Ian Evatt

Carl Sagan

• 2 months later...

Keeping a close eye on Ian Evatt...his Bolton side have won 6 & drawn 1 of the their last 7 and are now firmly in the playoff hunt in League Two. Taken along with the magnificent job he did with Barrow (taking them from bottom 6 in Conference to promotion to EFL), this is a seriously impressive start to his managerial career.

Oh & he's clearly a Derby fan and hopes to return one day;

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/02/ramstv-meets-ian-evatt

20210306_191034.thumb.jpg.a3fff35b82dc4d73e909e1e8bd240f24.jpg

53 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Keeping a close eye on Ian Evatt...his Bolton side have won 6 & drawn 1 of the their last 7 and are now firmly in the playoff hunt in League Two. Taken along with the magnificent job he did with Barrow (taking them from bottom 6 in Conference to promotion to EFL), this is a seriously impressive start to his managerial career.

Oh & he's clearly a Derby fan and hopes to return one day;

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/02/ramstv-meets-ian-evatt

I missed this interview at the time, so thanks for posting it here. I like the way Evatt speaks about the game. I read a lot of the interviews he did when he was at Barrow and I loved the way he insisted on stamping his mark on the team despite everyone telling him that it couldn't be done like that in the 5th tier. With their resources there's no way Barrow should've been in the top half of the table, never mind walking the division. I was a bit disappointed that he left for Bolton, but I like that he didn't sugarcoat the answer to why in this interview.

4 minutes ago, Anon said:

I missed this interview at the time, so thanks for posting it here. I like the way Evatt speaks about the game. I read a lot of the interviews he did when he was at Barrow and I loved the way he insisted on stamping his mark on the team despite everyone telling him that it couldn't be done like that in the 5th tier. With their resources there's no way Barrow should've been in the top half of the table, never mind walking the division. I was a bit disappointed that he left for Bolton, but I like that he didn't sugarcoat the answer to why in this interview.

Yeah I was surprised he left Barrow before managing them in the Football League but he makes a fair point about Bolton giving him a platform to move up 2 divisions without him having to move again. As you rightly say, getting Barrow up (small club by Conference standards) was an immense achievement in itself. Also no shame in being ambitious.

I've not seen his teams play but I'm given to believe they are expansive & attacking. He mentions how influenced he was by the Ian Holloway Blackpool team that got to the Prem...they were a cracking watch. 

Edited by LeedsCityRam

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, sage said:

Chris Wilder wouldn't come to us. Evatt would.

I agree, but when you see "some" of the players fans want us to sign and manager names that get thrown around when a vacancy is here, it's clear we have "some" fans that are not fully aware of the status of the club right now.

I mean we had a Rooney or Wilder topic the next day in the main forum which, well, no comment.

13 hours ago, sage said:

Great interview. I'm not in the Rooney Out camp but if and when he does go, I'd be very happy with Evatt.  

Off-topic I know, I've not been on here too much recently but there can't really be a 'Rooney Out Camp' already can there?  He's been in the job for five minutes. Surely people wouldn't be so dense as to be calling for his head?  (I imagine I would find out if I looked at the main forum, but sometimes I just can't bring myself to do so when we've been average/bad... the nonsense gets so strong and I've taken a vow of not arguing with people on the internet.... it has certainly had a big impact on my post count!)

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

Off-topic I know, I've not been on here too much recently but there can't really be a 'Rooney Out Camp' already can there?  He's been in the job for five minutes. Surely people wouldn't be so dense as to be calling for his head?  (I imagine I would find out if I looked at the main forum, but sometimes I just can't bring myself to do so when we've been average/bad... the nonsense gets so strong and I've taken a vow of not arguing with people on the internet.... it has certainly had a big impact on my post count!)

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

There was a thread started at half time the other night. It looked a bit silly by full time.

6 hours ago, David said:

Everyone wanting Chris Wilder and we go with Ian Evatt, could see some serious tantrums.

Maybe so but shouldn't be regarded as a factor in any managerial appointment. Those types tend to change their mind from game to game anyway. On the basis that our last 3 managers have all been highly capped ex-international midfielders, does that mean we should appoint David Platt next? 

As a club we need to focus on players & managers on the way up instead of 'names' past their best/looking for a big payday/happy to operate in the second tier. Some of the most notable members of the 1971/72 title winning club (players & manager) were plying their trade in Division Four in 1966 for example.

If Ian Evatt continues his great start at Bolton & gets them back into League One, I'd be hard pressed to think of many better up & coming candidates for a future managerial appointment - even ignoring his Derby connections.

18 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

It looked a bit silly at half time too! 

No it didn't actually and if Rooney hadn't have changed it at half time and we'd have lost, the post would have been even more relevant at full time. 

But don't tell me, you had every faith we'd come back fighting in that second half when the HT whistle blew. I don't think any Derby supporters saw that coming but when you play attacking players, that's what happens. 

Why don't we wait and see if he's learned his lesson with the team selection tomorrow? 

6 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

No it didn't actually and if Rooney hadn't have changed it at half time and we'd have lost, the post would have been even more relevant at full time. 

But don't tell me, you had every faith we'd come back fighting in that second half when the HT whistle blew. I don't think any Derby supporters saw that coming but when you play attacking players, that's what happens. 

Why don't we wait and see if he's learned his lesson with the team selection tomorrow? 

It's ridiculous. 3 points and 3 goals in 6 games, but Rooney is a genius because of some hail Mary substitutions, most notably the one player the fans have been begging him to play for more than 10 minutes at a time for weeks. The cult of Rooney is a joke.