New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/12/2020 at 14:20, 24Charlie said:

Rooney has benefited from the return to match fitness of Beilik and CKR. To my mind this is more of the reason why we are doing better.

Rooney was part of the management team that was pretty rubbish post Cocu and they’re seemed no reason to think things would change.

As I said two key players made the difference but that may well have happened whoever was in charge because we were looking for goals and the only option left was to start CKR. It worked out and now Rooney seems to be a shoe in.

We were never a bad team and the turn around in fortunes was bound to happen.

I can’t say it was down to Rooney but equally I can’t say it wasn’t.

If we have the option of appointing a quality experienced coach once the takeover is complete then I’d go with that before giving it to Rooney.

Plus the not inconsiderable benefit that Rooney isn't being shoehorned into the team. 

If Rooney gets the role on a permanent basis, it will be because he has earns through the team responding to his messages. We’re not shipping goals, in fact we’ve improved massively in defence. We’ve also shown that we’ve started to attack and create more.

There are still some questions that will remain unanswered - how will Wayne and the team respond when we lose a couple in a row? Does he have the ability to recognise what players we need? If we think WR is the man to take us forward, it certainly won’t be just because of his name. He’s shown something in the 6 game sample size

7 hours ago, rammieib said:

Will he be asked to take a pay cut on his £80k plus weekly package?

I imagine a compromise along the lines of a 3-year deal on circa £30-40k could be agreed?

Will we lose the extra revenue from our sponsors if he stops playing?

I would argue he's even more high profile as a manager than as a player. 

Regular press conferences in front of the sponsor's logo and a great story of how he turned bottom of the league into giants of Europe. 

7 hours ago, Bubbles said:

It’s nailed on that Rooney will be given the job.

It will 100% be either Rosenior or Mac as his assistant(Rosenior if Mac takes up a DoF role).

Totally agree with the Rooney statement, I reckon that Rooney being around the club either in a playing or managing capacity is a massive part of the take over deal, he's the golden goose for them. He is a constant earner for who ever he is invloved in.

14 minutes ago, nickmi16 said:

Totally agree with the Rooney statement, I reckon that Rooney being around the club either in a playing or managing capacity is a massive part of the take over deal, he's the golden goose for them. He is a constant earner for who ever he is invloved in.

Agreed. I assume this was the goal of Mel. Rise the stature of the club via Lampard/Cocu/Rooney to get it sold. They might not be the best managers around but the status they have in the game are massive.

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

Will he be asked to take a pay cut on his £80k plus weekly package?

I imagine a compromise along the lines of a 3-year deal on circa £30-40k could be agreed?

Will we lose the extra revenue from our sponsors if he stops playing?

Where do you get this figure from? Word is he was only on £12k during his last period in US. 

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Where do you get this figure from? Word is he was only on £12k during his last period in US. 

I don’t think we’d have needed a special boost from the sponsor if it was only £12k.

£80k was number widely quoted on here but as ever we will never know for sure (nor are we entitled to know)

45 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Maybe initial season but i read he dropped wage due to mls rules. 

That's the figure for his last year. He was a 'designated' player and such players can be paid wages way beyond the MLS standard salary cap. Found this for what it's worth...

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wayne-rooney-Derby-county-wage-3701211

12 hours ago, nickmi16 said:

Yes, it's  not inconceivable that Mr Morris had the sale of the club in mind when he took Lampard on. Then when Rooney became available, he also fit the bill of being a high profile carrot to dangle to any potential investor. Quite shrewd of Mr Morris to tap onto the typical psyche of the proposed owners. Image first, substance later..... maybe. 

4 hours ago, europia said:

Yes, it's  not inconceivable that Mr Morris had the sale of the club in mind when he took Lampard on. Then when Rooney became available, he also fit the bill of being a high profile carrot to dangle to any potential investor. Quite shrewd of Mr Morris to tap onto the typical psyche of the proposed owners. Image first, substance later..... maybe. 

managers come and go and there’s any number of ex celeb footballers whom they could hire. The Sheikh is getting a PL club in waiting with all the trimmings at a championship price.  Isn’t that the attraction ?

i think when MM took Lampard on he had the PL firmly in mind and realised how useful the odd Tomori and mount might be. And rather fancied mixing with the glitterati of the English football establishment. The gamble very nearly paid off. 

FL showed him the power of celebrity and so now we have WR who came with a handy deal from 32Red. 
Not sure a sale was driving either hire but ok could have been a factor I guess 

4 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

managers come and go and there’s any number of ex celeb footballers whom they could hire. The Sheikh is getting a PL club in waiting with all the trimmings at a championship price.  Isn’t that the attraction ?

i think when MM took Lampard on he had the PL firmly in mind and realised how useful the odd Tomori and mount might be. And rather fancied mixing with the glitterati of the English football establishment. The gamble very nearly paid off. 

FL showed him the power of celebrity and so now we have WR who came with a handy deal from 32Red. 
Not sure a sale was driving either hire but ok could have been a factor I guess 

The lampard s and Rooney s bring in money in sponsorship, tv appearances and can attract players we may not attract without them so it’s a win win if they can do the job well 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

The lampard s and Rooney s bring in money in sponsorship, tv appearances and can attract players we may not attract without them so it’s a win win if they can do the job well 

I think it's been great business from MM bringing them in. Arguably 2 of England's best players in recent times. Also, both were top goalscorers from 2 of the best teams in English football.

They would have instant respect from the players, especially the midfield & attacking players at the club.

Having seen the last 6 games under Rooney, I now think that with backing, he will do well for this club.

If he doesn't get poached by them gits up at Old Trafford that is ?

2 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

I think it's been great business from MM bringing them in. Arguably 2 of England's best players in recent times. Also, both were top goalscorers from 2 of the best teams in English football.

They would have instant respect from the players, especially the midfield & attacking players at the club.

Having seen the last 6 games under Rooney, I now think that with backing, he will do well for this club.

If he doesn't get poached by them gits up at Old Trafford that is ?

If we had beaten Rotherham, only one team would have taken more points from their last six games than us. How unexpected was that.

Archived