Who will go?

Anag Ram

1 hour ago, enachops said:

Bird put poor corners in vs Huddersfield, let’s not judge his delivery on one game. He’s had much more of an influence than Evans has had in a Derby shirt. By far a better player and has potential to go much higher than Evans ever will. Although he has been poor this year so far! 

He always seems to be taking them from the wrong side for me. We always seem to be delivering out-swingers why? I’m a goalkeeper and I love to see an out-swinger line up, it means my job is done, there is no pressure on me and if they win the header I’ve got a pretty good chance of saving or claiming it as it’ll be about 8-10 yards out. It’s also harder for them to score it as they have to redirect it towards goal and it’s easier to read the direction of a header. 
Now when they in-swing  it’s different everyone’s looking at me to come an collect or punch, if I don’t the defenders have to, if no one claims it’s a goal. 
Just put it in with pace and movement towards goal and have players running across the defenders and keeper. You’ll score lots more that way. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Rev said:

Evans was £200k, wasn't he?

Certainly nowhere near a million.

That's what I thought, had a look at some articles and the only mention of a fee is Sky with a fee of a round £1m. However he was close to joining Sunderland before Lampard swooped in and there is no way they would spend £1m on him when they are in league 1.

On 15/12/2020 at 17:47, Spanish said:

Do think boe inflation is the same as footballer player inflation?  I doubt it given supply and demand is a much greater lever not to mention the available  resources now compared to then.  

No, I think the football world is an artificially generated one.  I stand corrected, but perhaps in the context of the PL.

The extent of spiralling inflation in football’s transfer market (verdict.co.uk)

Inflation has increased prices by approximately 168% in the last three decades. One pound in 1990 is worth £2.37 in 2018. In the world of football, that same £1 would be worth £40 now.

According to The Times, football transfer fees in the Premier League have increased 40-fold since 1990.

@SpanishI think you're right about supply & demand (an entertainment industry), however, it also reflects the same disparity that exists between employees & executives who can earn 100x what their employee earns. There is a lack of a salary cap between elite clubs/elite leagues in Europe, and they are the drivers of an  over-inflated market. There seems to be something wrong when Man City & PSG can avoid major sanctions but clubs lower down the pyramid can be relegated for financial reasons, i.e. not abiding by FFP.

I also think the artificial nature of the fees has been driven by the satellite companies, like Murdoch's Sky when he ran it, who overpaid to ensure that their 'product' remained the market leader, allowing sides to sign the best players available in Europe (available resources). It explains how the PL has become more competitive over the years with even the mid-ranking sides/lower half spending relatively big.

@Tyler Durden

I disagree with you as the above refers to the PL. The EFL/Championship has tended to be much more circumspect with regards to transfer fees, it is only in recent years that it has begun to follow the PL's lead by paying ridiculously inflated fees, i.e. £15m for Assombalonga.  I agree about football inflation being different from RPI, but less so in the context of lower down the football pyramid.

Archived