v Stoke City (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

18 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So why would you go with those two lightweights? ?

Height for corners, set pieces etc.. and both able to play out and find available space

instead of this side/back stuff - although I have to say this has been reduced alot in the

previous 4 games.

RMF,  you are ITK,  for gods sake what's happened to MTW ????

He could theoretically solve our defensive problem with a few games under his belt!!!

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

With Bird starting, I wouldn't be surprised to see Evans return to the squad as DM cover. It probably means Sibley will miss out again ?

I think you are probably right. I'd be starting him today in a 433 but I think it's most likely to be either a straight swap with Bird in for Shinnie or Knight moved back with Holmes moving to 10.

Pretty much exactly what I was expecting. Only major complaint from me is that Knight is still in number 10. He’s not technically suited to that role, and I think him being there is contributing quite significantly to our lack of attacking threat. The inclusion of Lawrence will probably mean Jozwiak is shoved on the right, which I’m not a fan of - he’s far more effective on the left.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

As predicted.

Marshall

Byrne   Wisdom   Clarke   Buchanan

Bird   Bielik

Jozwiak   Knight   Lawrence

Kazim

Somewhat mixed feelings about that line-up despite that I'd have been close to naming every player in it and it's mostly down to one element of it; namely the number 10 position. This is nothing against Knight personally, who I highly rate but it's not quite right for that role really. A 4231 is essentially a formation that is set up to give the number 10 a lot of license and freedom to create and really hurt teams whilst being the prime focal point of attack. It's a formation that is set up to essentially provide that number 10 a platform and if they aren't producing it's going to blunt your attack. Knight hasn't really got the right skill set for it and it actually limits him to an extent as he's more effective when he can really buzz about the pitch and make late runs into the box whereas he hasn't really got the guile to play as a #10 and will be very workmanlike in role that you need a bit of magic. Personally if we are playing this system it has to be either Sibley or Lawrence in that position I think.

With that said there is an outside chance it's a 433 with Bird pushed up which I think would be a better plan, but I doubt we are going to move from a 4231 anytime soon.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Somewhat mixed feelings about that line-up despite that I'd have been close to naming every player in it and it's mostly down to one element of it; namely the number 10 position. This is nothing against Knight personally, who I highly rate but it's not quite right for that role really. A 4231 is essentially a formation that is set up to give the number 10 a lot of license and freedom to create and really hurt teams whilst being the prime focal point of attack. It's a formation that is set up to essentially provide that number 10 a platform and if they aren't producing it's going to blunt your attack. Knight hasn't really got the right skill set for it and it actually limits him to an extent as he's more effective when he can really buzz about the pitch and make late runs into the box whereas he hasn't really got the guile to play as a #10 and will be very workmanlike in role that you need a bit of magic. Personally if we are playing this system it has to be either Sibley or Lawrence in that position I think.

With that said there is an outside chance it's a 433 with Bird pushed up which I think would be a better plan, but I doubt we are going to move from a 4231 anytime soon.

I agree. Perhaps the three supporting Colin will be given licence to roam. Although it seems that Rooney wants the wide players to help out in defence. Perhaps Ibe will be a number ten. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

What a surprise. 
the bloke likes the sound of his own voice too much.

I’m struggling to warm to him , just seems to be a kind of aggressive manner to his interviews and my view is both he and Rooney played a part in the cocu demise behind the scenes

Just now, RIMBAUD said:

I agree. Perhaps the three supporting Colin will be given licence to roam. Although it seems that Rooney wants the wide players to help out in defence. Perhaps Ibe will be a number ten. 

That should be the basic idea with a 4231, you name two defensive midfielders who sit in so that the 3 in front of them can be freed up and have a lot of creative license with the #10 acting as the lynchpin of the attack. 

If you pile a lot of defensive responsibility on those 3 you risk having a lot of people either level with the ball or behind it when you transition making it very difficult to attack unless you have a ten who is very clever and good at finding space (even then it's difficult).

Archived