v Coventry (H) - Match Thread

Bubbles

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Who drew with Norwich at the weekend and who we battered in the second half. Kazim was a clear chance, the bird save first half, stretton 6 yards out hits the bar, the stonewall Lawrence pen when he through on goal, got in behind crosses in the box. I’ve been critical recently but that was best performance of the season imo (better than Forest and we deserved to win that). Lots of positives and that consistent level of performance WILL win games. But we’ve left ourselves a mountain to climb.

Our expected goals for that match was 1.14, Coventry’s was 1.20. 

Let’s stop kidding ourselves that this is anything other than abysmal. Our players are simply not strong enough mentally to deal with the situation they’ve found themselves in and I’m worried. 

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

I get the sense everyone is a bit panicky at the minute, much like they were at the end of Cocu’s tenure. Lots of ‘this is wrong’ and fans willing to press self destruct and blame whoever, but not many ‘sensible’ solutions. 

Im with you, I see positives but we are running out of time to turn it round

We certainly need to get a win soon enough, but I didn't see reason to panic tonight. The assumption that Coventry and Wycombe aren't very good is part of the reasoning I guess, though I don't think that makes sense. There isn't easy games in this division, I don't see it being the end of the world we got two points. We stopped our slump at the very least.

The most frustrating thing for me is that we'd fought to get a lead, and knew we'd be under the cosh for the last 10 minutes. Yet when that ball dropped to Hamer at the edge of the area, did anyone sprint to close him down? No, just some half hearted jogging and a vague swing of the leg. And Rooney says "the players gave everything".

This is definitely twisting the knife, and I'll freely admit that I've never really taken to him since he signed, but how does Tom Lawrence manage to get in our team week in, week out? I've seen plenty of worse players for Derby, but successive managers all seem to have him as one of the first names on the team sheet, no matter how inconsistent he is. He never gets dropped unless he's injured. If we play well without him, he's always right back in the team the next week. I find it mystifying.

Just now, Crazy said:

The most frustrating thing for me is that we'd fought to get a lead, and knew we'd be under the cosh for the last 10 minutes. Yet when that ball dropped to Hamer at the edge of the area, did anyone sprint to close him down? No, just some half hearted jogging and a vague swing of the leg. And Rooney says "the players have everything".

Was thinking that must be a training thing. The basics are missing?

6 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

Aaaagh. AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

ducking....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

Stood on a piece of Lego? 

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The goal was a perfect cross towards the back stick in an incredibly dangerous area. It was a very clear cut chance. As was the Stretton one, the Bird one, Kazim had another header that was just a little high for him, Lawrence probably should have got a penalty in my opinion. I think we created plenty. 

That performance was better than the one that beat Norwich. It's the Championship, saying if you can't beat X you definitely can't beat Y doesn't follow at all. 

It was a decent cross to the back post but it wasn’t clear cut. CKR had to absolutely dominate 2 centre backs to score. It was a brilliant piece of work from CKR. 

Stretton unfortunate, Bird woeful finish but let’s be honest no one watching ever thought he was going to finish that he looked so Unconfident as he shaped up to hit it. 

Saying ‘that would have won a big portion of championship games’ doesn’t follow either

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

It was a decent cross to the back post but it wasn’t clear cut. CKR had to absolutely dominate 2 centre backs to score. It was a brilliant piece of work from CKR. 

If CKR missed it, Knight could have scored it right behind him. It was clear cut. 

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Saying ‘that would have won a big portion of championship games’ doesn’t follow either

Having 3-4 good quality chances probably would win a number of Championship games. If you want to look at purely the negatives it's pretty easy when you drop a goal in the last minute, but to claim we didn't create chances is just willfully ignorant. 

Another average performance. Build up ok, some chances but no where near enough. Holmes, Lawrence and Knight didn’t do enough tonight - 2 should have been subbed a lot earlier. We had a decent bench, it was clearly not working, had to change it on 60-65 mins. Cov were poor as were Wycombe, if that’s acceptable then get used to league 1 next season. 

2 points vs Wycombe and Coventry is abysmal for a team in our position. Minimum 4 points needed. A long winter awaits, sad times.

43 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

Rooney cant even get a win at home against the other 2 worst teams in this league

Offers nothing as a player & even less as a manager

Pack your bags Wayne, stop living off your reputation & go back home to Coleen

Cocu would have won these last 2 matches - proper manager needed now please

Yep I’m as certain as you can be that cocu although not doing well would have got us more wins over the last few games with players returning to fitness, 

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We certainly need to get a win soon enough, but I didn't see reason to panic tonight. The assumption that Coventry and Wycombe aren't very good is part of the reasoning I guess, though I don't think that makes sense. There isn't easy games in this division, I don't see it being the end of the world we got two points. We stopped our slump at the very least.

I don't agree with those saying we're worse, but I'm not sure I'm seeing improvement either bud. CKR is fit enough to start and he definitely brings something we've been missing and I've long maintained that Bielik is our new Gorgeous George. He was very good I thought. In so much you'd expect more of an uplift in results terms than we're seeing though, especially against other teams playing as poorly as we are.

The big concern for me is that defensively, we do appear to be going backwards. Cov could and maybe should have had two or three tonight and better teams most likely will. Bear in mind also that we had two DMs on the pitch tonight and still looked wide open at times. In all honesty, I'm really not sure how we can start winning games without addressing this basic deficiency and I see no evidence of that happening.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

If CKR missed it, Knight could have scored it right behind him. It was clear cut. 

Having 3-4 good quality chances probably would win a number of Championship games. If you want to look at purely the negatives it's pretty easy when you drop a goal in the last minute, but to claim we didn't create chances is just willfully ignorant. 

They had the more clear cut ones....

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The goal was a perfect cross towards the back stick in an incredibly dangerous area. It was a very clear cut chance. As was the Stretton one, the Bird one, Kazim had another header that was just a little high for him, Lawrence probably should have got a penalty in my opinion. I think we created plenty. 

That performance was better than the one that beat Norwich. It's the Championship, saying if you can't beat X you definitely can't beat Y doesn't follow at all. 

But these chances are to few and far between.  If we were clinical enough then maybe not. But we’re not.

The notion that we were the better team all over ( quoting another poster) really does Coventry’s shape, tactics and discipline a real disservice.  Too many teams come here and set up perfectly well to nullify any attacking threat,  we looked like we were controlling possession but in reality they let us have the possession as we simply did not really worry them like many teams, it’s a reoccurring theme.  Our goal was great but moments like that have been rare and none existent without a target man like CKR.

Archived