16 points and unbeaten Rooney

DCFC27

16 points to make up... I’m not serious but I am liking what I’m seeing from Rooney as a manager so far, he’s very open that he’s still learning and he’s smart enough to take on advice from others that have been successful managers.

The players are playing for him first and foremost but what I like is we are always now looking to play a forward pass or get the ball into the box.
Keep improving each game and we can get out of trouble. 

Also, correct me if I’m wrong but Rooney is unbeaten in 3 since he took charge... 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Also, correct me if I’m wrong but Rooney is unbeaten in 3 since he took charge...

2 draws and a win with (almost) the same group of players that had lost their last 3.

Rooney is definitely the difference. Whether it's because he's no longer on the pitch or because he's now in charge is not yet clear.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Two of the teams with most to fight for when we're also struggling.

They are still very poor - everyone is fighting for something in this league. It's the quality of the players and the management that make the difference.

Rome wasn't built in a day though. Not losing against the two of them is still a positive with the limited time he had with them and he gets kudos for beating a better quality team in the form of Millwall.

If he avoids a pasting against Brentford I will be impressed and if he manages to beat them he'd certainly move up in my list for the next manager.

You have to start somewhere. The rot was stopped. Rooney took charge of a team with their heads down. They’re heads could have dropped further after drawing from winning positions against Wycombe and Coventry but I saw now sign of that. Moreover a determination to get themselves out of the slump prevailed.

That comes from belief and I think that was down to Rooney, He could quite easily have hid in the squad and not put his ambitions for manager on the table and possibly ruin his reputation. But he didn’t, he took charge and that takes courage.

I’m glad he’s getting plaudits. It may be a false dawn but for me I’m willing to give Wayne the credit.

You could also argue we’ve just had 3 of the easiest games of the season on paper, and we’ve only got 5 points. Of course, that’s an overly simplistic way of looking at things, as this League is very unpredictable, and there are no easy games. But it highlights that we shouldn’t be calling Rooney the saviour just yet imo, after all, we are still in the bottom 3.

He has still got a lot to prove imo. I think the performances the past few games have been better, but how much that is down to the quality of the opponents I’m not sure. It certainly hasn’t been a revolutionary turn around since Cocu’s dismissal, that’s for sure. 

Of course, you have to take the poor quality of our squad into account as well. It’s difficult to get proper class performances out of a side lacking individual quality in forward areas.

There was one thing that gave me a bit of hope today as well, and that was the fight shown by the players. They really gave their all, and dug in to see the three points over the line. There was fight and mental strength there that we hadn’t seen the last couple of games. Maybe there’s hope yet that we can survive this season.

But no, Rooney is still not the man for me. Not changing my view based on one game, just like I didn’t when we got the one win under Cocu this season. He’s not ready yet.

To me anyone can beat anyone in this league..Sheff weds were ahead for a good while against Norwich, Coventry won easily and Wycombe were 3 minutes away from a win at Preston..if we start to show more belief, get a few more wins the confidence will grow..we can beat anyone. It was clear the players struggled with the style Cocu wanted and did not buy into that dour boring brand of football. The early signs are encouraging that they are playing for Rooney and showing more attacking intent. Still lots to do but promising all the same.

22 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

You could also argue we’ve just had 3 of the easiest games of the season on paper, and we’ve only got 5 points. Of course, that’s an overly simplistic way of looking at things, as this League is very unpredictable, and there are no easy games. But it highlights that we shouldn’t be calling Rooney the saviour just yet imo, after all, we are still in the bottom 3.

He has still got a lot to prove imo. I think the performances the past few games have been better, but how much that is down to the quality of the opponents I’m not sure. It certainly hasn’t been a revolutionary turn around since Cocu’s dismissal, that’s for sure. 

Of course, you have to take the poor quality of our squad into account as well. It’s difficult to get proper class performances out of a side lacking individual quality in forward areas.

There was one thing that gave me a bit of hope today as well, and that was the fight shown by the players. They really gave their all, and dug in to see the three points over the line. There was fight and mental strength there that we hadn’t seen the last couple of games. Maybe there’s hope yet that we can survive this season.

But no, Rooney is still not the man for me. Not changing my view based on one game, just like I didn’t when we got the one win under Cocu this season. He’s not ready yet.

Is it possible for you to make a post without slagging off

a) the club

or

b) Rooney 

39 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

a) the club

or

b) Rooney 

There must be a thin dividing line between slagging someone off and fair comment in your opinion.

We definitely played 2 of the weakest teams under Rooney and failed to register a win at home in either of the fixtures. 

Would another manager have done differently or better who knows. 

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just to give your comment some balance we failed to beat two of the weakest teams in the division both at home. 

Just to give your comment context when Rooney took over we were rock bottom, winless in 9 matches, little confidence and unable to create chances. Maybe those two teams were pretty fecked off that they didn’t give the bottom team a drubbing!! ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, Asheville Ram said:

a) the club

or

b) Rooney 

His criticisms are valid. Just because you don't like what he is saying does not make them any less meaningful. He even put some positives in his post or did you not read that far?

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just to give your comment some balance we failed to beat two of the weakest teams in the division both at home. 

Wycombe have only lost 2 out of their last 9 games and Coventry are unbeaten in 5.

Not saying they are great teams but they are both currently very competitive and difficult to beat, and on balance we can feel slightly unlucky not to have won at least one of the two games.

Archived