If we go down...

BuckoBeast

He can shoot directly into the body of the neares defender better than anyone at the club. He can attract 3 or defenders and lose the ball.

But he can score some lovely goals from outside the box. Just not often enough.

If he was just ? like the new Gary Teale or something I wouldn't mind so much. It's that there is that 1 game in 10?15? where he is a world beater. I'm pretty sure when people get his stats he actually works reasonably hard as well - it's just when he is so often utterly ineffective, combined with his petulance, which is as bad as ever.

I'm more wound up with the defenders right now though.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

And there you have It ladies and gentlemen... close the forum right now we have the “Post of the Millennium” 

congratulations. 

Thanks mate, comeing from you that means absolutely nothing.

Lawrence is no better or worse than most of them.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Thanks mate, comeing from you that means absolutely nothing.

Lawrence is no better or worse than most of them.

I actually kind of AGREE with you... BUT the difference is that the others (who have arguably got less actual ability) are actually trying harder than he is...and imagine how bad that is if the rest of them are putting in more effort than you are...! 

Just now, plymouthram said:

If we do go down, then we would lose Knight, Bird, Sibley, Lawrence, Bielik, Jozwiak and Buchanan. It would make us the richest club in League 1. But who would we attract to bounce back?

Ah that's the plan, a bit of asset stripping.

5 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

If we do go down, then we would lose Knight, Bird, Sibley, Lawrence, Bielik, Jozwiak and Buchanan. It would make us the richest club in League 1. But who would we attract to bounce back?

We wouldn't be able to purchase anyone because we would already be hard up against their wage cap. 

£2.5m per season per club, which is less than what Rooney earns on his own. I think the players we get relegated with would be fine providing they are in a contract prior to the relegation. However, it would absolutely mean that any incomings would be neigh on impossible unless I'm missing something? 

The club would stand to make a loss of roughly £8-10m in revenue though, so that would need to be addressed with sales. 

The trouble is, who is the alternative?

Ibe? Very talented, but no-one knows if he is fit or how ready he is for first team action. Could be days, weeks, months.

Jozwiak? Clearly talented, but he still needs time to settle and adapt to this league and patience will be lost with him when we are bottom of the league and haven’t won in two months.

Whittaker? Talented young lad who needs time to develop and a relegation battle is probably not the time or the place.

When you really dig down deep, Lawrence is the best we have in his position.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Ibe? Very talented, but no-one knows if he is fit or how ready he is for first team action. Could be days, weeks, months.

Jozwiak? Clearly talented, but he still needs time to settle and adapt to this league and patience will be lost with him when we are bottom of the league and haven’t won in two months.

Whittaker? Talented young lad who needs time to develop and a relegation battle is probably not the time or the place.

I'd genuinely forgot he was here.  

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

We wouldn't be able to purchase anyone because we would already be hard up against their wage cap. 

£2.5m per season per club, which is less than what Rooney earns on his own. I think the players we get relegated with would be fine providing they are in a contract prior to the relegation. However, it would absolutely mean that any incomings would be neigh on impossible unless I'm missing something? 

The club would stand to make a loss of roughly £8-10m in revenue though, so that would need to be addressed with sales. 

In terms of the league one salary cap, Rooney's salary, or indeed that of every player we currently have on our books, is pretty much irrelevant. Until their contract expires, for the purposes of the cap they are only counted at the current average for the league which is something like £1700 per week regardless of what they actually earn.

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

He's not. 

Archie Brown is a better wide player than him, and he's a full back in the 23's.

I'd play Buchanan ahead of him, with Fozzy backing him up.

I'd play Whittaker out of position on his wrong foot ahead of him.

Hell, I'd even play Ted McMinn ahead of him and expect a bigger contribution.

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

In terms of the league one salary cap, Rooney's salary, or indeed that of every player we currently have on our books, is pretty much irrelevant. Until their contract expires, for the purposes of the cap they are only counted at the current average for the league which is something like £1700 per week regardless of what they actually earn.

Ah, well Rooney won't be here, but we have the majority of our players under contract next season. If that's the case then we have a bit of room for movement, even if we do have a large wage bill - if they all get standardised to £1700-a-week then we should be ok. 

I bet we have kids in the U23s that earn double or triple that amount. Crazy. 

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

Ah, well Rooney won't be here, but we have the majority of our players under contract next season. If that's the case then we have a bit of room for movement, even if we do have a large wage bill - if they all get standardised to £1700-a-week then we should be ok. 

I bet we have kids in the U23s that earn double or triple that amount. Crazy. 

It's not just the playing wage bill that would kill us in Lg 1 though.

No chance of carrying on a Cat 1 academy with Lg 1 income, just when our next batch would be ripe for plucking.

ST renewals would be hit, around 25% at least, and the legacy of deferrals from previous uncompleted seasons would really come home to roost, given the likelihood a fair amount will walk away.

Any players of value would be gone, and teams in the championship and above would chance their arm with cheap but acceptable bids on any talent we'd have left.

Our community work would be drastically hit overnight, mass redundancies across the club would be essential to survive, the funding for the women's team would likely be a casualty.

My best guess, we'd end up with 16000 average home gates, but because of legacy debt and players contract's, because you can bet there's no relief clauses for relegation in those contracts, we'd end up with a midtable at best budget, and needing a generational manager to overcome such hurdles.

We simply can't go down, it could be the end of us.

8 hours ago, Rev said:

It's not just the playing wage bill that would kill us in Lg 1 though.

No chance of carrying on a Cat 1 academy with Lg 1 income, just when our next batch would be ripe for plucking.

ST renewals would be hit, around 25% at least, and the legacy of deferrals from previous uncompleted seasons would really come home to roost, given the likelihood a fair amount will walk away.

Any players of value would be gone, and teams in the championship and above would chance their arm with cheap but acceptable bids on any talent we'd have left.

Our community work would be drastically hit overnight, mass redundancies across the club would be essential to survive, the funding for the women's team would likely be a casualty.

My best guess, we'd end up with 16000 average home gates, but because of legacy debt and players contract's, because you can bet there's no relief clauses for relegation in those contracts, we'd end up with a midtable at best budget, and needing a generational manager to overcome such hurdles.

We simply can't go down, it could be the end of us.

Absolutely, I know that the phantom figure between revenue in League One and the Championship was £7m a year. I would suspect with ourselves it would become closer to £10m a year loss in revenue. It could perhaps mean even more, because I certainly agree with your 16000 figure. I would imagine some bigger games would result in more, but that would be our base - Stevenage on a Tuesday night - figure. 

The new owners would have the option to continue with the category one academy. Sunderland do. The operational budget needs to be £2.5m for it to be classed as a category one academy - not to dissimilar to what the EFL want clubs in League One to be run at. 

Assuming all U23 clubs are still able to enroll in the Paint Trophy (or whatever it's called now) then we could see a Derby County U23 home game against Derby County. Magic of the cup. 

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Should have been sacked after Joiners Gate. Talented player, but doesn’t have the work rate or decision making to get anything out of his natural ability. 

MR you keep banging on about this but we are already up against it P&S wise, the impact would have been devastating (note I do not know his carrying value but I can have an educated guess at a lot more than 0)

Archived