v Coventry (H) - Match Thread

Bubbles

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

I’m genuinely worried if we’ve set the bar that low. That performance absolutely wouldn’t win against a good proportion of the teams in this division. It couldn’t beat a team who are likely to be in the bottom 3 at the end of the season. 

We played some neat football without creating clear cut chances. Even the goal wasn’t a clear cut chance. 

Who drew with Norwich at the weekend and who we battered in the second half. Kazim was a clear chance, the bird save first half, stretton 6 yards out hits the bar, the stonewall Lawrence pen when he through on goal, got in behind crosses in the box. I’ve been critical recently but that was best performance of the season imo (better than Forest and we deserved to win that). Lots of positives and that consistent level of performance WILL win games. But we’ve left ourselves a mountain to climb.

26 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Isn't it always the hope that kills you..... 6 or 7 minutes of leading, some small progress steps and then pffffffftttttt. 

That was my balloon being punctured. Or maybe it was appalling flatulence. So difficult to tell these days....... ?

Evening dear boy I guess you knew the allardyce post was coming but well spotted ?

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I agree. I'm baffled by what I'm reading on here, it's almost like people watched a different game to me. We looked like scoring and we moved the ball much faster. We were slack at the back a couple of times, but I can live with performances like that.

I think it’s because of the soft underbelly. 
I agree that there were some positive moments, and some reasonable football. 
But even though I’m generally optimistic, I expected us to concede. 
And therein lies the problem. We just don’t seem to have any resilience. 
I’m really hopeful that in 5 games time we’ll look back and see that these last two games were us starting to turn the corner. But we are right at the beginning of that turn and it could easily turn out to just be a minor deviation before reverting to prior direction

Gutted but a  better performance.

Cut out the faffing about at the back and I think we will get ourselves out of this .

We need the takeover sorted pronto.

We need an experienced manager in asap as Rooney/Terry will be a massive risk imo.

Side note I love the way CKR is now the saviour up front when he was crucified by most of the forum before he had even kicked a ball .

A decent display but the luck never goes with you at the bottom of the league .

5 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I’m genuinely worried if we’ve set the bar that low. That performance absolutely wouldn’t win against a good proportion of the teams in this division. It couldn’t beat a team who are likely to be in the bottom 3 at the end of the season. 

We played some neat football without creating clear cut chances. Even the goal wasn’t a clear cut chance. 

The goal was a perfect cross towards the back stick in an incredibly dangerous area. It was a very clear cut chance. As was the Stretton one, the Bird one, Kazim had another header that was just a little high for him, Lawrence probably should have got a penalty in my opinion. I think we created plenty. 

That performance was better than the one that beat Norwich. It's the Championship, saying if you can't beat X you definitely can't beat Y doesn't follow at all. 

Just now, ck- said:

I think it’s because of the soft underbelly. 
I agree that there were some positive moments, and some reasonable football. 
But even though I’m generally optimistic, I expected us to concede. 
And therein lies the problem. We just don’t seem to have any resilience. 
I’m really hopeful that in 5 games time we’ll look back and see that these last two games were us starting to turn the corner. But we are right at the beginning of that turn and it could easily turn out to just be a minor deviation before reverting to prior direction

I agree with you, we definitely showed weakness in defense tonight. Clarke got caught a couple of times in dangerous positions, and I'm with you, I didn't believe entirely we would keep a clean sheet. 

Thing is though, the way people were talking on here you'd think we got played off the park. I saw plenty of improvements and a sense of direction tonight, which I haven't all season long. 

0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1

Don’t know whether to feel sorry for a team that clearly played well, or absolutely furious that they’ve thrown it away yet again. Perhaps its just numbness at the inevitable consequence of our refusal to score more than one goal – sequence of our season repeated above to highlight just how vulnerable we are to a split second lack of concentration every game.

To be fair, Coventry gave us warnings. The disallowed goal late in the first half, O’Hare’s stooped header just past the post second half…it’s amazing how a side so reliant on keeping clean sheets are able to leave men unmarked in & around the box.

The starting line up was pretty close to what I’d have gone with although don’t understand what Lawrence is doing to justify his continued inclusion. There’s a competent team here & still time to escape from our plight but we need a proper manager to coax it out of them. It was ridiculous that Rooney waited to nigh on 80 minutes to change it up – particularly with the game there to win & 5 substitutes available to use. When he finally made the change, it quickly worked but had they been brought on earlier, we’d have inevitably had extra chances to score more than one & finish them off. It also meant more tired legs to defend the late Coventry onslaught than was necessary.

The ‘experiment’ has lasted 4 games & we’ve picked up 2 points, both at home against the weakest sides in the division. This can not go on any longer. 

Quick recap of the last  year:

Trimmed the fat of an overpaid squad - Huddlestone, Johnson, Bryson, Martin, Anya, Carson. Didnt really work.

Replaced with  2 future  England/Chelsea loans alongside Harry Wilson and best England left back of modern times. Didn't really work.

Brought in sexy Foreign manager and utilised "one of the countries best academies'. Didnt work.

Utilised some tried and tested good old fashioned team bonding sessions. Less said the better.

Hired England's greatest goalscorer as player. Didnt work.

Brought back our arguably our most successful manager in 20 years to assist England's greatest goalscorer in his management transition. Doesnt appear to be working.

Beginning to think we were Nazi's in a previous life!!!

I think we are setting a low bar if that was acceptable, but that’s what we’ve become, we are looking for any little positive to make us feel that little bit better.

Its heartbreaking watching this rudderless club at the minute, whatever the future under new owners..... they have a mountain to climb to connect the fans back again.

2 points in 4 games since Cocu went. Are we happy guys? Where’s the bounce after we lose a manager?

Nothing to feel good for.....

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. That's what relegated teams say. If only...

If we had played like tonight all season we would be mid table and not in trouble. We haven’t, that’s why we are where we are. If they keep that level of performance we will be fine but it’s whether or not they build on it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

Aaaagh. AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

ducking....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

Just now, Andicis said:

I agree with you, we definitely showed weakness in defense tonight. Clarke got caught a couple of times in dangerous positions, and I'm with you, I didn't believe entirely we would keep a clean sheet. 

Thing is though, the way people were talking on here you'd think we got played off the park. I saw plenty of improvements and a sense of direction tonight, which I haven't all season long. 

I get the sense everyone is a bit panicky at the minute, much like they were at the end of Cocu’s tenure. Lots of ‘this is wrong’ and fans willing to press self destruct and blame whoever, but not many ‘sensible’ solutions. 

Im with you, I see positives but we are running out of time to turn it round

Archived