New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely someone who Is experienced and who knows this league inside and out. 
Chris Hughton would be my choice followed by Eddie Howe, Paul Cook, Nigel Clough or Nigel Adkins. 
Or I’d have Wassell and Bowyer as interim and then go all out next season to offer Sean Dyche or Chris Wilder a humungus pay cheque for accepting the job. 

1 hour ago, Dinnitdough said:

I agree the Rooney effect has worn off and it was a factor for a few games, but Cocu’s posession football and lone forward does not work.

We’re passively maintaining posession without creating chances.
Midfielders are constantly passing the ball backwards to our half, allowing the other team higher up the pitch. 
Keeping the ball is more important than creating chances.

Team mentality might also be a problem, but I think the players are as frustrated as us with this defensive posession craze

The classic: Offense is the best defence should be applied. 

If we’re no threat in the final third, the other teams will keep steamrolling us.

Perfect message that sums up yesterdays performance ,we had 60% persession and got hammered ,i have said it many a time and i will say it again we are not good enough to keep playing tippy tappy football leave that to the likes of Barcelona

We are unfit and lack direction and that falls to one man,both Waghorn and Lawrence finished last season ok now no where to be seen and to top this off we have just signed two players who have not kicked a ball in anger for months and could be 4/5 weeks away before being considered for the 1st team,If we still have Cocu in charge at the 10 game mark we could be in serious trouble although plenty of games left its very difficult to get out of a losing habbit thats why if you look at previous seasons the teams in the bottom three at Xmas are normally the ones that go down if not very close to doing so

Do we wait and see if the tied turns once we have a full fit squad before looking to replace the manager maybe,however in my opinion its not the losing that is a concern its the way we are losing

Just now, ramboy63 said:

Perfect message that sums up yesterdays performance ,we had 60% persession and got hammered ,i have said it many a time and i will say it again we are not good enough to keep playing tippy tappy football leave that to the likes of Barcelona

We are unfit and lack direction and that falls to one man,both Waghorn and Lawrence finished last season ok now no where to be seen and to top this off we have just signed two players who have not kicked a ball in anger for months and could be 4/5 weeks away before being considered for the 1st team,If we still have Cocu in charge at the 10 game mark we could be in serious trouble although plenty of games left its very difficult to get out of a losing habbit thats why if you look at previous seasons the teams in the bottom three at Xmas are normally the ones that go down if not very close to doing so

Do we wait and see if the tied turns once we have a full fit squad before looking to replace the manager maybe,however in my opinion its not the losing that is a concern its the way we are losing

Yes we are now relying on ibe( no games in 12 months) Duncan ( never made a first team appearance) Lawrence and waggers ( consistently derided on here) Bielik (largely unproven at championship level but had 20 games) as the rationale for success. Plus a striker as yet unknown. Based on Cocus patchy recruitment at best would you trust him to spend your money? Kamil looks good but Dutch Mike...

i feel sorry for Mel who has tried his best for Derby 

I think we must take a step back, draw a deep breathe and then take a look at our current situation from a detached non-passionate view point.

So what, our initial optimism (such as it was) as quickly dissipated due too our indifferent start to the season. 

Did we expect to be top of league with our 'current' team only part assembled and missing a number of key players from last season and new signings ?

I think not. 

I think mid to lower league would have been acceptable. (however some clubs have come out quicker of the blocks than us notably Reading and Blackburn. We should however got a draw against Luton. 

So what's changed from last season same manager 'nearly' all the same players when went on that great run and were on the fringe's of the playoffs (remember).

My personal opinion (for what its worth) is that Cocu is trying to evolve the way the team play and this is confusing the players.There seems to be a lack of consistency in team formation and personnel (forced or enforced). This gives the impression does really no his best side ?

The team itself is still evolving as new players come (some already signed have yet to play). 

Going forward these are just some of the  key questions supporters seem to be asking are.

1. How long do we leave things as they are  before change is needed ?  At least 10 to 12 games (if haven't won  one then panic)

2. Is Cocu still the right man for the job?  (he was last year is this a blip, if result don't improve he may well go himself)

3. Does Rooney still warrant a place in team on current form? (No. I think should stick to cameo appearances and coaching)

4. Will results improve with this current team/management? (I think will when everyone is fit and playing(including new signings)

In the this division teams that are organised, play with passion,have a few skillful and hardworking players can go a long way. We have that mix at club and hopefully adding to it. Its molding it in a team who fight and play for each other that we need over to you Mr Cocu.

Keep the faith lads

Remember after the dark clouds there's always a rainbow. 

I would go for Wassall personally.

Given Mel’s remit, he was the obvious choice from the beginning.

He understands the inner workings of the club, he understands the division, he would provide stability, and he would be hungry to show what he can do and prove the doubters wrong.

Compare how the academy sides play to how the first team play, the difference is night and day.

Wassall knows our young players better than anyone - what makes them tick, their strengths and weaknesses, their readiness for the first team, how to utilise them in the best way - and I think most of all, he will encourage a positive and fearless brand of football and in some ways, a back to basics approach.

Do I honestly think he could do any worse than Cocu is currently? I do not.

I wouldn’t say no to Hughton or Howe, but I suspect they would be out of reach at this time.

Paul Cook is a good suggestion and could be a really shrewd appointment. The only question I would have over him is: would he suffer from Jewell / Rowett syndrome and find it difficult for his success to translate when managing a much bigger club?

If this is to continue then it does become only a matter of time.  Hughton or Cook would be my first choices, although I am surprised the former has gone a year now without a job.

Howe would be a no go. It really does sound like he has a tendency to fall out with players, which is not what we need right now.

Mac 3 is far from the top of my list, but if Simpson and Steele were to also return the. I could get on board...or even just Simpson and Steele with a new third member

38 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Paul Cook is a good suggestion and could be a really shrewd appointment. The only question I would have over him is: would he suffer from Jewell / Rowett syndrome and find it difficult for his success to translate when managing a much bigger club?

I think he'd do better than Cocu with this group. He plays attacking, entertaining football and knows how to get a team running through walls for each other. It would be a good fit for us and the right step in his managerial career too.

3 hours ago, GrimsbyRam said:

How many more does he have to lose before you get to that point, just out of interest?

I go back to Sir Alex , everyone calling for his head. Man Utd kept faith in him and look how ghat turned out. Sacking managers left right and centre gets you into all the sorts of problems that we have just about sorted out after three or four years. 

Archived