GBE Work Permits

rammieib

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Surely this would bring teams back to us, closing the gap, as our academy investment flushes through ??‍♂️ 

Theoretically yes but Prem Teams can still pretty much buy who they want to from abroad. If they are buying a player from one of the top leagues who plays at least 80% of the minutes, they can do that - so there isn't a limited market at the top end so that won't drive up prices.

It's just the EFL's pool of players we can buy from is restricted to basically UK players (with UK Passports) only. Now think of some of the teams in the Championship - Norwich, Watford, Reading, all full of players that they would not be able to buy in the future.

As for the academy - well the likes of Jason Knight and Jeff Hendrick who joined us from 15 or 16 years of age, they couldn't do that anymore. So our pool of available players is suddenly reduced but this applies to every club in the UK. The likes of Man City and Chelsea won't be able to bring in under 18 players from abroad anymore to join the academy so they will want the best of British.

I think this is short sighted of the EFL. I've not yet seen the official immigration rules (they may exist) post the 1st January but this should be connected to "Are you bringing in a skilled worker" - if a footballer earning £10k a year isn't skilled enough to warrant a Work Permit from an EU country, I am shocked.

I'm just surprised the EFL have accepted this so willingly.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

What is you don't understand about his club refusing to let him go because they weren't able to get a suitable replacement. But hey - don't let that stop anyone using it as yet another opportunity to give Derby County another good kicking.

They would have let him had we paid up. We offered 1 mil, they wanted 1.5 if I remember correctly. Is that 500k worth a relegation? Because that will be the cost of it.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

They would have let him had we paid up. We offered 1 mil, they wanted 1.5 if I remember correctly. Is that 500k worth a relegation? Because that will be the cost of it.

What evidence do you have to backup they would have let him go for an extra £0.5m

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Seems like Birmingham are using this as an excuse to drop their academy from Cat 2 to Cat 4 (the Brentford model). Strange as I expected this to make Brentford's B and C team recruitment much more difficult.

quite a lot of hyperbole in that club statement, taking lessons from Trump it would appear

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Bizzare excuse that from Birmingham, should just come out and say they don’t want to fund an academy anymore. I get that not all clubs will want to put as much emphasis on youth as we do, but it still seems a shame to not give it a go at all. Could miss out on some real local talent.

Even stranger, I think it was only a year ago they were planning on applying for Cat 1 status

42 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Cost cutting - who do they get to play their B and C teams against?

Whichever U18, U23 or first team accepts an offer of a friendly.

To be honest, I don't think it'll be long before we see some form of restructuring at youth level. There's an increasing trend at Cat 1 level of the stronger academies reducing the average age of their U18 and U23 squads, to such a point that they aren't actually too far off being U17 and U19 leagues.

Archived