Times Rooney article

Gringo

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Hang on a minute. Lots of people were absolutely slating him not so long ago for fear that he’d get the job. 
Have they now conceded that he may well be the right man for the job?

Not necessarily. He's manager of Derby County (for the time being at least). Surely we all want him to be successful regardless of any opinion we might have of the man.

17 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

To be fair to the many naysayers, their opinions were based a lot on team performance while the “coalition of coaches” were in charge.

Although that may be the case, my personal issue wasn't with the performances under the coalition. I've never been a fan of making judgements on individual coaches when they're not the 'main man'.

My main gripe was that we were considering hiring someone who had never been able to demonstrate whether he was any good as a manager or not. Hence, my attitude was one of caution, as it would have been if it had been John Terry, Liam Rosenior, etc.

Of course, the longer he has in his current role, the more we'll learn about his managerial ability. I think we're in an awkward 'in between' stage now, where he's demonstrated enough promise to make bringing in an experienced replacement seem harsh, but we haven't seen enough to change the fact that it's still a big gamble to continue with a rookie in our precarious situation.

22 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Hang on a minute. Lots of people were absolutely slating him not so long ago for fear that he’d get the job. 
Have they now conceded that he may well be the right man for the job?

If there is one constant in the universe it’s that football fans are fickle.

I agree with much of what has already been said in this thread. For me I initially didn’t like the way he appeared to undermine Cocu towards the end of his tenure and the inevitable then followed, perhaps I was wrong and this was just how the media wanted to portray it but there’s no smoke without fire so I imagine there was an element of truth in there somewhere. That said I am pleasantly surprised (and impressed) with how he has conducted himself & gone about his business since he took sole charge. The team selections have made sense, the substitutions too and in general the team appears much more organised, together & back on an even keel. He appears calm & collected in the technical area and I’m starting to enjoy his interviews. He has something of a glint in his eye during them and he’s showing himself not to be the daft lad the press would have us believe. As for dedication and 12 hour working days then he’s clearly up for the challenge and as has already been said he’s been in the spotlight since he was 16, he knows the game inside out, knows what is required to play at the highest level, maintain such standards season after season, deal with the media attention and all the cr*p that goes with it and he’s still here .... wanting more, wanting to learn, to take the next step in his career, he could have retired and put his feet up or just become a pundit but no he wants to be a manager with all the time, effort and commitment that management demands. He deserves credit for this. At the moment he’s OUR (temporary) manager, he’s the manager of DCFC and if things continue as they are then more & more he will deserve our support and our respect. 

12 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Yup, that Man Utd 

Massively underachieving, also now out of Europe to

Yes they could do better under a better coach, but they are doing fine in the Prem - only 5 points off the top with a game in hand. We won't be competing for any trophies other than the Championship and if Rooney gets us to within a couple of points of the top of the table or third like Solskjaer managed last season then I don't think we can have any complaints.

I didn’t want him as manager because were in a relegation dog fight and he’d shown nothing to suggest he’d be good at it.

If we continue to pick up results and the underlying statistics begin to improve to show we’re on an upward trajectory then he will have done something to suggest he’d be good at it and he’d have my blessing. 

It was never about Wayne Rooney the person, it was always about Wayne a Rooney the manager and what he had to offer for me. Do I still think some of the arse licking, we’re all smiley now in training interviews were of poor taste considering the class Cocu conducted himself with? Absolutely. They rubbed me up the wrong way but I’ll back any gaffer who’s stood in our technical area and any player who’s stood in a Derby shirt on the pitch. 

21 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Although that may be the case, my personal issue wasn't with the performances under the coalition. I've never been a fan of making judgements on individual coaches when they're not the 'main man'.

My main gripe was that we were considering hiring someone who had never been able to demonstrate whether he was any good as a manager or not. Hence, my attitude was one of caution, as it would have been if it had been John Terry, Liam Rosenior, etc.

Of course, the longer he has in his current role, the more we'll learn about his managerial ability. I think we're in an awkward 'in between' stage now, where he's demonstrated enough promise to make bringing in an experienced replacement seem harsh, but we haven't seen enough to change the fact that it's still a big gamble to continue with a rookie in our precarious situation.

Stop being so damned reasonable. There's no place for it here. It's black and white - you are either for him or you hate him. If you are not for him, you want him to fail.

There are no shades of grey. ?

I think the job was always going to be his and will be this season as long as he picks up enough points to keep us clear of the drop.

Still not keen on handing it to a complete novice and would prefer a more experienced manager. But his start has been ok and I support whoever is managing us, just like I support whichever player pulls on our shirt!

2 hours ago, Derbados said:

Whilst we can’t deny he’s picking up results and it’s tempting to just give him the role, I still feel in the long term we need someone with a lot more experience, particularly within this league. 

remember when Solskjaer was interim at Man Utd and they looked like Barcelona for a while until the new manger bounce faded and teams worked them out? 

Yeah, that 

We already have that person here...Steve McClaren.

Archived