GBE Work Permits

rammieib

Rules for clubs signing EU players have come out.

https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/dec/01/gbe-points-based-system-launched-011220

Basically if you're a Premier League club you don't need to worry. For any EFL club, unless you're signing a full on International, not a chance.

I followed the criteria for Serdar Dursun and he wouldn't get enough points. So basically an EFL player cannot sign a full senior pro from another second level league in Europe.

Absolute pants.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, rammieib said:

Rules for clubs signing EU players have come out.

https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/dec/01/gbe-points-based-system-launched-011220

Basically if you're a Premier League club you don't need to worry. For any EFL club, unless you're signing a full on International, not a chance.

I followed the criteria for Serdar Dursun and he wouldn't get enough points. So basically an EFL player cannot sign a full senior pro from another second level league in Europe.

Absolute pants.

Well that’s cheered me up, cheers.

It is affecting PL teams. They (and EFL) teams can't sign any foreign players under 18.

Older players are on a points system or have to had played a % of international games.

It looks like this applies to Irish players too. 

Not sure if this starts 1st of Jan or the summer window 

6 hours ago, sage said:

It is affecting PL teams. They (and EFL) teams can't sign any foreign players under 18.

Older players are on a points system or have to had played a % of international games.

It looks like this applies to Irish players too. 

Not sure if this starts 1st of Jan or the summer window 

It surely can't spply to Irish players. The status ofIrish nationals in terms of work and residence is covered by rules that predate EU membership.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It surely can't spply to Irish players. The status ofIrish nationals in terms of work and residence is covered by rules that predate EU membership.

There is an element of confusion about this as the government advices are contradictory at this point.

Who'd have guessed it.

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I think you are right.  There is something called the Common Travel Area which provides special arrangements for the Irish working in UK and vice versa. I don't think that is affected by bre xit

Irish Nationals (my wife is one) were not required to sign the government forms for remaining as a resident in the UK. I don't know if there are any separate arrangements here but should it be applied I see the following problems:

Let's say that Noriwch bid £4 Million for Jason Knight - would he be allowed to transfer:

1) He currently scores zero ppints for his Irish National Team as he has played in less than 29% of games and they are ranked 42nd in the world.

2) Band 2 player - and in the past two seasons, I'm going to estimate he has played 40% of available minutes - 4 points.

3) No European competition minutes.

4) Mid table team in Band 2 - No points.

5) No European appearances.

6) Band 2 - So he gets 10 points for playing the Championship. (Note The Championship is given a Band 2 Status yet the German equivalent is given Band 4 - go figure?!?)

So he would score 14 points and would not be allowed to transfer. If he has played 50% plus of available minutes, he would qualify....

However - in the first place we'd not be able to bring him into our academy form Ireland!!!

This system is a joke and severely restricts the impact on Championship Clubs buying players from equivalent leagues around Europe. The prices of UK players will increase as the market becomes more restricted.

and it gets more farcical - if you wanted to employ a manager from abroad, all the manager mus thave done is have a minimum of three years of management experience in ANY of the Leagues around the world. (Not Every country but the bottom tier includes Serbia, Slovenia or China!)

So basically - getting a permit for a manager is EASY but getting one for a player is HARD.

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Another absolutely genius idea by the club to leave signing Dursun until January. 

What is you don't understand about his club refusing to let him go because they weren't able to get a suitable replacement. But hey - don't let that stop anyone using it as yet another opportunity to give Derby County another good kicking.

54 minutes ago, rammieib said:

This system is a joke and severely restricts the impact on Championship Clubs buying players from equivalent leagues around Europe. The prices of UK players will increase as the market becomes more restricted.

Surely this would bring teams back to us, closing the gap, as our academy investment flushes through ??‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'd argue the supposed 'genius idea' dates back to June 2016.

we shouldn't get political but I still can't believe the shock I felt that day.

Archived