v Swansea (H) - Match Thread

Bubbles

11 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Our play has been pedestrian all season so can concur with what you're putting across, am not advocating launching the ball upfield at every available opportunity but we desperately need to show some urgency in our play rather then bossing the possession stats but not doing anything with it. 

Yeah I think that’s the point with the consistency debate, if we were drawing but coming out of games saying ‘we should have won that by 2,3,4’ or the cliches of ‘very soon we are going to really spank someone’ then I’d be more confident about our position . But we’ve come out of the Stoke game essentially saying ‘could have had a penalty’ which is a 50/50 chance of scoring then I’m not sure thats a good sign

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A draw against Swansea would be a pleasing result, they look a very good side

I think, psychologically, the players have to take every game in isolation, forget their position in the table or the pressure will be outrageous 

In isolation, a draw at Swansea is good 

36 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

Again would try playing two up front as current formation not producing goals.

Marshall

Byrne    Wisdom    Clarke   Buchanan

Jozwiak   Bielik   Shinnie    Waghorn

CKR       Hector-Ingram

JHI played a full 90 last night for the U23s so is unlikely to be involved with the first team squad tomorrow.

Stretton got 45 minutes, as did Sibley and Ibe. We will likely see a couple of those on the bench tomorrow. Bobby Duncan still not getting minutes for the U23s.

I don't think we'll be seeing 2 up front any time soon.

57 minutes ago, Jram said:

A draw against Swansea would be a pleasing result, they look a very good side

I think, psychologically, the players have to take every game in isolation, forget their position in the table or the pressure will be outrageous 

In isolation, a draw at Swansea is good 

It's not in isolation though is it? If we keep drawing then have the odd loss that =relegation. Not saying we have to win tonight but being happy with a draw is ridiculous no matter who we are playing. We draw then loose to Rotherham and we are in deep poo, you can't pick and choose where wins come from every game we need to win until we are about 5 points clear of the bottom 3.

Same with any opposition in this league. 

You have to be vigilant and resolute in defence, pass the ball well and take your chances. 

Swansea won't make it easy, that's for sure but similarly they won't see Derby as easy opposition. 

I'd like to see Derby be a bit braver in getting people in the box and would encourage quicker crosses. We seem to get to the byline then pass back to someone before the cross goes in. This allows defenders to set themselves. 

Much better to cross whilst the defence is still running towards its own net. 

I remember watching Swansea at home in 19-20 and they looked miles away from the genuine top six side they are now. They looked so poor. They were there for the taking. Amazing evolution by Cooper.

Would a draw be good for us? Well, not really. We have dropped six points at home in the last three games, so we have to claw those back at some stage by picking up results against the grain, a la Rotherham beating Bristol City.

A point only looks good if you are winning or getting good results in the games one would describe as our bread and butter. It’s amazing that we’ve played Wycombe, Coventry, Barnsley and QPR at home and Luton and Huddersfield away and have two points to show for it.

Is this a decisive game for Rooney? Well, not really. I don’t think he’ll be taken to task on his results against clearly superior sides. But a positive result would definitely swing the pendulum in his favour.

But for me, it all comes down to that Rotherham game and seeing how the team have evolved since Wycombe and Coventry at home.

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Could this be the game where we score more than 2 goals? Or even score at all. Clean sheets are no good at home if you're not troubling the opposition.

Judging by the players we had on for the U23s the answer is almost certainly not. Looks like it will be mostly the same super defensive team again with as little creativity as possible.

40 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

It's not in isolation though is it? If we keep drawing then have the odd loss that =relegation. Not saying we have to win tonight but being happy with a draw is ridiculous no matter who we are playing. We draw then loose to Rotherham and we are in deep poo, you can't pick and choose where wins come from every game we need to win until we are about 5 points clear of the bottom 3.

Thats ok, but what about tomorrow night?

21 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Judging by the players we had on for the U23s the answer is almost certainly not. Looks like it will be mostly the same super defensive team again with as little creativity as possible.

Thats ok, but what about tomorrow night?

I meant tomorrow, as long as we win some night that would be good. Not won a night game this season. 

2 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I meant tomorrow, as long as we win some night that would be good. Not won a night game this season. 

We haven't won a home game all season either, but I don't think that is going to change tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, GenBr said:

We haven't won a home game all season either, but I don't think that is going to change tomorrow.

Why not? They ain't great nor are we, it's the championship everyone is average on the whole apart from maybe Wycombe and there's fine margins between every team. Wolves a few years ago and Newcastle are probably the exceptions in recent years. We can win, not that likely but there's a solid chance when every game we play at the minute is close. 

3 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Why not? They ain't great nor are we, it's the championship everyone is average on the whole apart from maybe Wycombe and there's fine margins between every team. Wolves a few years ago and Newcastle are probably the exceptions in recent years. We can win, not that likely but there's a solid chance when every game we play at the minute is close. 

Swansea are third in the league and play much better than we ever have done this season with more quality throughout their squad - we aren't on equal terms at all. Our only tactic is play super defensive and nullify the opposition attack. There is a good chance we can do that, but at the same time it cripples our attack. If they score even once it is game over.

2 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I obviously want to win every game, I’m not suggesting they go out and try to draw. I’m saying that a draw against a team with a better squad and better form than us is a good result, regardless of where we sit in the table 

8 minutes ago, Jram said:

I obviously want to win every game, I’m not suggesting they go out and try to draw. I’m saying that a draw against a team with a better squad and better form than us is a good result, regardless of where we sit in the table 

We need 4 points from every 3 games to get a 50 point finish 

3 minutes ago, Rampage said:

We need 4 points from every 3 games to get a 50 point finish 

Huddersfield in 14th place with 24 points are the team with 4 points from every 3 games so far. All things being equal we need to be the 14th best in the league from now till end of the season to stay up if 50 points are required.

21 minutes ago, Jram said:

I get that but I'm not sure if its. If we had beaten Stoke then yes, but as we are 3rd bottom with a frankly pitiful amount of points and wins we need to win really. Not a must win but it is an important game just like every game in our situation. 

The issue we have is that we should have been going all out to win the home games against the poorer opposition such as Wycombe and Coventry then a point at home against the better teams would seem like a good result. 

As we didn't then playing a brand of zero risk football and continually drawing games will still see us relegated so at some point Rooney or whoever the new incumbent is needs to start looking to win games rather then avoid defeat otherwise we very possibly could go unbeaten until the end of the season but still be relegated if we draw every game.

I'm not panicking yet but the current status quo is it is mutually exclusive that we can stop the opposition from scoring without us troubling them either which is no good to man or beast. 

5 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Besides, the thought of ‘adding pressure’ was fine for you earlier in the season under Cocu weren’t it? Bit double standards to complain about others adding pressure!

Lol! I'm not complaining about added pressure - you're the one going on about there doesn't seem to be enough pressure on the team/club! I've said more than once we're improving and there's lots of games left to go. Rooney et al are aware we're in a bottom of the table 'battle'.

So what on earth are you whining on about? Cocu got us into this mess, get over him! ?

The way things are, a point against Swansea would go down as a decent result. Sad to say - and it shouldn’t be like this - but they are better than us. Couple this with our complete inability to score and you and you to the startling conclusion that we probably aren’t going to win.

However, I’m still convinced we have the players to be a top 10 (or higher) side and what I’ve seen so far is just beyond comprehension. So, just as I’ve said for a long time, tomorrow could be the turning point when the players all turn up, Wayne works out a masterplan for getting them to play with more confidence and positivity and we show the real DCFC. If we do that, we might just scrape it.

Archived