Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'm not guessing. Lampard did exactly the thing I am saying that the likes of Rooney and Terry would do. It would be incredibly naive to think a former elite level player would stay at an upper Championship size club any longer than absolutely necessary. 

Of course you're guessing. And the point being if they were any good we'd be in the Prem, not the Championship!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

McClaren was a big name also though. Ex-England & title winner in Holland.

By contrast, no Prem club tempted Dyche, Wilder, Howe, Farke etc away...all got their sides promoted into the Prem but none of them had the profile to interest bigger clubs or the 'romance' factor that Lampard to Chelsea had or Rooney to Everton/Manu would provide.

Absolutely spot on. Your comment also answers the question regarding media constantly pimping the likes of John Terry for the managers job.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Of course you're guessing. And the point being if they were any good we'd be in the Prem, not the Championship!

Lampard got the Chelsea job after not getting us promoted!

That's my point. Their name alone opens doors that they will be more than happy to walk through and they don't even have to take us very far. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

McClaren was a big name also though. Ex-England & title winner in Holland.

By contrast, no Prem club tempted Dyche, Wilder, Howe, Farke etc away...all got their sides promoted into the Prem but none of them had the profile to interest bigger clubs or the 'romance' factor that Lampard to Chelsea had or Rooney to Everton/Manu would provide.

Rowett was nearly poached by stoke when in the premier league and then was when they got relegated 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Abu Derby said:

Has anyone shortened or lengthened yet? Wondering if there’s a chance to make a bit of money in time for Christmas. 

I think most people stop growing in their late teens so chances are most of our candidates will have remained the same height since we sacked Cocu. I'm also not sure where you would place such a bet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think the point we are trying to make is that to the likes of Rooney and Terry we are only ever the first rung of the ladder to them. As soon as the next step presents itself they are off, regardless of the situation that leaves us with. You cannot plan longer term with them in charge. 

An older head or a less marketable name, that has been there and done it might fancy bedding down for a longer term project. 

 

In the same way legendary Barcelona midfielder and 100+ Dutch international Phillip Cocu bedded down with us for the long term? 

Where did bringing the kids through and looking at things longer term than a season get him and his staff?

It's modern football, you don't get time to build a squad, there is no point looking beyond the next 12 months in all honesty.

Long term is now the end of the season, not the end of your contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

Rowett was nearly poached by stoke when in the premier league and then was when they got relegated 

True although slight difference between Rooney's eventual destination (should he be successful) & Stoke on the slide. Rowett in fact turned them down after we kept Stoke at bay with a better contract. Fair to say we wouldnt be able to do that against one of the Prem big boys.

Championship managers do get poached from time to time but it is reasonably rare to see them start at a Prem club without prior Prem experience. Most hires are either big name foreign managers or usual suspects with Prem experience (likes of Bruce, Hughes, Pardew etc)

Of course big name players are able to jump that hurdle because of their reputation in the game & marketability to global audiences. This is the risk with Rooney that wouldn't apply to say, Paul Cook. He knows that which is why he's here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Has anyone shortened or lengthened yet? Wondering if there’s a chance to make a bit of money in time for Christmas. 

One more win or good showing as a minimum (maybe before) and we all know it’ll be given to young Wayne. 
 

The club are tripping over themselves for more PR. sickening and SAD. 
 

Yes I know he’s done ok, but long term is a different matter altogether. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kingpin said:

One more win or good showing as a minimum (maybe before) and we all know it’ll be given to young Wayne. 
 

The club are tripping over themselves for more PR. sickening and SAD. 
 

Yes I know he’s done ok, but long term is a different matter altogether. 
 

 

By the way I don't think it will happen but if Sheffield utd sack Wilder.... we should go all out to get him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rev said:

In the same way legendary Barcelona midfielder and 100+ Dutch international Phillip Cocu bedded down with us for the long term? 

Where did bringing the kids through and looking at things longer term than a season get him and his staff?

It's modern football, you don't get time to build a squad, there is no point looking beyond the next 12 months in all honesty.

Long term is now the end of the season, not the end of your contract.

I'd argue Cocu's long term plan gave him more time than he would ordinarily have got. Its clear Mel & most of the fans had bought into it. By the time he left the club, we'd sunk to the bottom of the division & werent scoring at all...Rowett, Clement, Lampard, McClaren would all have been sacked well before Barnsley at home (and possibly last Christmas)

There has to be some element of long term planning & continuity otherwise you end up skint & with the kind of disjointed squad we've had for the past 3/4 years. If you're going to argue that managers come & go and we shouldn't ever expect them to stay more than a year, then we need a Director of Football to run the club as a whole & to recruit managers to suit the specific skillset of the squad.

Edited by LeedsCityRam
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

you don't think taking over an Everton team struggling in 18th to 8th counts as success?

Allardyce actually took charge of Everton when they were 13th. They finished 8th. Whilst under Allardyce's management, Everton were ranked 20th for total shots, 19th for total shots on target, 16th for passing accuracy and 17th for shots faced. The club is proud of our academy, as are the fans, do we want to completely ruin it by appointing Allardyce, who was accused of not playing youth at West Ham, who pride themselves on their academy too?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bubbles said:

Sean Dyche for me.

Worked so so well with Burnley, took them as far as he could, now he needs a new project.

If he could do that with the (lets be honest) average facilities of Burnley, I’m certain he’d be able to do a job with us.

Looking forward to receiving my Rams neckbrace. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.