v Swansea (H) - Match Thread

Bubbles

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me the midfield balance is wrong. Bielik holds, Knight with his engine gets up and down and then there's one place for a more attacking creative midfielder to link everything together and create chances in the number 10 role. That's surely the place for Sibley. We don't score goals because we play two defensive midfielders and never pick our most creative midfielder.

Knight is so super fit he can be part of a defensive midfield two when needed but an attacking midfielder when needed too. He's great at carrying the ball out of defence and has an eye for goal. If that's too much work for one player, then with 5 subs we have him do it for 60 minutes and then Shinnie or Bird for 30 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Dutch mike may well have a future here but we have Evans and Forsyth and MacDonald did ok to be defenders if needed, would you want more defenders on the bench? 

For balance reasons I'd perhaps him on their over MacDonald but it's less that and more he's not on the bench or in the u23s.

3 minutes ago, Rampant said:

I know Dutch Mike came on a free but in terms of impact he's been another Albentosa and Otto Bragstad.

I wasn't commenting on his quality really just more observing the state of things.

Although I do stand by that 4 games isn't a fair shot.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

For me the midfield balance is wrong. Bielik holds, Knight with his engine gets up and down and then there's one place for a more attacking creative midfielder to link everything together and create chances in the number 10 role. For me that's the place for Sibley. We don't score goals because we play two defensive midfielders and never pick our most creative midfielder.

Knight is so super fit he can be part of a defensive midfield two when needed but an attacking midfielder when needed too. He's great at carrying the ball out of defence and has an eye for goal. If that's too much work for one player, then with 5 subs we have him do it for 60 minutes and then Shinnie or Bird for 30 minutes.

I still feel like I'm going crazy with how obvious it feels to try knight and Sibley together in a true 3 man midfield. Especially if Bielik is fit to play in a 3 man midfield.

It's just nuts that despite barely scoring all season we still persist with plugging away with a 4231 without a recognisable 10.

13 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

As an aside with him not on the bench or appearing for the U23s I'd say it's nailed on Te Wierik is gone.

Maybe his sale (back to Netherlands ?) at Christmas can pay for an incoming loan fee at least. He's too experienced not to be playing first time football - was a captain at the top level of Dutch football last season. Was clearly Cocu's signing. He's got to want to start again somewhere. 

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

For me the midfield balance is wrong. Bielik holds, Knight with his engine gets up and down and then there's one place for a more attacking creative midfielder to link everything together and create chances in the number 10 role. For me that's the place for Sibley. We don't score goals because we play two defensive midfielders and never pick our most creative midfielder.

Would guess Shinnie is in there for some experience, Sibley also played for the U23's this week. Sibley and Knight should be the midfield going forward though, that's the future and I'm excited to see it. 

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Also they do not score goals because of poor finishing 

2 minutes ago, Xlor said:

6 defenders, 1 midfielder, 3 attackers. Toss

Think you need to check the team sheet again... Looks like 4 defenders, 3 central midfielders (2 of which are kind of defensive), 2 wide attackers and 1 centre forward. Not sure where the Toss is, you aren't on it... ? 

10 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I would like to see sibley playing more as well and I remind myself that I said at the beginning of the season I believed sibley and knight would be job sharing this season but knight has been so good he has been in the team more with whoever is manager playing a mixture of Belick Rooney Shinnie and bird with him. Sibley time will come I am sure because he shoots at goal !

My main concern is lack of attacking options on the bench. JHI played a full 90 minutes on Monday. Stretton and Sibley also played the first 45 minutes. Ibe played 45 minutes but hasn't made the selection. Lawrence injured. Whittaker dropped completely after the weekend performance.

Would've thought that players like Kaide Gordon (been training with 1st team apparently) or Josh Shonibare (wasn't with the U23 team on Monday) might've been good options on the bench to give us one or two more options if needed.

Just now, roboto said:

My main concern is lack of attacking options on the bench. JHI played a full 90 minutes on Monday. Stretton and Sibley also played the first 45 minutes. Ibe played 45 minutes but hasn't made the selection. Lawrence injured. Whittaker dropped completely after the weekend performance.

Would've thought that players like Kaide Gordon (been training with 1st team apparently) or Josh Shonibare (wasn't with the U23 team on Monday) might've been good options on the bench to give us one or two more options if needed.

What about Duncan. Not ready still?

Archived