Move the ball quicker

dcfc4ever

We will all agree the better football we have played is when we move the ball forward quicker at pace.We need to be more direct going forwards and stop the slow play and side to side from the back.It frustrates me how slow we take throw ins..never quick throw in.Let’s go direct with forward passes and more movement from front players.We do have the individual quality from the players just the confidence and previous management have instilled a safe pass mentality.Paul Clement supposedly insisted on no 50/50 balls so killed the creativity from the players and I personally think this is what Cocu implemented.It will take a short time to get out of this mind set but the ball needs to go forward and the pace increased ten fold.Keep the faith Rams fans,give the players the freedom to take risks and we will get the points to survive this season.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, dcfc4ever said:

We will all agree the better football we have played is when we move the ball forward quicker at pace.We need to be more direct going forwards and stop the slow play and side to side from the back.

Exactly this. I actually enjoyed watching the first half against Wycombe, it was entertaining. We hit the target man and got runners in behind, but it was attacking and most importantly it was effective which is what you need when you're bottom of the league. Not passing it sideways and backwards between the centre halves and goalkeeper, taking 50 passes to get up the field. Boring, possession football that simply doesn't work.

43 minutes ago, dcfc4ever said:

It frustrates me how slow we take throw ins..never quick throw in.

Why is it that only our full backs take throw ins? That always slows things down.

I'm excluding Holmes long throws 'cos they always take ages.

And why is it that the ref on Saturday let Wycombe off when they moved virtually half way up the pitch from where the ball went out before taking their throw ins.

Purely based on the average position of our touches, we've been playing further up the pitch in the last 4 games than we have in any of the previous 11. Under Cocu the average touch was slap bang in between the CBs and the DMs. There's now much greater emphasis on the DMs pulling the strings and greater involvement for the CF.
Our passing has visibly gone more direct. Our season's average has seen 8.6% of our successful passing being long, whereas in the last 4 games we record (10.7, 14.3, 17.5 and 14.0). The mix is close to being bout right.

The problems we need to address is defensive organisation (in our own box), and final ball / positioning.

Although I like Max Bird, he's still playing with a ball and chain attached to his ankle. He looks very confident and good at times. He should be playing like this every minute. But for whatever stupid reason he's far too often collecting the ball off the heels of the defenders or again yesterday, was almost always 10 yards away from Bielik.

The cherry on the top yesterday was in the final minute's, Bielik was getting further forward. George Thorne territory. 40 yards from their goal. One instance he rounded the opponent with 10 yards of space, 35 yards out. Bird, instead of presenting himself as an option for a pass, ran back and stood in the space Bielik just progressively left. The second he did this Bielik didn't know what to do with the ball, and it ended up being a 10 yard sideward pass. 

It drove me mad. 

Who is coaching our players to do this?

If McClaren was the manager and coaching them, that wouldn't have happened, we'd have done the right things in the situation, probably create a chance and score. 

I'm getting sick of it. You can clearly see that as a pair, those two ooze talent and could storm this league under the right management and coaching. 

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Purely based on the average position of our touches, we've been playing further up the pitch in the last 4 games than we have in any of the previous 11. Under Cocu the average touch was slap bang in between the CBs and the DMs. There's now much greater emphasis on the DMs pulling the strings and greater involvement for the CF.
Our passing has visibly gone more direct. Our season's average has seen 8.6% of our successful passing being long, whereas in the last 4 games we record (10.7, 14.3, 17.5 and 14.0). The mix is close to being bout right.

The problems we need to address is defensive organisation (in our own box), and final ball / positioning.

Hit the nail on the head. 

Defensively we are all over the place. Having Byrne at the back post is a risk. Wisdom doesn't like balls that go over his head (he seems to get disoriented) and Clarke stands where he thinks the ball might go (a guess) rather than next to an opponent. 

All of our defenders lack aggression. 

Up front, we are a team that's poor in the air. 

We are therefore very unlikely to get accurate contact on any aerial cross. But knowing that, we don't take up positions for the second ball. 

We rarely split players between the front and back posts and don't make space for a drag back. 

Players wander into the box with an air of reservation that the ball won't reach them. 

I've said it before that we lack the collective desire to score goals. 

I don't see that swagger in anyone (perhaps now with the exception of CKR). 

Archived