Who will go?

Anag Ram

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Dave Mackay? Best years behind him, just wants to go to manage Hearts. No thank you.

Igor Stimac? Plays his football for Hadjuk Split, where is that anyway?

Roy McFarland? Tranmere - no thank you.

Paul McGrath? Knees gone, obviously not interested in the game any more, why would he want to come here?

Nigel Callaghan? Unfit and overweight, finished at Watford. Nothing to bring here.

Garry Micklewhite? Unfit and overweight, finished at QPR. Nothing to bring here.

Gordon Cowans? Unfit and overweight, finished at Villa. Nothing to bring here.

Paul Peschisolido? Unfit and overweight, finished at Sheff Utd. Nothing to bring here.

Hey, I've got an idea - let him kick a ball before writing him off.

Hey, I've got an idea - let's compare 24 year olds with 24 year olds, rather than players who already made it to the top and were just knocking on a bit.

Jesus christ. I'm not writing him off, OK? Calm your sensitive little soul about it. I'm just venturing an opinion on how I see it. It's not a solid prediction, or a desired outcome.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the money being tight and certain players not fitting in, why don't the club do a swap/cash. Jack Marriott is the round peg in the square hole, not suited to our style, possibly not suited for Championship football. Why don't we offer him to Hibernian in a swap deal, I like their Kevin Nisbet and I think Marriott would thrive in the Scottish Premier League (Nothing to lose on this deal).

MTW is not up to pace with Championship football, I think we should let him go. That would be one off the payroll, plus he did'nt cost us anything in the transfer.

It looks like our priorty is going to be a striker and if one comes in, I think either Hector-Ingram, Whittaker or Stretton would be sent out on loan to get more game time. Evans could also move on being down the pecking order, would be nice to get a fee for him.

8 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Sigh.

I'm just making the point that the signs for his career aren't good. He turned up here unfit and overweight, and having hardly set Bournemouth alight despite costing £15m. Whilst there it seems his attitude and consistency were questioned too, which is never good.

The reference to Greece and Cyprus was just because they are the type of places where careers go to die.

Or the place where Forest grow there next batch of players like rhubarb.

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

At the moment, I’m not sure anyone will go. We don’t have many options in the squad at present, so if we can’t bring anyone else in, we will need all the body’s we can get. With the takeover looking ever more doubtful, I’d be surprised if there are any January incomings.

Whittaker on loan to a Burton/Peterborough.

Thatll be it.

13 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Bournemouth's record signing,  still only 24 and they released him on a free. There's got to be a good reason for that.

I thought he and Howe fell out - Howe was still there when his contract expired I think. He must be doing better in training or he would not have been on the bench recently and brought on last week

Personally I'd be looking to sell Lawrence and have a serious think if Ibe is really up to it. I'd be reluctant to be selling off the youngsters just yet to create capital for spending because we're in a weak position. As a result, we'd be unable to command a high fee for our players and likely pay over the odds for any incomers. We're not going up this year and in our desperation to avoid the drop it would be too easy to sanction deals that bring in money quickly but knacker the long term prospects for the club. 

Top 6 is completely off the cards and we only need to be slightly better than we have been so far to avoid the drop. The last thing we should do is panic by having a high turnover of players - I think we're only 2 players short of where we need to be (CB and CF). Given our financial situation, loans make the most sense. It also means that we don't have to sell anyone to raise funds for any incoming).

We have good options at GK (Marshall, Roos), RB (Byrne, Wisdom), LB (Buchanan, Forsyth), CM (Bielik, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Shinnie, Holmes), and the wings (Jozwiak, Lawrence, Whittaker, Ibe, Waghorn).

With Davies being out injured and te Wierik out of the picture a CB is a must. Wisdom will need to fill in at RB from time to time leaving Evans as the only other CB to partner Clarke. Ideally, this should be a standout starter with a view to joining permanently in the summer due to us currently being down to just Evans for next season (assuming te Wierik leaves).

We have good depth at CF (Kazim, Waghorn, Marriott, Stretton and Trialist) but none are standout starters. I think this signing requires us to offload Marriott at the very least, with Trialist going out on loan as well.

I'm sure a couple others may go out on loan as well.

In: CB, CF
Out: te Wierik, Marriott, Trialist

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Top 6 is completely off the cards and we only need to be slightly better than we have been so far to avoid the drop. The last thing we should do is panic by having a high turnover of players - I think we're only 2 players short of where we need to be (CB and CF). Given our financial situation, loans make the most sense. It also means that we don't have to sell anyone to raise funds for any incoming).

We have good options at GK (Marshall, Roos), RB (Byrne, Wisdom), LB (Buchanan, Forsyth), CM (Bielik, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Shinnie, Holmes), and the wings (Jozwiak, Lawrence, Whittaker, Ibe, Waghorn).

With Davies being out injured and te Wierik out of the picture a CB is a must. Wisdom will need to fill in at RB from time to time leaving Evans as the only other CB to partner Clarke. Ideally, this should be a standout starter with a view to joining permanently in the summer due to us currently being down to just Evans for next season (assuming te Wierik leaves).

We have good depth at CF (Kazim, Waghorn, Marriott, Stretton and Trialist) but none are standout starters. I think this signing requires us to offload Marriott at the very least, with Trialist going out on loan as well.

Don't you think it may be difficult to offload injured Marriott.  I agree he should go but finding a new home apart from Battersea?

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Agreed. CB and CF are the areas we should be looking to strengthen.

If there's money available, which I very much doubt, I'd also like to have proper RW in so Jozwiak could play on the left. Rest of the wing options are decent, but I think we could do with better one there. Ibe was worth a gamble but seems like it hasn't worked out.

Hope so, still think there is a remote chance he could recover some of that initial form.  Even after he has recovered he needs game time so play well and we keep him, play badly or not play we may be stuck with him or at least a good proportion of his wages

Te Wierik should be allowed to leave. In fairness, he's moved to a new country/team during a pandemic, so not entirely sure what his domestic arrangements are (family still  back in Holland?) & that may have affected things. He was a mainstay at a club and now has become a peripheral figure. A loan to an Eredivisie team, maybe back to Groningen, could be the best outcome.

I'd like to see Evans go, he was part of a Reading side that reached a play-off final & then collapsed spectacularly under Stam the next season. Is he a midfielder? is he a defender? He just doesn't seem to offer very much. 

I'd like Marriott to stay unless we do a trade/player exchange, like for like in terms of his position. 

I disagree with the  suggestion we off-load Shinnie, he's the sort of player we need in to cope with the physical nature of this division.

I hope we can bring in at least two strikers, probably loans, in January, so giving us options and not placing the burden solely on one individual. We are continually being linked with Keinan Davis (Aston Villa). I wonder if it might be possible to bring in Glenn Murray if Brighton cancel his loan at Watford, though he appears to be on the wane. Murray's experience, as well as CKR's, could also benefit Davis.

Archived