New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 24Charlie said:

Chris Hughton was touted heavily on this forum. In fact just about every time the job came up he was being mentioned.

Anyone think that now?

Given the choice would you stick with Rooney or take Hughton. He may well be out of a job soon the way things are going over there.

Maybe the Forest job is just poisonous.

Perhaps the Derby job is too

I can't see myself why anyone would want to hire a rookie manager, who has currently won 1 game of the 5 he has now managed to be in charge of, over someone with five EFL promotions and a reputation for keeping teams from the drop. 

You can say what you like about the perceived style-of-play that Allardyce brings, but doesn't this normally come from the fact that he largely inherits under-performing teams who need to stop losing before anything else? The job he did at West Ham, Sunderland, Crystal Palace and Everton was remarkable. 

And again, if you're issue is the style-of-play, then isn't it worth remembering that no manager brings a guaranteed style of play? Not really? I knew what I thought we were going to get from Cocu and that never happened. It's not exactly swash-buckling under Rooney. And please point me to any complaints being made currently by Boro fans who have turned their fortunes upside down after appointing Neil Warnock.

He wouldn't be my number one choice, but I would have Sam Allardyce at this club in a heartbeat over the likes of Rooney and Terry. He'd keep us up, and he'd probably take us up, too. Oh, and seeing as he has a very positive relationship with Rooney, there's every chance he'd have him as part of his coaching team and probably teach him a thing or too, as well. Rooney clearly prefers a direct style. Who better to learn from than Big Sam.  

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

He lives round here, and he's probably taken Burnley as far as he can, realistically. He might just want a new challenge. It could also be as mentioned above that with Burnley being taken over he could be getting pushed out. I can see a few reasons as to why he might leave Burnley, it's not just as simple as they're Premier League and we aren't.

Allardyce is looking for a job like our situation. He is a certain success as near as can be. He has been out of work for two years. Rooney could be a better option but managers do not stay long at Clubs. Allardyce or a manager of a similar age may want to stay until he retires completely which could be an advantage. John Terry would probably go to a bigger club quite quickly if successful. The flow of cash for buying players is the key but a promotion next season would possibly mean a strong flow of cash to make a viable attempt at staying up free from EFL constraints. Next few games are a big test for Wayne and strong team effort is essential. Realistically we are a long way behind the likes of Brentford but Blackburn got a draw out if them. 

47 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How can it be when the new owners might be similar to the Venky's or SISU?

They may be but they may also be a Leicester owner ex ... I was more referring to the excellent facilities, stadium, youth academy, bigger fanbase ex...

I doubt if anyone is more determined to make a success out of the Rams job than Wazza. Can anyone who has been coached by lesser managers than Rooney has in his career really catch up to what Rooney has absorbed by doing a coaching badge. I think not. Yes, Wayne will need a badge but he must know an incredible amount by now. If the players are giving everything for the cause after six games then Wayne has done wonders because it looked very difficult to achieve.

5 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Allardyce is looking for a job like our situation. He is a certain success as near as can be. He has been out of work for two years. Rooney could be a better option but managers do not stay long at Clubs. Allardyce or a manager of a similar age may want to stay until he retires completely which could be an advantage. John Terry would probably go to a bigger club quite quickly if successful. The flow of cash for buying players is the key but a promotion next season would possibly mean a strong flow of cash to make a viable attempt at staying up free from EFL constraints. Next few games are a big test for Wayne and strong team effort is essential. Realistically we are a long way behind the likes of Brentford but Blackburn got a draw out if them. 

Not quite sure why this is replied to me but, Allardyce is far from guaranteed success. It's been years since he's been in the Championship, and then he had by far the most expensive squad. Why is having an ambitious manager a bad thing? I'd hate if Terry and Rooney wouldn't be eyeing up better jobs. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Allardyce is far from guaranteed success.

No such thing as we all know. But it can’t hurt to get someone in with a healthy track record. We’ve  done unproven, and also hardened old pro’s without success so there’s nothing to lose. 

Allardyce would be a great choice. People who moan about his 'style' forget that he's brought in to stabilise the situation and then build from there more often than not. If Allardyce is given the reigns of a team and is allowed to stay for a few years he'll bring a style which is plenty attractive enough or do people not remember that splendid Bolton team he built with Okocha, Campo, Anelka etc.  doing the business for them. 

4 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

that splendid Bolton team he built with Okocha, Campo, Anelka etc.  doing the business for them. 

Was a good team, it was also so long ago that it no longer has any relevance. Everton fans hated his football. 

5 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

No such thing as we all know. But it can’t hurt to get someone in with a healthy track record. We’ve  done unproven, and also hardened old pro’s without success so there’s nothing to lose. 

He'd probably want quite a bit of money to come here. I also really don't think switching back to hoofball is overly sensible.

10 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Not quite sure why this is replied to me but, Allardyce is far from guaranteed success. It's been years since he's been in the Championship, and then he had by far the most expensive squad. Why is having an ambitious manager a bad thing? I'd hate if Terry and Rooney wouldn't be eyeing up better jobs. 

Not replied to you. Posted in wrong box yet again.my apologies.

With regards to the Allardyce sting with England, I think what was being suggested was definitely morally wrong but it is important to remember that in the video, he made several clear lines he would not cross regarding financial benefits for players, managers and owners to facilitate transfers.

What he was also discussing is legal in many leagues across the world. If he was dead set on pursuing the concepts himself, he could easily do it. Its just this country that has strict rules on third party ownership. He was advising how to circumvent them in the sting video, not suggesting that he would do it.

He was selling his knowledge and experience, not his services. I suggest people go back and look again at exactly what was happening. He would never have worked again if he was doing what people are suggesting he was doing.

(Worded as sensitively as possible for the benefit of the mods)

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Was a good team, it was also so long ago that it no longer has any relevance. Everton fans hated his football. 

He'd probably want quite a bit of money to come here. I also really don't think switching back to hoofball is overly sensible.

It speaks to the fact that Allardyce is not necessarily just a hoofball merchant as you're claiming but that he has the ability and will to produce good footballing teams when given the time. How much time did he get at Everton? 8 months or so? Taking over a team left by Koeman who is now also sinking at Barcelona he stabilised them and got them up the table which is precisely what we need. 

I mean 'hoofball' i.e. a more direct approach is exactly Rooney has been piloting in the past three games. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Of course it has relevance. Why wouldn't it had relevance? That's the club he spent the longest period of time at so it's certainly relevant in a discussion of what your team might look like if you give Big Sam the job long-term.

And Everton fans, like West Ham fans, seem to have a pre-conceived notion of how their team should play. It's a bit like the Derby Way thing. Fans had their noses up straight away when he got appointed and didn't change their mind, despite him taking them from near the bottom of the league to 8th.

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Our previous two managers were among the highest paid in the division. And assuming we'd just suddenly start playing hoofball is unfair. It's a bit like when I expected us to play like PSV when we hired Cocu. I was buzzing for it. I'd watched so much of that side that I thought I knew exactly how it was going to play out. I was wrong...it never happened, as we have all found out together!

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

It speaks to the fact that Allardyce is not necessarily just a hoofball merchant as you're claiming but that he has the ability and will to produce good footballing teams when given the time. How much time did he get at Everton? 8 months or so? Taking over a team left by Koeman who is now also sinking at Barcelona he stabilised them and got them up the table which is precisely what we need. 

I mean 'hoofball' i.e. a more direct approach is exactly Rooney has been piloting in the past three games. 

Yep big Sam is my pick , the hoofball thing is just type casting that’s stuck because he’s done some very good jobs in difficult situations and then been dumped for in the main some sexy sounding manager from abroad , would love to see him given our job and asked to build us a good footballing side ,, Rooney is doing the forget the Derby way bit and just get it done and rightly so

Archived