Tom Glick

Poynton ram

I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I do wonder if we would have got into this current mess if Tom was still around. 

Certainly can't remember too much scandal on his watch.

If memory serves me right he left us to go and work at Man City but possibly back in the US now.

Always seemed happy to speak to the media and remember meeting him at Crewe away and he seemed a decent enough chap

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I do wonder if we would have got into this current mess if Tom was still around. 

If memory serves me right he left us to go and work at Man City but possibly back in the US now.

Always seemed happy to speak to the media and remember meeting him at Crewe away and he seemed a decent enough chap

President of the Carolina panthers now. Was at Man city a couple of years!

https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/person/16041159

43 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

I remember he got a lot of hate early on (team was rubbish, we kept seeling players at first offer and signing cheapies or freebies, yanks out protests etc) but in terms of professionalism they were very good operators, they knew Nigel was working on a shoe string and we did progress back towards health under them (very slowly, very very slowly).

Glick is clearly capable in these possitions, hence him moving to other sports teams.

Tom Glick while he was part of the City organisation was also CEO of New York City FC. Excellent administrator as his career shows. Tim Hinchey also. Was fortunate to meet them both a few times, both good guys and very engaging.

However the ownership group put barely anything in and what they did Jewell wasted. As a result Clough had to drop the wage bill to at one point a bottom 6 budget as he built a team but it was mid table mediocrity that was too boring for many despite our excellent home record under Clough. 

Then we throw money at it. Oh we shouldn’t have done that either!

Now it’s balance the books and a transition to bring through the youth. Oh but we’re always in transition it isn’t good enough. 

Who would be a football club owner?!

He was great at putting a spin on even the very worst events and make it seem like the ownership group were doing the sensible thing even when that involved selling off the few good assets that the squad possessed. It clearly worked out in the end in making us more financially sustainable and suffering through some very tough times- you can argue about if they got lucky avoiding relegation or chose the right man in Nigel Clough to keep us above the trap door. During a lot of their ownership though it did feel like they were suffocating the club due to budget cuts that were being imposed as they'd been burned through their initial spending spree under Jewell. 

On 05/12/2020 at 14:29, CornwallRam said:

Tom Glick was the driving force behind FFP being adopted in the Championship. 

The Americans didn't want to invest any money in DCFC, so it was their cunning plan to prevent other owners in the league putting their money in and leaving Derby further in their wake. Buying promotion, if you will, heaven forbid! 

On 05/12/2020 at 13:32, Archied said:

Lots of credit must go to Nigel clough as he dealt with the mess and shoestring budget very well ,, we might not be saying the same of Glick with a manager in place who didn’t cope so well and we were relegated ?

The best we can say of Nigel is he avoided relegation. His limitations were immediately exposed when a better manager took his place. Sheffield United fans will concur. 

On 05/12/2020 at 13:32, Archied said:

Lots of credit must go to Nigel clough as he dealt with the mess and shoestring budget very well ,, we might not be saying the same of Glick with a manager in place who didn’t cope so well and we were relegated ?

Through all of that time we stuck with Nigel, many were saying "it's no good, get a better manager in" I thought we could easily have had no end of managers with similar results or worse because the money wasn't there, each with their own ideas, each wanting different things.....there were reasons Glick would keep saying "Nigel's our guy, we back him"

Archived