New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Technical director doesn't play second fiddle to the manager. He's above him in the hierarchy.

So last time McClaren was boss, you are saying his Technical Director Chris Evans was above him in the hierarchy?  

Just now, i-Ram said:

So last time McClaren was boss, you are saying his Technical Director Chris Evans was above him in the hierarchy?  

This is the main problem with all this 'technical director / director of football' stuff. Chain of command is unclear. Who's in charge, the bloke who oversees the big picture or the bloke who picks the team?

6 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Hmm, good point. I'd forgotten we'd had a technical director before. I'd have though McClaren would be performing a different role than Evans, though the use of the same job title makes me question this.

I still doubt this role will seen him playing second fiddle to Rooney or any other inexperienced manager, though. If, in three months' time, you judge this to be the case (must be an inexperienced manager), I'll graciously donate £20 to a charity of your choice. 

I'm still confident of my Bill Gates bet though!

16 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Hmm, good point. I'd forgotten we'd had a technical director before. I'd have though McClaren would be performing a different role than Evans, though the use of the same job title makes me question this.

I still doubt this role will seen him playing second fiddle to Rooney or any other inexperienced manager, though. If, in three months' time, you judge this to be the case (must be an inexperienced manager), I'll graciously donate £20 to a charity of your choice. 

I'm still confident of my Bill Gates bet though!

You are my favourite charity case. Spend the money on something wisely.

20 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

This is the main problem with all this 'technical director / director of football' stuff. Chain of command is unclear. Who's in charge, the bloke who oversees the big picture or the bloke who picks the team?

I bet the bloke who picks the team is on more dosh. As per my email above/below to Nick, McClaren seems to have been appointed as Technical Director, and not Director of Football. When Chris Evans was last around he had the same title, and would surely have been secondary to McClaren. I think Mac is simply there as ‘old hands’ to support the young coaching team and Manager (Rooney if he grabs a couple of wins in the next 8 days).

5 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Maybe the bookies know something we dont. The bookies stand to lose lots if Rooney gets it, I bet a few have jumped on at 7 or even 9/1.

You would have thought as soon as Mac was announced the odds for Rooney would have shortened.

Could be Terry after all, alongside Mac I'd be happy with that.

Me too even if I lose £15

Not sure how I feel about this to be honest. I'm leaning to the side of the sceptics. There doesn't seem to be any clear remit as to who will be doing what and I share the concern others have mentioned on here regarding the danger of 'too many cooks'. I was never personally in favour of reverting to the McClaren route as a manager for reasons discussed elsewhere on this board, namely that he seems to have a shelf-life and cant arrest a slide once it has started. But I guess this time it's a different role so will be interesting to see how this pans out. I just hope there's a solid plan because now is not the time for experimentation given the position we are in.

I would not be at all surprised if McClaren's role in the short-term will be on the training ground operating on an interim basis. Whether that is to work as an interim head coach while mentoring Rooney/Rosenior or work with another manager or head coach remains to be seen. But it's clear he club have opted to bring someone in who knows the club from top to bottom and has experience - even if his overall record is somewhat chequered - with the idea of bringing about some stability and a turn-around on the pitch. He has delivered the short-term bounce before so let's hope he will do so again.

Long term? who knows? Will depend upon the master plan the new owners have in store. At least this sends out a strong message that the takeover is very much going ahead or this would not have happened and they certainly would not have installed him in the role already.

But as with all of our other managers he will get my support even if I am feeling slightly underwhelmed.

The more I think about this, and i'm pleased he's back at the club, the more it seems he's going to be holding the hands of a young manager.

So for me it's either Rooney, Terry or Rosenior.

I'd be happy with Rooney or Terry now Mac's back

Liam for me is too Textbook, he talks like he's reading a script. I think he'll be a good coach but I can see him leaving once the new manager is in place.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

I bet the bloke who picks the team is on more dosh. As per my email above/below to Nick, McClaren seems to have been appointed as Technical Director, and not Director of Football. When Chris Evans was last around he had the same title, and would surely have been secondary to McClaren. I think Mac is simply there as ‘old hands’ to support the young coaching team and Manager (Rooney if he grabs a couple of wins in the next 8 days).

I really hope it's not Rooney! It looks like it will be with putting mcclaren in that roll, anyone apart from that useless twit I'd even take Terry or jody morris over Rooney! 

Archived