GBE Work Permits

rammieib

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/12/2020 at 06:10, AndyinLiverpool said:

It surely can't spply to Irish players. The status ofIrish nationals in terms of work and residence is covered by rules that predate EU membership.

On 02/12/2020 at 08:05, sage said:

There is an element of confusion about this as the government advices are contradictory at this point.

Who'd have guessed it.

On 02/12/2020 at 09:00, Spanish said:

I think you are right.  There is something called the Common Travel Area which provides special arrangements for the Irish working in UK and vice versa. I don't think that is affected by bre xit

In the document it is referring to a Player and that is defined as:

"Player means any player who is not a citizen of the United Kingdom or Ireland and has not acquired permanent residence in the United Kingdom, been granted pre-settled status or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme and who is not (and will not become) eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (and who has until 30 June 2021 to do so)."

So Irish players are treated the same as UK players. And it's possible there will be a busy January window given the 30th June 2021 date for applications. For instance, there's no problem us buying Serdar Dursan if he's living in Derby by New Year's Eve. But I've not read the full 36 pages to check the smallprint for what happens if not. 

On 02/12/2020 at 01:19, Ramarena said:

Actually scratch that......The home office has signed off

These are FA rules, if it would be governed by Home Office criteria then there would be no problem signing experienced professional footballers. The FA have just made the criteria for EU state players the same as non-eu players were prior to Brexit.

I can still hire moderately skilled Polish engineers, so long as i pay them enough.

• 1 month later...

The Football Weekly podcast did a whole episode on this subject this week. Really interesting look at the winners and losers of the new rules.

They also had a guy from a football manager game on there who had been advising the government on the rules because they had already been building them into latest versions.

Archived