New Manager

dantheram

Early days, but the signs aren’t good.

probably not time to pull the trigger just yet, but this is his lowest point and folk seem to be running out of patience. Do I have faith in cocu and the cabal of coaches and hangers on to sort this out? Not really. The excuses are starting to look a bit weak. 

we ‘ve been here so often that the smell of a failed regime is all too familiar.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Good try but the "Cocu outers" know this already; they just ain't listening.

All the stuff about making allowances for the events of last year or the injuries of this year, it's all forgotten.

Now it's all "He's had a full season already".

Makes me weep. I give up. The moaners won't be happy until they have somebody new to moan about.

And, as for the suggestions, they're laughable.

Someone good with players - Howe.

Away from a defensive approach - Hughton.

Someone who plays the youngsters - Hughton, Howe...

Someone who commands respect from big name players - Cook.

Someone who can work within a tight budget - Howe.

I despair. We have a really good manager who is building for the long term but the impatience of the "want it now" people cannot see that. I hope Mel sees the bigger picture better than you guys.

I give up. COYR ?

Sorry what evidence do u have of him being a very good manager ?

Building for the long term ? That doesn’t mean you can forget the here and now ! 

Of course I want him to do well but it’s just not happening - What players has he improved ? Which opposition manager can he claim to have out-foxed with superior tactics ? Which teams have we out fought and worked harder then ? Do the players appear to be motivated and buying into his philosophy and ideas ? 

The answer to all of these is sadly a resounding none or no ! I listened to his whole interview yesterday yet I can’t recall a single thing he said !

It’s always the last resort to sack a manager and I have some sympathy for the man but that’s football and always has been ! Things rarely go smoothly for any manager all the time - you have to work with what you’ve got and get the best out of them.

If I saw one sign that Cocu is a very good manager I would stand behind him but I just don’t see it ! I don’t like sacking managers but because we’ve done it too often before doesn’t mean we have to give Cocu more time than he deserves !

For me it’s 3 more games and if we are still in the bottom three his time is up.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Cocu has been dealt a really difficult hand, taking over so late from Frank and then being under the soft embargo this summer. He is under a directive to play 5 academy players and has injuries to 3 or 4 key players. He has made some signings with possibly a couple more to come in. Surely he deserves a bit of time and be judged on how his first choice team performs? I am as disappointed as anyone else, I struggle with the style, it isn’t great to watch and isn’t currently working. But I think we need to give him till ? to see if he can turn it around ?

The problem with that is that 65% of teams in the bottom three places at Christmas get relegated. If we wait until Christmas, it will probably be too late. 

Christ!!! Not another thread on who should be the next manager.

Isn't it changing the manager every time we have a slight blip that has got us in this mess? 

We still have players in the squad from the clough era and every manager in between.

Round holes in square pegs spring to mind.

Couple that with HAVING to bring through the youth and trying to put them in alongside new signings is bound to take time.

Cocu was bought in on a long term contract for a reason, not to get instant success.

Quite disappointed that this thread has emerged after three league games, but I can kinda understand it after the end to last season, and especially after the performance yesterday.

I don't think I've seen Derby play that badly for a very long time. Awful. I had two friends over to watch it on RamsTV (neither were Derby fans) and genuinely felt embarrassed by it. They were laughing their heads off. It was comically bad. 

I can see what PC is trying to do, and I'm a big fan of it: a possession based game, building from the back, intricate link play between midfield and attack, over-lapping full-backs, integrating youth players. It's a club philosophy, and I'm fully behind it.

My worry, and the worry from a lot of other posters by the looks of it, is: will this work in the Championship? Only time will tell, but league position and current performances are suggesting not.

I don't want to enter into a discussion yet about bringing another manager in, because I don't want to see another one come in. I want to see this team start getting it right. But like others, I need to start seeing the evidence for that soon, because yesterday was embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

The same Sean Dyche and Chris Wilder that, despite last season's performances, haven't won a game this season that is, and whose teams sit bottom and fourth from bottom with not a point between them.  And whose teams are highly unlikely to be in those positions come the end of the season, rather like ours.

But at least Wilder got United out of the championship!

The idea of Paul Cook reminds me of when we appointed Jim Smith, we decided to get back to basics instead of the glamour appointment and the fans were very underwhelmed at the time but it didn't work out to bad in the end did it!

Cocu I'm on the fence and not looking to change YET, but my biggest concern is when he questions the passion, motivation and attitude of the players when one of the main jobs of a manager in any profession is to ensure his staff are motivated and ready to take on the challenges ahead. The total lack of energy and fitness in our play is baffling to me with such a young side that should be champing at the bit to get at the opposition surely?

Archived