New Manager

dantheram

3 minutes ago, RedSox said:

According to Carragher:“There is no doubt that Wayne Rooney will be the Derby County manager next.”  “He’s got a great football brain. It just seems like the next phase for Derby.”

Assistant to Mac3 !!!

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, RedSox said:

According to Carragher:“There is no doubt that Wayne Rooney will be the Derby County manager next.”  “He’s got a great football brain. It just seems like the next phase for Derby.”

I hope not. We are in one hell of a mess and need an experienced manager to guide us away from the wrong end of this division. 

2 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Mel is such a tool, giving him a 4 year contract to an unproven championship or English league manager on big money is crazy. 

I've already posted a reply to this and so has another poster at least - who was in the position of power during contract negotiations between Morris and Cocu? If Mel did go in with an opening gambit of a 4 year contract then yeah I agree, more like that was the only contract length Cocu was going to consider to come here. So how badly did Mel want him here, well that's your answer. 

14 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

So how badly did Mel want him here, well that's your answer. 

True. But the suggestion was he was already looking to sell up. So did he agree to Cocu's demands rather than go with A.N. Other manager who'd be cheaper but less high profile?

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

I've already posted a reply to this and so has another poster at least - who was in the position of power during contract negotiations between Morris and Cocu? If Mel did go in with an opening gambit of a 4 year contract then yeah I agree, more like that was the only contract length Cocu was going to consider to come here. So how badly did Mel want him here, well that's your answer. 

It’s just occurred to me - and I have had a glass of wine so bear with me - maybe the idea was to build in a compensation, presupposing that he was going to be a success. 
So whereas you’d think it would be: we’ll give you 2 years and if you’re going well after 1 year we’ll extend to 4 years. Maybe the fear was he’d be such a success we’d lose him. So with 4 year deal at least we’d make a profit out of it. 

16 minutes ago, ck- said:

It’s just occurred to me - and I have had a glass of wine so bear with me - maybe the idea was to build in a compensation, presupposing that he was going to be a success. 
So whereas you’d think it would be: we’ll give you 2 years and if you’re going well after 1 year we’ll extend to 4 years. Maybe the fear was he’d be such a success we’d lose him. So with 4 year deal at least we’d makeana_jurado@rosenthal-research.com a profit out of it.

Well that didn't work did it ??‍♂️???

It's entirely unreasonable reasoning, but I wouldn't want Paul Cook just for the fact that he's a scouser called Paul that used to manage Wigan and I've still not mentally recovered from the last time we put one of those in charge.

1 hour ago, ck- said:

So whereas you’d think it would be: we’ll give you 2 years and if you’re going well after 1 year we’ll extend to 4 years. Maybe the fear was he’d be such a success we’d lose him. So with 4 year deal at least we’d make a profit out of it. 

Could be right, no downside risk assessment.  

I actually think Rooney becoming manager could work. People seem to have an assumption that he is somewhat unclever. But you don't have the career he's had, playing multiple positions etc.. without having fantastic knowledge (in football terms at least). It's always a gamble hiring someone with no experience. I think he'd be a similar appointment to Lampard. If he had the right person as his assistant(Mac), then I think he'd have a good chance of being successful. However, given the current position we're in I don't think we can afford to take such a gamble.  

Any managerial appointment is a gamble, I thought Pearson would get us up and was dreadful, I thought Lampard was to inexperienced....yes he made mistakes but ducking hell what an enjoyable season.

Give it Wazza,cant get any worse,rock bottom and dreadful dreadful football.

He could be brilliant,he could be awful....so could anyone

23 minutes ago, leamram said:

Any managerial appointment is a gamble, I thought Pearson would get us up and was dreadful, I thought Lampard was to inexperienced....yes he made mistakes but ducking hell what an enjoyable season.

Give it Wazza,cant get any worse,rock bottom and dreadful dreadful football.

He could be brilliant,he could be awful....so could anyone

Pearson was the one manager we should have given more time to. At the time the dressing room was toxic, so much so, senior players thought they could go to the owner to have him sacked. He did sack him when Mel should have backed him. Incredible that players could have that much power at any club level. 
Pearson for his faults would have sorted us out and eventually would have had a team that worked hard and respected the manager.
Rowett and Lampard had that from the players but I doubt Pearson wouldn’t have jumped ship at the first sniff of a job (I don’t blame Lampard Tbf). 

Cocu for all his pedigree just doesn’t have the respect of the players in my opinion. I don’t blame him for Joiners Gate but players that respect the manger wouldn’t have done that, they would have been more worried about training the next day. 
I think Mac lost it the first time he was manager when he didn’t squash the Newcastle rumours. 

The next manager needs to be in the mould of a Big Sam - Pearson - Maybe Paul Cook - Rafa Benitez (dreamland on this one I know)

One they will come and sure up the team to gain results but two they gain instant respect from the players, if you have a Rooney in the dressing room, that’s fine he’s a great player for us but you need a personality thats not in awe of him. I honestly hope we can pull in Big Sam, I know it’s a long shot but he knows how to get us out of this hole. His recruitment is incredible and he leaves every club better than he found it. Just look at Palace, his signings he brought in to save them have been mainstays ever since. West Ham he took from the championship and established them in the Prem again and despite what people say I like his style of play. 

2 hours ago, ck- said:

I actually considered that and after getting compensation from Rowett and Lampard it makes some sense but it was a big risk that backfired. 

We will,survive this season no matter who is in charge but I don’t want Rooney as Carragher says.....our squad is still good but lacks strikers if we spend a few bob on a striker or two in jan we,ll be ok and have much better results with a half way finish which is still poor but that’s where we will end up....we will not go down 

17 hours ago, Red Ram said:

Was Lampard really a success? Jozefzoon, Holmes, Waghorn, Marriott, Cole, Evans, Malone. How many of those have been unqualified good signings? Waghorn yes, Holmes maybe. The rest? Average at best.

We'd have been nowhere near playoffs without Chelsea doing their club legend a massive favour by loaning us Mount and Tomori. 

And Mason Bennett starting at Wembley? WTF was all that about?

Oh but yeah - he did the bounce so he's a legend...

Getting us to the playoff final was an achievement, and if Roos hadn’t dropped the ball and we found a way to win it wouldn’t matter who had started. He brought Marriott on to score so in that respect his tactic worked ! 

Archived