New Manager

dantheram

I’m not saying this should happen, but I do think Shteve Mclaren would do wonders with this squad 

Bielik in the Thorne Role

Ibe and Jozwiak on the wings

i know he’d win 10 games on the bounce and we’d drag out the final 3 months failing to recapture the Initial spark and end 9th....but he would get them going well

i want Eric Steel back coaching our keepers too. He’s wasted on RD.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have I missed something? I know yesterday was horrible, but they were exactly the same players as a week earlier at Luton. Blackburn are far better than Luton, yet everyone is surprised we lost (no excuses for the attitude of the players, but the fact still remains). He still hasn't got any forwards on the pitch apart from a way out of form Marriott and a new Polish winger in only his second start in English football.

Silly thread. It was pretty bad yesterday but there were some positives. Tempo was quicker and some of the football was decent. The midfield combo doesn't work. Change that and get a hold up striker in and the entire team dynamic changes. Form will improve with cocu in place but not until those pieces are there. 

He has a style of football that can work. Can you honesty say previous managers would have played knight, bird, sibs, buchanan and whitaker and had success. 2 players max at time. He doesn't have those options yet but he will. That players will also develop. 

His new signings need bedding in time as well. Altogether that's a lot of factors. 

Rooney needs dropping. Maybe he's trying to do too much, maybe it's a motivation/fitness issue. Perhaps he should be a super sub, he is in the twilight of his career. Isn't he a slow starter every season? Remember reading that somewhere. 

It'll come good. Long term over short term success. 

We're the supposed 12th man, but this man is trying to sabotage the plan. Literally like a crazy screaming monkey with a wrench. 

Getting a bit worried that Cocu is out of his depth with the type of football played in England especially in this division, very different to Holland as MTW has found but 3 games in is far too soon for the axe. Wait until 10 games in then if we are firmly in the bottom 3 he will need to be replaced just like any player who isn't cutting it would be. Paul Cook for me, or what about Redknap with Maclaren as his No.2 as Redknap knows good players when he sees them and Mac knows how to coach. I am now putting on my tin hat and self isolating at an undisclosed address.

I think the problem starts with Mel and won't be sorted by changing manager. Mel has poured a fortune into the club and he has clearly done his absolute best for the club. The problem is he wants a manager who will build for the future and play good football. Unfortunately, that is a recipe for expensive failure.

'Building' very rarely works as it gives everyone an excuse for failure - we'll be fine next season. Most teams that have been promoted from this league have played pragmatic football, so most managers who know how to build a side for promotion are regarded as a poor fit for our footballing ethos. Therefore, we are constantly trying to build with a manager who has no idea about what will actually work. That means that the walls are always built on sand. It just wastes time and money.

The one exception was Nigel Pearson who clashed so badly with Mel that one or other had to go. FWIW I think that Pearson would have eventually gotten it right, but that's clearly impossible to know. Rowett was reasonably pragmatic, but he's never actually achieved a promotion, so in many ways was the worst of all worlds.

Most teams get promoted in a manager's first full season. I'd argue that if we'd have gone for Warnock instead of Clement we'd have been promoted, but we wanted to get there by being Real Madrid.

The key is a Chairman who wants promotion - not a fancy promotion with pink frilly bits and vanity project academy kids. Until Mel either goes or changes his philosophy the manager doesn't matter.

For me personally there are two ways to go with the manager - 'attack, attack, attack' or 'promotion at all costs'.

The former is less likely to get us up, but I'm not actually sure I'd be that bothered if trips to pride park involved lots of 4-3 victories with the odd 5-6 defeat. It would actually be entertaining and exciting - probably more so than repeated relegation scraps in the Premier League. I suspect that Paul Simpson would be the best 'Kevin Keegan' available. Having spoken to a few knowledgeable people, most of McClaren's attacking football in late 2013  and early 2014 came from Simmo. McClaren reined that back when he got concerned that we were conceding too many.

As for a practical manager who will get likely us promoted, I'd go for Hughton. He's not a long ball merchant so we should get enough decent football to keep everyone happy, especially if results improve. He'd also get the best from Ibe and Jozwiak. Failing that then Big Sam - football would be a chore, but that can be fixed when we are a Premier League club.

4 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Paul Cook definitely. What he did with Chesterfield and between Christmas and July with Wigan. He knows his onions and this league. A scouser that can work with Roo to organise the team and change the style of play. 

We had 64% possession yesterday and twice as many corners but what's the point when you defend like that and can't score? 

My question would be 64% possesion in our half or there's. 

We had 78% possesion in the first half against Barrow with not one shot on goal. These stats are irrevant it's attempts on goal that count. 

Eddie Howe didn’t leave Bournemouth after relegation to preserve his reputation by taking on a Championship without any parachute payments and very little room to manoeuvre. 

I think October is going to be a tough month, so I do think that we could quite possibly see a manager change in the next couple of weeks. 

Paul Cook would be the most sensible choice. We could always look to promote in-house with Wassall and Lyons, too. The academy has been the best thing about the club for the past 3 years, perhaps we let them have a crack at the first team job. Whoever we bring in isn’t a guaranteed success; management in itself is a bit of an enigma. 

Cocu is the second manager in nearly 20 years to leave the club in a better position than he found it, in my opinion, if he does move on. We have a great foundation now to build on. Lyons and Wassall also deserve the credit for playing their part hence why I wouldn’t be against them being promoted. 

Archived