Android tablet recommendation please

RoyMac5

Yeah, yeah...not another type of tablet. 

Need advice on what you can do on Amazon tablets. It's a present for someone who has an Android phone but no access to a laptop or pc and so finds some 'admin' things difficult on a phone.

They aren't IT literate so won't mess about with the Fire tablet and put a launcher on it or root it. That means no Google apps, is that right? But other than that are things the same as an Android tablet? 

Ta.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can download aptoide apk via downloader. Will give you access to most apps without messing about trying to get the play store on it. 

Depends on what the tablet is needed for but there are a lot of "workarounds". 

Let us know the primary usage is and I may be able to point you in the right direction. It may well come to you doing the donkey work prior to giving the present. 

4 minutes ago, Igor_111 said:

Let us know the primary usage is and I may be able to point you in the right direction. It may well come to you doing the donkey work prior to giving the present. 

Yeah it's just that any updates would mean it had to be done from the beginning again? That's not gonna happen. Imagine the tablet is for your Gran or Grandad! ? 

I think it's just for stuff like online forms, admin stuff - I'm not 100% sure tbh. I just wondered if there were things that Fire tablets couldn't do that Android tablets could. The Fire 10 HD is £90 new and £80 refurb so it's a good deal. But... 

Any updates from Amazon would only update the operating system. It won't affect the affect apps you have installed on the tablet itself. Much the same way Windows updates doesn't affect your personal programs installed on a pc. 

The apps themselves may have updates which will prompt you to update occasionally. 

That being said, giving a tablet to someone a bit older will largely depend on their aptitude towards tech. Basic things will pose no problem, anything a little more involved may be a lille more problematic due to the need to navigate around the menus. 

I would give it a go for 3 weeks and return if not suitable. 

Hope that helps. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I've just realised (found out) that it won't have Youtube on it, bit crap that! 

I think an Android tablet is the way to go - more cost but ah well...

I didn't realise that. Mrs Wolfie has got one - I'm surprised she's never complained about it.

Bookmark Youtube website in the browser?

Thinking of buying this for the wife £149 Lenovo think it’s a good price for the spec only issue is regarding updates. Look at the comments section for better info or maybe other suggestions 

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lenovo-tab-m10-103-tablet-64-gb-grey-octa-core-23ghz-4gb-ram-64gb-emmc-android-pie-2020-for-ps149-delivered-at-currys-pc-world-3596081

9 minutes ago, cstand said:

Thinking of buying this for the wife £149 Lenovo think it’s a good price for the spec only issue is regarding updates. Look at the comments section for better info or maybe other suggestions 

Ta. I did read that yesterday as the OH has a works discount for Lenovo. It's a bit more than I wanted to pay. I saw the £89 one with 2gb and 16gb is still available at Argos, might get it...

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8806969

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ta. I did read that yesterday as the OH has a works discount for Lenovo. It's a bit more than I wanted to pay. I saw the £89 one with 2gb and 16gb is still available at Argos, might get it...

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8806969

For the spec looks good value decent reviews takes an sd card if 16gb gets full.

Only drawback is Lenovo sometimes stop updating the operating system which keeps things running smoothly,  improves the user interface, enhance security, and remove minor bugs.

I had a Lenovo tablet before only used it for surfing the internet, you tube,  looking on forums it was ok for me but I am no tech expert so other people might  have a better opinion to review this tablet.

17 hours ago, Wolfie said:

It's what she does, apparently & works ok.

Just looking at Fire HD 8 and the description says this:

"Enjoy your favourite apps like BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Disney+, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube and more through the Amazon Appstore (Google Play Store not supported). Subscription fees may apply."

Maybe it's changed?

Edit: maybe not, I think that is just for a smart tv via Firestick? 

Archived