T20 cricket

Anag Ram

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Easy win for India. Kohli class but England’s bowlers below par.

Might be heresy but does Stokes on current form deserve his place?

Good point. For whatever reason, there could be a few, not sure how much he’s in to his cricket just now 

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

That was a borderline decision and it would have been no surprise if he'd been given out. Whether it was right or wrong, there's enough money in cricket to afford neutral umpires in these top level matches - in India in particular, the pressure from the extremely partisan crowd is intense.

Game was already lost but they’re allowed an off day as I think we are a mighty powerful unit. We’ll have these. I’m off Tue so I can start with the cricket then Brentf......oh erm well I’ve got the cricket to look forward to 

• 7 months later...
11 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

We thrashed the Aussies in 1981. 

It was 3-1, but I beg to differ regarding 'a thrashing'. It was a roller-coaster ride.

Australia won the first test, squeaking home by 4 wickets.

The second test was drawn, with England all over the place, and Ian Botham, the captain at the time, fell on his sword after making a pair and being 'silenced' off the park..

Mike Brearley was called up as captain for the remainder of the series, with the England camp in disarray. Australia racked up 401-9 at Headingley, bowling England out for 175 and enforcing the follow-on. Mid-way through the afternoon on day 4, England lost their 7th wicket with the score on 135, still 91 in arrears. The rest, as they say, is history, with Botham's heroics with the bat (149*) matched by Bob Willis (8-43) with the ball.

The fourth test at Edgbaston was another humdinger, with England seemingly heading for defeat. 69 behind on first innings, with 8 wickets down, England had struggled a lead of 98 before eking out another 50, thanks largely to John Emburey and an hour of doughty defence by Bob Taylor. Australia, set 151 to win, lost early wickets before a partnership of 59 between Border and Yallop took them to within 64 of victory. An hour later, Australia were just 37 short of their target with 5 wickets in hand. Brearley brought Botham back on and he produced another Boy's Own special, taking 5-1 in a devastating spell of 28 balls to give England victory by 29 runs.

The fifth test saw England retain the Ashes, winning by 102 runs. England's lead of 101 in the first innings proving to be more or less the winning margin, with both sides scoring 400+ in the second dig.

The sixth test, with The Ashes already having been decided, saw England hanging on for a draw, 7 down and still 121 behind.