Best Quotes

sage

22 minutes ago, jono said:

Language is the most wonderful tool .. it saddens me and impoverishes us when rigid forms of speech and terminology are forced on us. Street patois and jargon that exclude the majority to the benefit only of those who are in the know, the  hip cool or the self appointed “important” ones.  

True shizzle, Bro!  

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".

Isaac Asimov

Disraeli on Gladstone

“A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.”

Reminds me of a few on this forum.

Do you know the difference between knowledge and wisdom? Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. 

Lad at Celanese Spondon, 2008 

“In show business, there’s a saying that you play (name of venue) twice in your career. Once on the way up. Once on the way down...It’s good to be back”

A comic called Ian McPherson wrote it in the eighties, loads of comics have stolen it/used it since.

Spoken by a UK politician about the Lib Dems in the 2010 election, but could also be said of many other smaller party, or indeed anyone with an opinion but not no responsibility.

'It's easy to promise the Earth when you're never going to inherit it'.

Archived