Where does Marshall rank?

Where does Marshall rank?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No he wasn't.

Why do you think not? Poom was just as good a shot stopper but was about 6 inches taller. He was far, far better at dealing with crosses, corners and general high balls into the box. You have rose tinted spectacles because he was part of our great sides. Which, incidentally, I also saw just like you 

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's a matter of opinion, and I favour Colin Boulton. "Boulton kept 23 clean sheets during the Championship-winning 1971–72 season. He was also ever present in the team that won the First Division in 1975."

Also saw both and a very close call but Poom would just edge it for me but both fantastic keepers.  Happy to have either in my all time team .

Best keeper we’ve had since peak Carson who was very good during his run of form.

Does everything you want from a keeper at this level, he’s especially valuable to us given finding good keepers is like finding hens teeth these days!

Poom is still by far the best in recentish times though!

Have to go with 

1. Poom

2. Shilton

3. Carson

4. Grant

Boulton was keeper when I started following this club but I was too young to remember him. Poom, for me, had the whole package as I recall him.  Great shot stopper.  Great in the air. Commanded his box. Solid on the ground. 

It's interesting to compare the old with the new as the game's changed so much.  Keepers back then could just pick up a back pass whereas modern keepers have to play out so the risk of losing a goal is higher.  I don't think a straight compare of clean sheets from then to now is fair. Just my opinion of course 😉

1 minute ago, BucksRam said:

Have to go with 

1. Poom

2. Shilton

3. Carson

4. Grant

Boulton was keeper when I started following this club but I was too young to remember him. Poom, for me, had the whole package as I recall him.  Great shot stopper.  Great in the air. Commanded his box. Solid on the ground. 

It's interesting to compare the old with the new as the game's changed so much.  Keepers back then could just pick up a back pass whereas modern keepers have to play out so the risk of losing a goal is higher.  I don't think a straight compare of clean sheets from then to now is fair. Just my opinion of course 😉

Also have to consider what defence they had in front of them and quality of the opposition ?

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
spelling
1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Also have to consider what defence they had in front of them and quality of the opposition ?

Indeed, exactly why like for likes can be pretty subjective.  Poom still ranks top for me though based on memory.  Marshall is a very good keeper and given time may well move up the list. 

15 minutes ago, peartreecres said:

Reg Matthews. Played in a side nearly as xxxxe as the current team. (And he played for England). I’ll go back in my box now.

Reggie was a great shot stopper and deserves a mention for chinning Alex Dawson, and knocking him out, in a game against Preston. For the youngsters, Dawson was a big ugly bar steward who regularly clattered goalkeepers. Different times then of course.

23 minutes ago, BobdeBilder said:

Reggie was a great shot stopper and deserves a mention for chinning Alex Dawson, and knocking him out, in a game against Preston. For the youngsters, Dawson was a big ugly bar steward who regularly clattered goalkeepers. Different times then of course.

I recall Colin B did something similar to Drew Jarvie of Airdrie in the home leg of the Anglo Scottish Cup Final 

27 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I recall Colin B did something similar to Drew Jarvie of Airdrie in the home leg of the Anglo Scottish Cup Final 

Yes, after having been clattered twice by Jarvie, when it happened a third time Colin picked himself up, chased him off the pitch behind the goal at the Normanton end and landed a timely head punch . 

The ref obviously thought he had it coming to him and took no action.

Definitely England v Scotland that night!

1 hour ago, BobdeBilder said:

Did a similar thing at Gigg Lane against Bury IITC to Dave Hickson, who was just plain dirty.

Knew how to look after himself did Reg!