WILL WE SURVIVE IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP?

Kingpin

Taken from ‘the stats zone.’

An average of around 47 points has been enough to survive the drop in the Championship, but the magic number has varied significantly over the years. Just 40 points would have beaten the drop (with a superior goal difference) in both 2011-12 and 2015-16, whilst 54 points were not enough to keep Peterborough up in 2012-13.

I for one am losing a bit of hope. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Taken from ‘the stats zone.’

An average of around 47 points has been enough to survive the drop in the Championship, but the magic number has varied significantly over the years. Just 40 points would have beaten the drop (with a superior goal difference) in both 2011-12 and 2015-16, whilst 54 points were not enough to keep Peterborough up in 2012-13.

I for one am losing a bit of hope. 

Lets hope its not the 2012-13 season then that could be a mountain to big to climb

I don't really see the point of focussing on set points totals season upon season. Yes, there's general trends, but each season is unique so hitting X amount of points doesn't really guarantee much. Our points total in 2013/14 saw us finish 3rd however in other seasons we would've been top two. Our "bottle" season where we lost to Reading 3-0 on the final day saw us finish 8th. That points total would've had us in the top six in pretty much any other season.

I'm happy to just focus on the teams around us rather than stressing about "needing" to reach 50 points or whatever it is. If 22nd place only manage 30 points, then we only need to get 31 to guarantee safety. Keep picking up points wherever we can, and use our rivals to base our survival hopes around instead, much better indicator imo.

Archived