Time for Stretton?

rammieib

55 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Get Sibley on the pitch. Push entire team up 10 yards. Shoot more often. Stop over-passing, get forward in greater numbers as a unit. All things Wazza (& Mac} will be working on. 

Interested to understand how you have a personal insight into Maclaren's involvement in the club that others do not 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Come on Ella, you still can’t think Mac is overly involved in selection, tactics, training, etc., can you? My guess is that Rooney doesn’t particularly rate him.

Wazza gets Mac a coffee every morning AND a Dutch or Danish of Mac’s choice and they sit in Wazza’s office using coffee cups and staple guns to plan formations ACTUALLY ?

Play 2 upfront. 3 behind CKR is not working. Play a 442 diamond, two wingers a holding midfielder and a attacking midfielder, upfront have CKR and Stretton or Waggy with him. Let’s not carry on doing what we are doing, it doesn’t work, we are not scoring goals. 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Not true actually. We saw at least 3 examples yesterday that could’ve resulted in goals:

1. Beat the keeper after a brilliant piece of work by Bucannan {some only scored him a 6!} only for a brilliant clearance by a despairing, diving defender.

2. Released Whitaker with a defence-splitting lobbed pass only for Whittaker to shoot weakly.

3. Headed down for Knight in the box but Knight too slow to get his shot off.

Kazim is doing a great job. We need to push as a team 15 yards further up and support Kazim better. Too early to ditch the plan. It’s working but will bear fruit soon. Plan-do-review not Plan-do-ditch. 

1) He did score a 1 on 1. (But wasn’t a bad effort)

2) Decent play granted, but Whittaker took it away from goal.

3) Don’t actually remember this.

But either way - it’s not producing goals and generally not creation enough with the tactics so he needs another forward offensive option if we’re going into games hoping for a 1-0.

Radio Derby keep suggesting we’re going to hammer someone soon - sorry to let you into the club fellas but no we are not. We haven’t created three GOOD chances in any game all season. 

It’s a tough one really. Kazim has obviously been very effective up top, particularly in terms of creating chances for his team mates, but his age remains an issue. You can’t be relying on a 34 year old to be your main striker imo, especially given how tight the fixture schedule is this season. It’s not the role he was brought in for - he was signed to be emergency cover for another new, first choice, striker. He’s only had to play so much because our recruitment team is incompetent and didn’t sign anyone else.

For what it’s worth, he’s done a much better job so far than most of us were expecting. Fair play for that, he’s establishing himself as something of a cult hero. But, sooner or later, he’s going to run out of steam. We already saw signs of that against Millwall. And then what do we do? He’s literally our only senior striker! Quite how we’ve got to this point I don’t know. Stretton is obviously the academy striker closest to the first team, but he’s still entirely unproven. It would be a big gamble to throw him in without knowing how good he is at this level. And yet, it’s a risk we’re probably going to have to take at some point over the festive period.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the reason we’re not scoring goals at the moment is down to individuals. I think it’s tactical, and that won’t change until we get a new permanent manager in.

The best cross of the game after 5 minutes was a great right footed delivery from Lawrence wide right.

perfect for kazim-Richards but he hardly made contact.

24 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Wazza gets Mac a coffee every morning AND a Dutch or Danish of Mac’s choice and they sit in Wazza’s office using coffee cups and staple guns to plan formations ACTUALLY ?

I suspect it is more likely that Mac eats his sandwiches alone out on the Moor Farm training pitches, cutting a lonely figure as he watches the young’uns do their thing.

I think it was quite revealing, based on your own summary yesterday that Rooney made no mention of Mac in his Times article. As I have posted previously Rooney’s experience of Mac will be limited to his time when he was mismanaging England. Couldn’t get a squad of good quality players to the Euros. Tried to make an example of Beckham, but was soon on his knees wanting him back in the fold. Only Championship finals Rooney missed during his period at the top of his game.

16 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I suspect it is more likely that Mac eats his sandwiches alone out on the Moor Farm training pitches, cutting a lonely figure as he watches the young’uns do their thing.

I think it was quite revealing, based on your own summary yesterday that Rooney made no mention of Mac in his Times article. As I have posted previously Rooney’s experience of Mac will be limited to his time when he was mismanaging England. Couldn’t get a squad of good quality players to the Euros. Tried to make an example of Beckham, but was soon on his knees wanting him back in the fold. Only Championship finals Rooney missed during his period at the top of his game.

Blah! Blah Blah!...atom bomb..atom ? 

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Funny how we all see it differently isnt it watching same match. Thought he was our only really creative threat! 

He was our main creative threat. He is our quickest player and our best dribbler but...he has to get his head up earlier and pick out players.

Specifically he delayed a pass to Bird who was closed down bt the time the ball came, shot in the second half when he should have crossed to Waghorn and twice in the last 2 games he got to the byline and over hit the cross. Though yesterday it resulted in a shout for a penalty.

Beating a player doesn't mean anything if it doesn't result in an attempt on goal.

12 hours ago, rammieib said:

As much as we like CKR for his passion and desire, strength and so on, it’s clear that the quality isn’t there playing him as a lone striker nor is the quality around him with this style of play.

I think it’s time we did either of these two things:

1) Give Stretton a go up there. Someone who, based on under 23’s, could be more clinical and more likely to have shots on goal. We may lose some of that physical presence but what good is carrying on with the same approach if it isn’t yielding goals. The definition of insanity is ....

2) We’ve got to sacrifice one of the holding midfielders. We know Knight has an engine in there and his ability to get up and down the pitch is vital but we’re one attacking player short right now. This makes it easier for the opposition to defend, especially when they play two holding mids. Bielik to Bird/Shinnie and back again. With one holding mid, it cries out for more offensive play.

Its frustrating watching us thinking it’s not When but if we score, whilst full well knowing if we concede we won’t win the game.

I think when shinnie plays were more of a 1 holding with two box to box mids, when bird plays we become two. I feel sorry for bird but I think he’s going to have to be sacrificed. I’d have gone with sibley for the previous game. But hey Rooney has us hard to beat or score against, we dominated abs created chances against Stoke we just need a proper striker in my opinion and I’d love for Stretton to come in.
The only thing is if he does he is leading the line and he will be lambasted if he doesn’t score. Much easier to bring him in to the team when we start winning a few. 

Archived