Jump to content

New Manager


dantheram
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, GenBr said:

He gets credit for making us defensively solid, but he has done it at the expense of any attacking prowess whatsoever. As far as I am concerned there is very little difference between the way we play under Rooney and the way we played under Cocu. We've stopped changing the team quite so often and Bielik is back now, but other than that its basically the same.

Got to say that was just like a cocu game but in fact if we had kept him we would have won 4 0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Because he has improved us a great deal in a very short time. Has changed the playing style completely from ponderous, slow possession for possessions sake football that was boring us all to tears to something that is much more watchable. He has stopped the rot of almost constant 2,3 and 4 nil defeats and made us hard to beat. Yes we are not yet scoring many goals but that will come, the first job was to make us defensively solid. He has continued to give the youngsters a chance. He appears to have the backing of the players. Wcould not reasonably have expected him to have achieved much more than he has in this short time  

OK So now you have even more evidence to support what I was saying earlier on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can see Rooney bringing the team together, fostering a 'real team spirit & hard work ethic'  Getting the fans & his doubters onside. Making steady progress in otherwords. Only for the 'new owners' to dispose of him & bring in their own man, & off we go again on the endless merry-go-round! It's "The Derby Way"!! 

Edited by Vulcanboy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ramfan1958 said:

I'm one who thought Rooney wasn't the man we needed to manage the club going forward.

But we have to say we are starting to look a totally different team and if this continues he deserves his chance. 

Think it could work with Mac in the background. Loved the shot of Steve grinning from ear to ear at the beauty of our second goal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wayne Rooney went about his managerial audition the exact opposite way that I would've liked to have seen. Nevertheless, for an inexperienced young coach, he's producing results and performances you would expect a side that is run by an experienced manager - and it's extremely hard not to be impressed. 

He opted with experience, physicality and has now built a team on their defensive prowess. The Wycombe and Coventry games were disappointing, not to pick up a win after leading in both games, but those early signs of promise have gradually become more prominent and increased with time. I didn't watch the game tonight, but by all accounts we seem to have found our system, spine and with that a more polished all-round performance that had attacking football at its core. 

It seems the players are all in on Rooney becoming the new manager, in which case we should really let him play out the rest of his contract as the manager and tread lightly. If he does adequately then we can begin to look at a more long-term deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

we should really let him play out the rest of his contract as the manager and tread lightly. If he does adequately then we can begin to look at a more long-term deal.

yes I think the new owners may well ask him simply to carry on as caretaker until the summer.    But as we climb up the table, he and his agent will be telling the club 'you need to appoint him". If by Feb we are escaping relegation concerns and if they do not appoint, it could get very awkward. SM has a big, big role to play in the transition, very wise to bring him in

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Wayne Rooney went about his managerial audition the exact opposite way that I would've liked to have seen. Nevertheless, for an inexperienced young coach, he's producing results and performances you would expect a side that is run by an experienced manager - and it's extremely hard not to be impressed. 

He opted with experience, physicality and has now built a team on their defensive prowess. The Wycombe and Coventry games were disappointing, not to pick up a win after leading in both games, but those early signs of promise have gradually become more prominent and increased with time. I didn't watch the game tonight, but by all accounts we seem to have found our system, spine and with that a more polished all-round performance that had attacking football at its core. 

It seems the players are all in on Rooney becoming the new manager, in which case we should really let him play out the rest of his contract as the manager and tread lightly. If he does adequately then we can begin to look at a more long-term deal.

I had and still have reservations about Rooney as our manager, no badges, no manager experience ,not sure of his character  with regard his front page exploits in the past.

However it appears by recent performances the team have started to gain confidence,improve performances and work rate,. The pace ,tempo and offensive play has re-emerged and results have  taken a complete turn for the better.

I appreciate Bielik is back ,Joz  has had more time to settle which no doubt has helped out predicament,  But Rooney appears to be doing a good job and deserves credit for recent performances.

Whether this will prove to be just a flash in the pan ,time will tell. Until then I take my hat off to him and the coaching team for recent results and let's hope it continues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ram1964 said:

I had and still have reservations about Rooney as our manager, no badges, no manager experience ,not sure of his character  with regard his front page exploits in the past.

However it appears by recent performances the team have started to gain confidence,improve performances and work rate,. The pace ,tempo and offensive play has re-emerged and results have  taken a complete turn for the better.

I appreciate Bielik is back ,Joz  has had more time to settle which no doubt has helped out predicament,  But Rooney appears to be doing a good job and deserves credit for recent performances.

Whether this will prove to be just a flash in the pan ,time will tell. Until then I take my hat off to him and the coaching team for recent results and let's hope it continues.

Rooney has coaching badges. He's just one level short of having the one required for being a Championship manager (was on schedule to get it by the end of the season)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

Not sure what your expecting, we were bottom when Rooney took over so we have no given right to beat other relegation teams.

It's not Rooney's fault we have nothing up front so give him chance. Lets see where we are end of Jan to see if it was a poor appointment.

But Bashing Rooney is just plain ridiculous at this moment.

imo 😁

Not sure why you're not sure what I was expecting as I made that perfectly clear in the original post. 

And bashing - very emotive word to use - in all walks of life internal expectations are set and communicated without being branded as bashing - the appraisal system for example - the manager will sit down with the employee to discuss how they are performing against their expectations without it ever being branded as a bashing.

Anyhows I note that after my bashing of Rooney in your words we won a game so if I carry on we might win a few more games. You never know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't see there being any delay in appointing Rooney or not as soon as the takeover is done. Basically because nothing can be confirmed until then but that's when we'll know. So before Christmas then.

In a way it's tough on Rooney. In normal circumstances of being a caretaker for a sacked manager Rooney would have been confirmed by now because Mel could see the change in squad attitude and performance. He would be able to crack on assembling his backroom staff and looking at options in the window. Rooney however is one bad result away from losing his chance and giving the new owners an reason to go elsewhere. Bear in mind that this deal has been going on for ages. BHZ may well have someone lined up to come in but right now Wayne is giving them every reason to stick with the incumbent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Not sure why you're not sure what I was expecting as I made that perfectly clear in the original post. 

And bashing - very emotive word to use - in all walks of life internal expectations are set and communicated without being branded as bashing - the appraisal system for example - the manager will sit down with the employee to discuss how they are performing against their expectations without it ever being branded as a bashing.

Anyhows I note that after my bashing of Rooney in your words we won a game so if I carry on we might win a few more games. You never know.

I agree, but that is Mels job not ours as fans. We can criticise if a manager is doing poorly, but as i said, what exactly has Rooney done wrong?

We had no god given right to beat Cov & Wycombe as we statistically were the worst team in the league, lowest scorers in the entire EFL and not won a home game.

He inherited a very poor side, low on Fitness and confidence and he's turned us into a team whos hard to beat and looks like scoring goals now.

2 wins and 4 draws with 4 consecutive clean sheets from what he started with is a great start in my opinion. Like I said, what more could he do given the situation and mind set of the squad when he took over?

If we had lost 4 and drew 2 then I would prob agree with you, but I stand by my original post.

Edited by mwram1973
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mwram1973 said:

I agree, but that is Mels job not ours as fans. We can criticise if a manager is doing poorly, but as i said, what exactly has Rooney done wrong?

We had no god given right to beat Cov & Wycombe as we statistically were the worst team in the league, lowest scorers in the entire EFL and not won a home game.

He inherited a very poor side, low on Fitness and confidence and he's turned us into a team whos hard to beat and looks like scoring goals now.

2 wins and 4 draws with 4 consecutive clean sheets from what he started with is a great start in my opinion. Like I said, what more could he do given the situation and mind set of the squad when he took over?

If we had lost 4 and drew 2 then I would prob agree with you, but I stand by my original post.

You've overlooked the whole import of my first reply - regardless whether we agree or disagree about out expectations regards Rooney, "bashing" is far too strong an adjective and is indeed unhelpful to use and comes across as though my original points were totally irrational and based upon nothing than some skewed personal dislike of the person himself. 

You've also embellished your own reply to justify your own argument by stating 2 wins and 4 draws - when I formed my original post his record was a single win and 4 draws. 

The long and short of it is my original post was fair comment and being labelled as bashing comes across as though I have some personal vendetta about the man himself which is untrue and totally inappropriate to infer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

You've overlooked the whole import of my first reply - regardless whether we agree or disagree about out expectations regards Rooney, "bashing" is far too strong an adjective and is indeed unhelpful to use and comes across as though my original points were totally irrational and based upon nothing than some skewed personal dislike of the person himself. 

You've also embellished your own reply to justify your own argument by stating 2 wins and 4 draws - when I formed my original post his record was a single win and 4 draws. 

The long and short of it is my original post was fair comment and being labelled as bashing comes across as though I have some personal vendetta about the man himself which is untrue and totally inappropriate to infer. 

I'm not arguing, i'm giving you my opinion of your post which i thought was unfair on a man who has improved us, even at 1 win and 4 draws we could all see it was going in the right direction. What exactly were you expecting?, champagne football as soon as he took over?, beating teams that were playing better than us?. We had no confidence, fitness or direction in which we wanted to play.

Rooney has come in and changed all that, we now look fitter, stronger and have a game plan which is obviously working so lets give him credit eh. Whether he continues to do well we'll have to see but until then whats wrong with giving him our support instead of trying to critique every little thing he does that you (a fan) don't agree with.

You seem to be quite upset by the term "bashing", again, that is my opinion of your's and some others posts recently and i'm sorry if that term offends you but i'm sure you will not lose any sleep over it and I stand by what I said.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

I'm not arguing, i'm giving you my opinion of your post which i thought was unfair on a man who has improved us, even at 1 win and 4 draws we could all see it was going in the right direction. What exactly were you expecting?, champagne football as soon as he took over?, beating teams that were playing better than us?. We had no confidence, fitness or direction in which we wanted to play.

Rooney has come in and changed all that, we now look fitter, stronger and have a game plan which is obviously working so lets give him credit eh. Whether he continues to do well we'll have to see but until then whats wrong with giving him our support instead of trying to critique every little thing he does that you (a fan) don't agree with.

You seem to be quite upset by the term "bashing", again, that is my opinion of your's and some others posts recently and i'm sorry if that term offends you but i'm sure you will not lose any sleep over it and I stand by what I said.

 

Bashing comes across as someone furthering some personal prejudice about another individual based on nothing of any substance and only serves to belittle the original matter being progressed.

Am happy to agree or disagree with anyone but when we start using words such as bashing when opinions differ is inappropriate as this only serves to try and devalue the original points being made and make out the poster is progressing some hysterical jaundiced view. 

The word bashing doesn't offend me it's the inappropriate use of which causes me consternation.

Edited by Tyler Durden
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Bashing comes across as someone furthering some personal prejudice about another individual based on nothing of any substance and only serves to belittle the original matter being progressed.

Am happy to agree or disagree with anyone but when we start using words such as bashing when opinions differ is inappropriate as this only serves to try and devalue the original points being made and make out the poster is progressing some hysterical jaundiced view. 

The word bashing doesn't offend me it's the inappropriate use of which causes me consternation.

Really???, you've kept that quiet 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.