New Manager

dantheram

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

So on the 15th of November, the club tweet this...

And yet today, on the 2nd of December, The Derby Telegraph are reporting that "The Rams have not yet spoken to or interviewed candidates for the post" (https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-county-rooney-terry-manager-4759377)

You've even got our "interim manager" now saying that this all needs to get sorted for the good of the club so we can get moving forward. So what the *uck are they playing at? I'm not buying the "waiting for the owners" rubbish because if they can make a joint decision (Mel and the Sheikh) to sack the previous manager then they can bloody well get on with hiring one. 

Sadly you have completely misinterpreted this tweet.

By 'identifiying the next manager' they mean that it is the bloke on the pitch towards the south stand.

Unfortunately he is so small on the photo that they can't work out who it is.

They are thus in the process of identifying him. Mel has paid Ipswich £6 million for a magnifying glass whilst Steven Pearce is in loan talks with Leeds for a pair of binoculars. We were going to get a microscope from Germany but weren't willing to pay the postage.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

They’re actually working remarkably quickly considering the circumstances.

If you worked for Toyota or Rolls or any company of any size at all and sacked a group of 3 senior managers, then to avoid subsequent tribunals you would have to agree a settlement with them each individually. Mainly that’s about money, but not all of it. There will be timescales and banks and currencies to consider. That takes time and lawyers and accountants on both sides.

Lets then say you want to employ successors but you also have a number of possible internal candidates some of whom may have a BAME background. You want to employ a new team but you have to be seen to be fair to avoid claims of racial, age or any other discrimination. You cannot be seen to have decided upon your new team in advance of a fair process being carried out that gives all those people time to prepare for their interview and the selection process. You may also be actively required to include people from a BAME background in the process and to do so you might have to set up discussions with people currently employed elsewhere, or their representatives.

You then have to select, fairly, a shortlist and set up an interview panel which could potentially involve people from overseas. There might be several such interviews possibly including the use of technology which the candidates may need to have time to prepare for. You might want to set aside several days and have more than one interview.

You may want to test the internal candidates against external candidates, some, but not all, of whom might be out of work and available immediately. You may have to get permission to talk to current employers. You might want to get an idea of what any external candidates might want by way of salary and other terms before you decide whether you want to interview them. All of that takes time.

And let’s say that your company is also in the midst of a possible takeover. The future is uncertain. It’s certainly even more complex than it might normally be and complexity delays processes.

If Derby have done all of that in two weeks (and maybe moving Phillip, Chris and Twan wasn't something they planned much in advance) then they are moving on very, very quickly.

Alternatively, of course, they could run roughshod over their own and the EFL's policies, ignore employment law and good practice and just announce who they want to appoint. And then get stuffed in a succession of tribunals.

All makes sense except Forest have literally appointed their next manger within an hour of sacking the previous one twice now!

14 minutes ago, Bluedogmaz said:

All makes sense except Forest have literally appointed their next manger within an hour of sacking the previous one twice now!

Sure.  Perhaps they went through a process whilst they still had a manager in post and we didn't do that because the outgoing team were sacked when we were still hoping they would succeed.  Or perhaps they went through no process, paid the outgoing managers a large slug of money and took the risk.  Who knows, or cares, what the Reddogs did?

Mel is often criticised on these pages for taking shortcuts but perhaps he isn't this time, maybe because he realises how important the appointment is, maybe because we have new owners/investors in the wings and who want a part to play, maybe because there are a number (at least 5 by my count) of possible internal candidates who may or may not be interested but who should be given the opportunity.

McLaren's been appointed to help the process along but he may also be suggesting people from abroad which could be adding complexity and delay.

I can't believe that they've let it drag on this long. Considering the position we're in, what an incredible time to gamble on the Rooney Management Project. Who knows when the takeover will happen and we are able to START interviewing candidates. We might not even have a new manager in place before Christmas at this rate. Totally irresponsible decision making from the board.

DET keep suggesting it's not going to be Terry, that nobody has been interviewed or spoken to and that the new manager won't be confirmed until the sale goes through

For me it points to Rooney being appointed, probably at the same time as the sale or very shortly after

So, the word in the media is that "a permanent manager will not be appointed until the takeover has been completed". Since we need a permanent manager, irrespective of who owns the club - and the new owner is in dialogue with the intended purchaser - this makes me wonder as to why we're not going ahead with an agreed candidate. Possible reasons:

1. After the takeover, we may be able to afford somebody we can't otherwise (Welcome Rafa)
  2. The new owner wants to be seen making the appointment (fair play to him, could backfire if the manager fails though)
  3. The new owner is too busy - with the takeover and other matters - that he cannot yet be part of the interviews (most likely)
  4. They're giving Rooney the chance to shine in the role

FWIW I still think it'll be Rooney.

7 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

So, the word in the media is that "a permanent manager will not be appointed until the takeover has been completed". Since we need a permanent manager, irrespective of who owns the club - and the new owner is in dialogue with the intended purchaser - this makes me wonder as to why we're not going ahead with an agreed candidate. Possible reasons:

1. After the takeover, we may be able to afford somebody we can't otherwise (Welcome Rafa)
  2. The new owner wants to be seen making the appointment (fair play to him, could backfire if it fails through though)
  3. The new owner is too busy - with the takeover and other matters - that he cannot yet be part of the interviews (most likely)

Think they're hoping Rooney turns this around so the fans warm to him, before they announce him as permanent manager 

My first choice after Cocu left was Sean Dyche , things going a bit stale for him at Burnley , clashes with owner etc , now theres talk about a takeover being nearly complete at Turf Moor and that Dyche might be shown the door , if this indeed happens we should be first in the queue for him , he has been known to take an interest in our players occasionally after all , if available i think he would be the ideal man to rebuild us

3 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

My first choice after Cocu left was Sean Dyche , things going a bit stale for him at Burnley , clashes with owner etc , now theres talk about a takeover being nearly complete at Turf Moor and that Dyche might be shown the door , if this indeed happens we should be first in the queue for him , he has been known to take an interest in our players occasionally after all , if available i think he would be the ideal man to rebuild us

No thanks Burnley are a bore and our players don’t suit his style so would have to start again 

17 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Would need a massive incentive to even consider dropping down to a championship dog fight I’d imagine. 

nice idea but doubtful. 

4 hours ago, IslandExile said:

2. The new owner wants to be seen making the appointment (fair play to him, could backfire if the manager fails though)

I think Rooney already has the job. He is high profile. He could attract good loan players and has Mac3 to help him. Apart from getting relegated, what could go wrong.

From the DET:  “Training

Rooney says he hasn’t been training with the team, doing individual work at home. Concentrating on preparing the team”

Wtaf?? Surely this can’t be true. Surely he was at Moor Farm watching the players train?!?

Archived