What is Tom Lawrence's Best Position?

Chris_Martin

What is Tom Lawrence's best position?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He clearly has talent but for some reason has never been consistent for us. Can be almost unplayable one game, then drift along and be invisible for several others. I am starting to wonder if this is because he always plays out on the left hand side. If he was in the no.10 position i think he would be much more involved. 

The games v Coventry and Wycombe i know he was far from brilliant but there were some good moments from him and they were all while he was in that central position. In them 2 games he had a big part in creating our goal against Wycombe, then v Coventry could have won a penalty running through the middle. Also won the free kick that he almost scored when dribbling past 2/3 players, again through the middle. There were a few other occasions over both games as well. And when i think back a fair amount of his best performances have come from him being in that area. Huddersfield away last season 2 great goals, Middlesbrough home 2 goals again from that position. Sheff Wed away another goal from there. The goal v Swansea away as well. I'm sure I'm forgetting some too but my point is all his best stuff seems to come from being in that central area. 

I remember a game away v Man Utd under Rowett where he started him in that no.10 position and he actually had a great game was very effective. Actually had his best season at Ipswich where he played this position and ended the season on 12 goals & 10 assist in 36 games which is pretty good for an attacking midfielder. 

He is, lets be honest, poor defensively. Playing LW you have to come over to help defend and not leave the LB exposed. This is a big weakness of his i feel. On many occasions he fails to stop crosses coming in and makes stupid fouls rather than tracking back to help. The no.10 position has a little less responsibility in defending which could suit him a bit more.

He is not really what you would class as a winger anyway, almost always cuts inside and gets drawn to the edge of the D, which makes him a bit predictable now. At least if he was moved to no.10 it would allow us to play 2 more natural wingers and have his creativity in behind the striker. Might help with our goalscoring issues?

Maybe it could work, maybe not. Just my thoughts but i would like to see it tried out at least.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn’t really matter in my opinion. If you want the best out of lawrence you have to drag opposition players away from him, which is difficult because he’s been a marked man since he arrived. It’s more about the personnel around him, of which I don’t think we’ve ever got right for him because it doesn’t benefit the rest of the side. It’s a catch 22, you could make lawrence your main man but how much are you willing to sacrifice to achieve it

If you play Lawrence on either wing he wont stay there, he nevers stays wide and offers an option down the line, he is always looking to move centrally. 

For me his best position is off a striker in the number 10 role (CAM), I think a confident Lawrence in that position will easily get double figures for both goals & assists. At the minute he shoots when he should pass and passes when he should shoot but his little run & lay off for CKR for the goal vs Wycombe shows what he is all about.

A 3 of Ibe Lawrence Jozwiak behind a target man (CKR) could be lethal in this league, we just need to get them all on the pitch fit & confident.

I think his best position is CAM, followed by LW/LF. The less defending he has to do the better. But I think what's more important with Lawrence is the style the team play's. He's best in a counter-attacking team, that's how they played when he was at Ipswich. The slow build up style under Cocu was probably the worst style for Lawrence. He needs to play in a team that creates space for him to run into and shoot.

6 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

If you play Lawrence on either wing he wont stay there, he nevers stays wide and offers an option down the line, he is always looking to move centrally. 

For me his best position is off a striker in the number 10 role (CAM), I think a confident Lawrence in that position will easily get double figures for both goals & assists. At the minute he shoots when he should pass and passes when he should shoot but his little run & lay off for CKR for the goal vs Wycombe shows what he is all about.

A 3 of Ibe Lawrence Jozwiak behind a target man (CKR) could be lethal in this league, we just need to get them all on the pitch fit & confident.

Yep, my thought exactly. Would like to see this

5 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I think his best position is CAM, followed by LW/LF. But I think what's more important with Lawrence is the way the style the team play's. He's best in a counter-attacking team, that's how they played when he was at Ipswich. The slow build up style under Cocu was probably the worst style for Lawrence. He needs to play in a team that creates space for him to run into and shoot.

Yep agreed, especially that bit

Archived