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

If you want to win a football match, isn’t it best to try and score during the whole game, and not just the last 20 minutes?? I guarantee you, every Derby fan who read/saw the starting XI that afterwoon at Wembley felt a mixture of confusion, disappointment, and/or anger. It was a crappy decision then, and it’s a still a crappy decision now. Even without the Roos clanger we were never really in the game... I’ve got my own opinion on why he made the choices he did, but I don’t want to have another post deleted, so I’ll keep it to myself

We only really got going when we went 2 down, when Marriott scored we were well on top and I honestly believed we would get the equaliser. Sadly it was too little too late and we ran out of time. I understood his thinking but at the same time you can't start a playoff final with Mason Bennett up front on his own. My heart sank when I saw the lineup and I'll never forgive Lampard for that

21 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I've already posted a reply to this and so has another poster at least - who was in the position of power during contract negotiations between Morris and Cocu? If Mel did go in with an opening gambit of a 4 year contract then yeah I agree, more like that was the only contract length Cocu was going to consider to come here. So how badly did Mel want him here, well that's your answer. 

I actually spoke to Mel about this exact thing at the pre season games in Florida (that only the real fans went to) and he was quite insistent that as soon as they heard Cocu may have been interested in the job that they got the figures  lined up and went down to meet him with the guidelines of if he wants a huge contract then we will just walk away and that he has to be in it for the right reasons (developing the kids) when they got to meet him his wage demands were nowhere near as high as the money they had thought it was going to be...and Mel delighted with the whole deal.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Pulis going to Sheff Wed by the looks of things. I'm fairly sure it wouldn't have been one we would look at anyway, at least under Mel, but he looks to be off the list. 

Can’t say I’d have liked him at Derby, but that said if it was him or Cocu I’d be buying my replica cap and tracksuit  tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

If you want to win a football match, isn’t it best to try and score during the whole game, and not just the last 20 minutes?? I guarantee you, every Derby fan who read/saw the starting XI that afterwoon at Wembley felt a mixture of confusion, disappointment, and/or anger. It was a crappy decision then, and it’s a still a crappy decision now. Even without the Roos clanger we were never really in the game... I’ve got my own opinion on why he made the choices he did, but I don’t want to have another post deleted, so I’ll keep it to myself

You’re right but at the same time so am I !! Because his tactic to bring on Marriott worked. Imagine he started and he didn’t score, or maybe he would have started and scored a hat trick. We shall never know. No idea if there was a falling out or a tactical idea behind that selection. Anyway we are still stuck in this league ! Shame. 

1 hour ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

You’re right but at the same time so am I !! Because his tactic to bring on Marriott worked. Imagine he started and he didn’t score, or maybe he would have started and scored a hat trick. We shall never know. No idea if there was a falling out or a tactical idea behind that selection. Anyway we are still stuck in this league ! Shame. 

How many players are playing to their potential. If not why not.

5 hours ago, James Pond said:

I didn't go to the game, We gave out ticket numbers to family so they could go, Watched it in the Town Centre, When the starting 11 went up of the screen, The vast majority who knows the game(not the ones who watched just because)were apoplectic, Pointing at the screen and verbalising Lampard.

Once Both Marriott and Waghorn came on I noticed a difference in play and attitude, Marriott scored around the 80th and I thought we could go on to get a result...unfortunately not.

It was bizarre and a completely banal decision, especially after the Leeds performance. I still can't forgive him for throwing the game away, as well as waiting too long to make a change. A case of overthinking the tactics?

It feels like we've just wasted a week of the international break.  This could have been a key time to instil a new philosophy, and a new regime, particularly with three games in a week coming up (particularly with one v. Wycombe).  I worry it will be business as usual when we take to the field against Bristol.

11 hours ago, MK-Ram said:

It feels like we've just wasted a week of the international break.  This could have been a key time to instil a new philosophy, and a new regime, particularly with three games in a week coming up (particularly with one v. Wycombe).  I worry it will be business as usual when we take to the field against Bristol.

Or that we are waiting for the takeover to happen and not rushing into anything. This first week the players tend to have a few days off anyway and there are 7 away on international duty too

Archived