Times Rooney article

Gringo

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gisby said:

I agree with much of what has already been said in this thread. For me I initially didn’t like the way he appeared to undermine Cocu towards the end of his tenure and the inevitable then followed, perhaps I was wrong and this was just how the media wanted to portray it but there’s no smoke without fire so I imagine there was an element of truth in there somewhere. That said I am pleasantly surprised (and impressed) with how he has conducted himself & gone about his business since he took sole charge. The team selections have made sense, the substitutions too and in general the team appears much more organised, together & back on an even keel. He appears calm & collected in the technical area and I’m starting to enjoy his interviews. He has something of a glint in his eye during them and he’s showing himself not to be the daft lad the press would have us believe. As for dedication and 12 hour working days then he’s clearly up for the challenge and as has already been said he’s been in the spotlight since he was 16, he knows the game inside out, knows what is required to play at the highest level, maintain such standards season after season, deal with the media attention and all the cr*p that goes with it and he’s still here .... wanting more, wanting to learn, to take the next step in his career, he could have retired and put his feet up or just become a pundit but no he wants to be a manager with all the time, effort and commitment that management demands. He deserves credit for this. At the moment he’s OUR (temporary) manager, he’s the manager of DCFC and if things continue as they are then more & more he will deserve our support and our respect. 

If it was undermining for undermining’s sake then that would be quite sinister BUT if there were fundamentally flawed issues stemming from Cocu’s modus operandi then how can you stand by and not intervene if professionally you KNOW things are not right. It now seems quite understood that the intensity of fitness training under the previous regime was not “fit for purpose” {no pun intended}. That fact leaked out from various sources {cf Max Lowe} so clearly it was a widespread concern amongst Rd some players at least. Many supported Cocu on reputation alone. I never judge on hyperbole and reputation - I look for the underlying evidence and under Rooney I see lots of green shoots. I didn’t see too many under the Dutch man. 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

If it was undermining for undermining’s sake then that would be quite sinister BUT if there were fundamentally flawed issues stemming from Cocu’s modus operandi then how can you stand by and not intervene if professionally you KNOW things are not right. It now seems quite understood that the intensity of fitness training under the previous regime was not “fit for purpose” {no pun intended}. That fact leaked out from various sources {cf Max Lowe} so clearly it was a widespread concern amongst Rd some players at least. Many supported Cocu on reputation alone. I never judge on hyperbole and reputation - I look for the underlying evidence and under Rooney I see lots of green shoots. I didn’t see too many under the Dutch man. 

? fair comment

12 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

Hang on a minute. Lots of people were absolutely slating him not so long ago for fear that he’d get the job. 
Have they now conceded that he may well be the right man for the job?

Maybe folks have got a bit more realistic as to who else might be a serious candidate;  for a job at a club in the championship relegation zone with no guarantee of being able to significantly strengthen the squad.  Seems to me the job is Rooney's and probably has been for some time.

7 minutes ago, europia said:

Maybe folks have got a bit more realistic as to who else might be a serious candidate;  for a job at a club in the championship relegation zone with no guarantee of being able to significantly strengthen the squad.  Seems to me the job is Rooney's and probably has been for some time.

Out of the various fantastical names mentioned so far, Allardyce would probably do it for the cash and Paul Cook because it's a job..... 

Archived