Rooney takes himself out of the squad for Saturday

RoyMac5

7 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

I go on record as saying anyone being out witted by ronaldo so easily in that world cup match just doesnt have the brains for it . There i have layed it out there , let see what happens .

His escapades away from the pitch also back this  up somewhat. 

You know who i do think conducts himself very well and always plays well when called on who i think should go on to be a great manager is curtis davies , very astute bloke and comes across well as being a model professional when called on . Not saying he should be our manager but who ever gets him i nthe future he seems a really good pro who talks well . 

At that same World Cup, Zinedine Zidane, who's 13 years older than Rooney, got outwitted by Marco Materazzi in a game of far higher stakes.

He’s since won 3 Champions League trophies as a manager.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the focus is on picking the right team from the start, and by that I mean picking players in form in their right positions.

The substitutions on Wednesday were catastrophic and felt panicked.

Interesting to see Rooney’s style. Is he a ranter or a calming influence?

He has made mistakes, but I wish him every success as a manager and hope he has the backing of the players. We will see. 

What is the issue some have with Rooney? I don’t get how or why he’s become the latest in a long line of hate figures from the fan base.

He signs, we’re excited. He joins, plays well and we have a run of form. He seems to help the youngsters especially Bird and they form a good midfield partnership. We start this season and it’s horrendous, and you’d believe that’s all due to Rooney reading some comments. His play and form isn’t bad, well at least no worse than the rest. Cocu was sacked and most fans were calling for it to happen, but now that’s Rooney‘s fault also, he was apparently ear marked for the role and undermined Cocu.

Seems some people need a figure to dislike, to lay all the blame on and I guess as he’s a global name he’s the easy target to shoot at. Bet he wishes Keogh was still here to take the flack. 

38 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

What is the issue some have with Rooney? I don’t get how or why he’s become the latest in a long line of hate figures from the fan base.

He signs, we’re excited. He joins, plays well and we have a run of form. He seems to help the youngsters especially Bird and they form a good midfield partnership. We start this season and it’s horrendous, and you’d believe that’s all due to Rooney reading some comments. His play and form isn’t bad, well at least no worse than the rest. Cocu was sacked and most fans were calling for it to happen, but now that’s Rooney‘s fault also, he was apparently ear marked for the role and undermined Cocu.

Seems some people need a figure to dislike, to lay all the blame on and I guess as he’s a global name he’s the easy target to shoot at. Bet he wishes Keogh was still here to take the flack. 

It's not based on just this season, he's been awful for the last 20 odd games (although for a couple of those he did look to be our most creative player).

Against Boro it was clear he should have been one of those to have been subbed. The stubbornness to not bring himself off when he was arguably the worst player on the pitch is the main reason for being targetted. If he came off at half time the reaction to him would be completely different.

38 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

Come on now, he's had far more terrible games than good ones. I think he may have had maybe 7 or 8 good games maximum before he ran out of steam before the end of the season. And then has started this one just as bad.

23 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

He's probably been our worst player from general play this season, so that's good news. However, I'm not entirely sure this actually solves much of anything. 

Disagree, holmes and Lawrence have been shocking. They offer nothing to the team imo.

26 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

He's probably been our worst player from general play this season, so that's good news. However, I'm not entirely sure this actually solves much of anything. 

Our ratings suggest Lawrence, Waghorn, Holmes, MTW, Sibley and Forsyth have all been worse.

2 hours ago, WilkoRam said:

Oh don't be so bloody sensible! ? #COYR

Our best performances this season have been when Rooney wasn’t in the team. Coincidence? I think not. My worry is now we perform better & people think this is the effect of Rooney the manager when its just that we are no longer playing with 10 men

The cynical side of me thinks that Rooney & his agent have engineered this situation at the time when we play Wycombe & Coventry. If we win then the story will all be how Rooney is the next Sir Alex Ferguson. If we lose it will be because Rooney wasn’t in the team & it’s the players fault. Win Win for Rooney either way.

Half of me wants the team to win without him to show what a handbrake he has been on our performances but the other half wants us to be embarrassed to show what a pathetic managerial appointment he would be.

Either way for me the sooner he is out of our club the better I we can get back to proper football without the media circus that surrounds him

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

DET: "Wayne Rooney is to concentrate solely on leading from the sidelines as Derby County head into a huge bottom of the Championship clash with Wycombe Wanderers.

Rooney has taken over as head figure of the four-strong group of coaches who have run the side since Phillip Cocu departed as manager.

The Telegraph report that the decision was taken this morning following last night's dispiriting 3-0 loss at Middlesbrough."

Wow  not even on the bench 

Personally I think this is a positive move, because it will (a) stop some of the criticisms, and (b) it really does allow him to sink or swim as a manager. The down side is, nowhere to hide.

Lets be honest, two good wins with spirited performances, we'll be hailing him as a master stroke management appointment. If we put out two more drab performances, his chances of management with Derby will sink out of sight. And rightly so, in my opinion.

He has no place to hide, but he has every chance to put himself in the shop window properly.

This is a sensible step. If there is a marked improvement in our energy levels and cohesion as a team as a result of this change then we might stand a chance of actually picking up some points.

A win against Wycomb will not convince me Rooney is the man for the job, but it would be a welcome change from the recent dross we have had to put up with.

56 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I don't so much think he's been individually worst, he's been pretty lame but so have most of our players. I do think however that him being in the team overall hasn't been positive, or consistently positive at any rate.

But I'm all for clean slate and new hope, so lets see how this goes.

24 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

If we lose it will be because Rooney wasn’t in the team & it’s the players fault. Win Win for Rooney either way.

Half of me wants the team to win without him to show what a handbrake he has been on our performances but the other half wants us to be embarrassed to show what a pathetic managerial appointment he would be.

Either way for me the sooner he is out of our club the better I we can get back to proper football without the media circus that surrounds him

Our fans (well, some) will credit a win to McClaren being back, a loss to Rooney and Rosenoir not being put in stocks outside the assembly rooms and pelted with rotten veg.

I don't ever want us to lose any match ever.

On your last point, i totally agree. For most of my time supporting Derby, we've been fairly unfasionable but known as a proper club with passionate fans and I prefer that to the "stardust" of "played for England in the 2000s" characters being involved. Of course, Rooney, like McClaren, like Lampard, has the chance to win my fickle heart very quickly by winning a few games.

We should have a proper manager appointed by now. The blame for that rests solely with Mel and the Sheikh. 

In regards to Rooney concentrating on managing it’s the correct action but 2 matches too late. 

Let’s not beat around the bush we should beating Wycombe and Coventry on paper. The fact seem clueless means it’s no forgone conclusion. But if Wayne masterminds 2 wins I’m not going to be won over due to the opposition we’re facing. If we look dominant and put both to the sword there might be more merit in a win, but failing that Wayne will simply be doing what is expected. 

hi all

I applaud this very sensible decision by Wazza.  He now has the chance, with help from the Mac, to show what he can do now that he isn't competing for a place on the pitch with anyone.  He will gain much respect among the squad for this decision I believe, and hopefully we will see a much improved performance tomorrow as a result.  At least now the lines of accountability are clear.  It can't get any worse, so the only way is up!  Give him until Xmas to show what he can do and then we'll know.

LR2  

Archived